Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating before combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game of Scythe on Steam. It's the first time I played that way as I normally play solo, two player with my wife or 5-7 players with a game group.

In my digital game, I needed a star for combat to achieve an objective. I launched an attack against a Saxony mech and one worker. Before combat, it said, "Retreat" and the mech and worker moved back to Saxony base and I did not get a combat star.

Have I been playing wrong forever? I have not looked at the Scythe rule book in a long time but is "retreat before combat" possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's odd. There's no core rule in Scythe like that...I'm trying to think if there is an asymmetric ability that allows it, but I can't think of it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's odd. There's no core rule in Scythe like that...I'm trying to think if there is an asymmetric ability that allows it, but I can't think of it either.
Okay, so at least I know I/we have not been playing wrong this whole time.

I know I'm not losing it. I moved my mech through a tunnel to attack a Saxony mech and worker. "Retreat" came up on the screen, they moved back to the base, I lost a popularity and there was no combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need my confirmation since the freaking designer just confirmed it, but I can't think of a rule that would allow that either. Sounds like a bug to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the defender had any cards and power?
With no cards and power, its an assured defeat.

Maybe the online game engine is coded this way so to accelerate combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
Did the defender had any cards and power?
With no cards and power, its an assured defeat.

Maybe the online game engine is coded this way so to accelerate combat.
I did check before moving into combat. Defender (Saxony) had 1 combat card and 2 power. I knew I was in a position to win, get a combat card which would have let me accomplish an objective. I could understand the system being designed to accelerate combat if there were no odds of victory but I was essentially denied two stars, one for winning the combat and one for my objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arron Eicholz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I just reread the entire rulebook. The only real hint of retreat is the Nordic Seaworthy ability, but this is referring to after combat loss. All other references refer to loss in combat or workers retreating after combat loss.

I do think the idea of retreating from combat prior to fighting might be an interesting mix. However this might be better as an addition to the encounter cards or maybe a variation card.

Encounter card text ideas:
Note there are more than the normal 3 options. Since none of these have been play tested yet, I figured I’d throw out multiple ideas for review and comment and see what we come up with.

(Keep this card without reading it out loud if you choose any of these options.) You may reveal and discard this card before combat.

Agree with the attackers ideas: Pay 3 oil and retreat to your home base.

Stand up to an aggressor: Gain 1 popularity and 2 power.

Broker a peace deal: Pay $2 and 1 oil to retreat to an adjacent unoccupied territory.

Bribe the attacking army to retreat: Pay $2 and 1 popularity for each of your units to your opponent. Opponent gains paid popularity (min 2 popularity) and opponent retreats to their home base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azor Ahai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling it was a glitch in the game. There isn't any rule that works that way. My guess is that digital edition didn't realize there was a mech there and just thought that territory had a worker. This would cause that reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azor Ahai VII wrote:
I have a feeling it was a glitch in the game. There isn't any rule that works that way. My guess is that digital edition didn't realize there was a mech there and just thought that territory had a worker. This would cause that reaction.
This makes sense but I'm pretty sure it happened when Saxony attacked the Nordic also. Those were the two bots I was playing against and it was hard to follow but I saw the word "Retreat" pop up.

I will obviously try the digital version again at some point and see if it was just a glitch or a misrepresentation of the rules.

I actually emailed Asmodee about it and I'll see what they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - I've logged tons of time on the digital edition since it was released (and some before that when it was in beta), and I've not yet encountered what you describe. It appears that for some reason the AI is only recognizing the presence of worker(s) in the hexes you've attacked?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you positive there was a mech on the hex? I'm pretty sure what you're describing happens if you chase off workers that aren't protected by a mech or character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simplisticton wrote:
Are you positive there was a mech on the hex? I'm pretty sure what you're describing happens if you chase off workers that aren't protected by a mech or character.
I am 100% positive. I watched the mech fly over the board to its base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
BrokenAxe wrote:
simplisticton wrote:
I am 100% positive. I watched the mech fly over the board to its base.
I thought I had this happen to me as well in my online game. At first, I was a little confused, but let it slide as maybe I had read the map wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls