Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Death Slaad (ouch) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure I'm getting this right (hope that I am wrong but fear I'm not).

I have Surging Evil Dragonfire card in effect (Attack strength of all Martial encounters are +1)

I'm Martial and facing Death Slaad (Martial) which is down his first level. He has Strength and is tripped (was that the term?). Dragonfire level is 7 and he has effects 5+ +1 damage, 7+ +1 additional damage.

So does he really do:
2 base
+1 Dragonfire effect
+1 Strength
+1 Dragonfire 5+
+1 Dragonfire 7+
For a total of 6 damage?

(My tank warrior has 5 HP )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close...

except there's a few things you may be doing incorrectly...

First:
The Dragonfire Level (DFL) marks on the card only take effect when the card is revealed.

Put another way, look at the DFL when it appears, that determines the card's strength:
DFL Slaad's strength
0-4 no bonus (STR 2)
5-6 +1 strength (STR 3)
7+ +1 strength (STR 4)

Note also that some magic items (like armors) can allow a character to ignore strength bonuses applied to an encounter.

Second:
In order to 'trip' a tripwire, you must damage below the tripwire.

The Death Slaad's damage track is:
6 | MM / AA / 3

So he doesn't get Strength until you have done 6 and the MM level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

The Dragonfire Level (DFL) marks on the card only take effect when the card is revealed.
Sorry, not quite sure I'm following you there? Is the bonus damage fixed and set at the point the Slaad was spawned? If so it was spawned the previous turn by another Dragonfire card effect at which point the DFL was 6.
If that's a correct understanding of what you said it will "only" do 5 points of damage instead of 6, which won't help me with my 5 remaining HPs anyway

Oh, missed the part about tripped, so he won't do that extra damage either then since I haven't hurt him below that line. My tank will then survive from being stunned another turn.

....and there was much rejoicing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
Not sure I'm getting this right (hope that I am wrong but fear I'm not).

I have Surging Evil Dragonfire card in effect (Attack strength of all Martial encounters are +1)

I'm Martial and facing Death Slaad (Martial) which is down his first level. He has Strength and is tripped (was that the term?). Dragonfire level is 7 and he has effects 5+ +1 damage, 7+ +1 additional damage.

So does he really do:
2 base
+1 Dragonfire effect
+1 Strength
+1 Dragonfire 5+
+1 Dragonfire 7+
For a total of 6 damage?

(My tank warrior has 5 HP )
Given the above...

2 base
+1 (Dragonfire Effect: Martial)
+1 Strength Tripwire
+1 Dragonfire 5+ (I suspect this is correct)
+1 Dragonfire 7+ (I suspect this is not correct but cannot be 100% positive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Think you got it right and spotted my mistakes, thank you!

The Death Slaad is last remaining encounter of the 2nd scene on my first ever adventure (and this is supposed to be an easy one, phew)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Sorry, not quite sure I'm following you there? Is the bonus damage fixed and set at the point the Slaad was spawned? If so it was spawned the previous turn by another Dragonfire card effect at which point the DFL was 6.
If that's a correct understanding of what you said it will "only" do 5 points of damage instead of 6, which won't help me with my 5 remaining HPs anyway

Oh, missed the part about tripped, so he won't do that extra damage either then since I haven't hurt him below that line. My tank will then survive from being stunned another turn.

....and there was much rejoicing
Yes:
rules, p11, lower left corner:
DRAGONFIRE ICON
Some effects and card abilities trigger only when the Dragonfire level reaches a particular threshold. The number next to the Dragonfire icon shows the Dragonfire level necessary for the ability or effect to trigger. For example, 5+ means that the ability or effect listed after the icon triggers if the Dragonfire level is 5 or higher. However, these Dragonfire level effects only apply when the card is revealed, unless the effect also includes the Continuous icon. For example, the Green Slaad enters play while the Dragonfire level is at 4. However, because the 5+ does not have a Continuous icon, when the Dragonfire level hits 5, even if the Green Slaad is still in play, that effect would not occur; i.e., the “Summon any” effect would only apply if the Dragonfire level were 5 at the time the card is revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to know... are you up really late, or really early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
Really, really late

And DFL going into scene 3 will be 9 or 10 at least, it will be a rough ride as all chars are basically out of HPs and the tank is now stunned and exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Really, really late

And DFL going into scene 3 will be 9 or 10 at least, it will be a rough ride as all chars are basically out of HPs and the tank is now stunned and exhausted.
You got 3 xp and learned stuff, or you get 5 xp and some probably silly common potions and scrolls.

Either way, you've had a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Got 2 exhausted but no longer stunned characters ending scene 2. Starting scene 3 vs 6 dungeon 2 mobs, each requiring more damage than the party can provide. Each character have like 2-3 HP left.
It's looking very much like scene 3 will be whole party stunned turn 1 and wiped turn 2 and nothing really can prevent it.
But as you say, 3 XP at least.

I must confess I haven't read the rules enough to know what happens after this adventure (or between any adventures) so I've got some learning to do before my second attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Well, came quite close in the end, 2 damaged encounters remaining when a Dragonfire card dished out 3p/char damage and knocked the last 2 characters unconscious.
My doom in the end was my inability to do black damage as the mashal character was the first one to fall.
Walked away with 3XP and a hunger for revenge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
Well, came quite close in the end, 2 damaged encounters remaining when a Dragonfire card dished out 3p/char damage and knocked the last 2 characters unconscious.
My doom in the end was my inability to do black damage as the mashal character was the first one to fall.
Walked away with 3XP and a hunger for revenge...
That's Dragonfire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls