Subject: How to minimise shelf wear? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi folks,

New to board gaming so all of our games still look pristine. However I bought a used game recently and a lot of the colour had rubbed off the face and one side of the box. The previous owner said it was just wear from storing it on the shelf.

I’m wondering what you all do to avoid or minimise this sort of damage? I’d like to keep my games looking shiny and new for as long as possible!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

Um, I don't.

For me, the box is just there to protect the game while it's being stored.

A well-worn box, and a well-worn game for that matter, I think look cool. It shows the game has been played and enjoyed a lot.

Sorry I can't be helpful to ya'.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use shelf paper.

OR On the bottom of each of my shelves I have cut out and laid this out

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Mat-under-grip-Skid/dp/B00K...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Hemisphere
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way to guarantee no harm comes to your games is to never play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
I keep my games in the closet, away from UV light. My book spines, OTOH, are a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EDIT: replying to No One and Scott: You know, it’s funny you should say that because I’m generally on board with the wabi-sabi aesthetic in pretty much everything else I own, but for some reason I am just not OK with my board game boxes getting tatty. I know it seems crazy and I still don’t understand what makes them different in my mind from everything else. It’s an odd thing that I have been pondering since I bought this used game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Put all the components in other boxes and leave your empty pristine game boxes on your shelf for show. Wrap the shelf with plastic to keep out the dust, like your furniture. Just kidding

But seriously, a played game is a worn game. Some boxes are much more prone to wear, whereas glossy stiff boxes like my GMT games look like new forever. Limiting the number of games you stack together and carefully removing them from the top down rather than sliding them out probably helps. And also not toting them around to friends’ houses, cons, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
The only way to guarantee no harm comes to your games is to never play them.
"The only winning move is not to play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Levrette wrote:
EDIT: replying to No One and Scott: You know, it’s funny you should say that because I’m generally on board with the wabi-sabi aesthetic in pretty much everything else I own, but for some reason I am just not OK with my board game boxes getting tatty. I know it seems crazy and I still don’t understand what makes them different in my mind from everything else. It’s an odd thing that I have been pondering since I bought this used game.
Fair 'nuff. The suggestions so far of shelf paper and closed cabinets seem the best to me. Maybe take that one step further and instead of paper, use cloth? I've not really heard of ink rubbing off into cloth after a long period of time of touching it. I could be wrong, though.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store most of my games in clear or semi-opaque plastic bags, most with a thickness like a ziploc (or slightly thicker) bag with the spine facing outwards. Think comic book plastic bags, but for games.

The plastic minimizes box wear when transporting games, protects against rain/water damage and general wear just from pulling games from a shelf.

Since I often trade and sell games on the bgg marketplace, minimizing box wear matters to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that simply sitting on a shelf clearly does not do much damage to a box. The issue is scraping (e.g. if you slide a box out from under a heavy pile of other games, so there's pressure on it as it scrapes its way along the shelf surface). So simply be careful about that. E.g. if a game is at the bottom of a stack, lift the stack up a bit so there's no pressure on the game you're sliding out.

I also suspect that a lot of "shelf wear" is not really "shelf wear" at all, but transport wear (carrying a game in a box/bag/sack/etc to game meetings, and e.g. loose games sliding around en route, scraping & banging against each other or other stuff in the container, or sliding around loose in a car, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A well worn box is not only doing it's job of protecting the contents inside it, it's also a sign of how loved that particular game is. Imagine how many times it had to be slid out of it's shelf space, or transported from game night to game night, or opened up and played. The worn box is a sign of dignity and endurance, much like the wrinkles all over my face! We would all like to keep our expensive games pristine and fresh looking but in the end they are just a bunch of parts and pieces we use as an excuse to have a good time alongside other people and if some cardboard gets a little worn out from it so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games on shelves for 10 years and 99% of them look pristine. I think the "wear" has more to do with how careful you are sliding them off and on the shelves. I never try to slide games out from the middle or bottom of a stack. I lift the games off the top and then lift the game I want to play. Frictionless box movement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
I store most of my games in clear, semi-opaque plastic bags, most with a thickness like a ziploc bag with the spine facing outwards. Think comic book plastic bags, but for games.

The plastic minimizes box wear when transporting games, protects against rain/water damage and general wear just from pulling games from a shelf.

Since I often trade and sell games on the bgg marketplace, minimizing box wear matters to me.
Yep. Sleeve'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do your game boxes really wear from just taking them off the shelf and putting them back?
I mean, if you carry them around a lot, sure, but just on the shelf?

(I do carry my games around, so with those boxes that have wear, I think that's where that comes from. I have started to wrap them in towels and things for travel, which reduces box damage to basically nothing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I look for games on BGG marketplace, I look for the most worn out boxes for sale, as long as the components are complete. Lower prices are nice of course, but I also like the idea of buying well-loved games from hobbyists that care more about playing and passing games along than reselling and making a profit.

I’m sure I’m a minority opinion, which is good - it means those well-loved copies stay in the marketplace waiting for me to come by. But I think the majority preference for pristine copies may mean sellers of worn copies are less likely to post them, which is unfortunate.

It’s interesting how the OP said he doesn’t care about wear on other things he owns but is particular about his games. I have noticed that too among many other hobbyists I know - it’s a strange phenomenon. I try not to judge them, unlike the unavoidable knee-jerk reaction I have when I walk into someone’s home where all the furniture is covered in plastic. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Picayune
MS
flag msg tools
mb
Hey,

I wouldn't use cloth to set your board games on. Although its an extremely small amount, cloth traps the moister in the air, as well as paper. Which will give your boxes an aged look over time.

As previously mentioned, sealing your games in plastic bags is the best route. Also, keep them away from windows as much as possible. The UV rays are your enemy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to store each of your games in a hermetically sealed plastic bag. Of course, you need to do this in a clean room so no contaminates get in your game boxes when you open them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
I store most of my games in clear, semi-opaque plastic bags, most with a thickness like a ziploc bag with the spine facing outwards. Think comic book plastic bags, but for games.

Do you have a link to the bags you like? I did some research on options to protect valuable game boxes while still viewing them. I didn't find an economical product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Picayune
MS
flag msg tools
mb
Perrin2017 wrote:
You need to store each of your games in a hermetically sealed plastic bag. Of course, you need to do this in a clean room so no contaminates get in your game boxes when you open them.
Made me laugh, laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
monstrooper wrote:

Do you have a link to the bags you like? I did some research on options to protect valuable game boxes while still viewing them. I didn't find an economical product.
Awhile ago, I picked up a bunch (over 50) of medium sized, fairly durable, semi-opaque plastic bags used by a Canada Post postal outlet for free that are just the right size for most GMT/AH boxed games and smaller boxed eurogames like the Rio Grande/Alea bookshelf games (e.g. the Rio Grande edition of Puerto Rico).

For larger sized games, I recycle opaque and clear plastic bags from stores like IKEA and where ever, so I don't have a link. I'd try a local dollar store or hardware store for suitably sized bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

It’s interesting how the OP said he doesn’t care about wear on other things he owns but is particular about his games. I have noticed that too among many other hobbyists I know - it’s a strange phenomenon. I try not to judge them, unlike the unavoidable knee-jerk reaction I have when I walk into someone’s home where all the furniture is covered in plastic. shake

She, not he

For me I think it is a combination of two different things - firstly, I rarely buy new things. My house is old, with exposed beams and wiring etc, and it’s furnished with Edwardian and colonial (that’s late 1800s - I’m in Australia) antiques - and not the perfectly restored stuff either! In all aspects of purchasing, I like finding unusual things on the second hand market. So when I do buy shiny new things, I expect them to arrive shiny (I’m looking at you, Amazon, sending me dinged-up games!) and I like them to stay shiny.

Secondly, I’m not a collector by any means, I’m sort of a minimalist I guess, so my little collection is already a huge extravagance for me, both in terms of money (see: time) and space. Speaking of which, I’m very much of the “do it once, do it right” mentality too, so I have spent a lot of time finding games that I think we will like, and money to buy them, and I guess I want that investment to last a long time.

I’m not going to go so far as to sleeve everything and store games in plastic bags, but I was not keen on the idea that they would get really worn out just sitting on the shelf! I was more looking for ways to stack or store them that would mitigate that. But since it seems it’s mainly rough handling and taking them places in your backpack that causes the issues, so I’m not too worried anymore.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruticus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't stack too many games on each other. I usually only stack 3 high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the shrink on, just remove the bottom side of it. If you need to use duct tape to have it stay on.
You'll also create less plastic waste that way.

And avoid purchasing on amazon, purchase from specialized stores to protect the hobby and have it last longer otherwise it will be swallowed by the monster and all your games will be amazon products and there will be no alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

And avoid purchasing on amazon, purchase from specialized stores to protect the hobby and have it last longer otherwise it will be swallowed by the monster and all your games will be amazon products and there will be no alternative.
I live in Australia, so the only way I can buy some games (Glüx, for instance) is from Amazon US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |