Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: He should get tenure for this — Prof Harvey vs. Nyarthotep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordie Lightfoot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just played a rather interesting solo victory against Nyarthotep.

I was dealt a rather clueless foursome of the Jenny, Harvey, Bob and Sister Mary. Things were off to a rocky start when the second mythos card produced a monster surge that plagued the Witch House with a pair of Dark Young, the Black Man, and some other miscellaneous beasties. That gate would stay open all game. The monster cup produced some more frightful surprises in the next few rounds, and soon the town had a pair of active Shogoths rampaging the streets.

Despite the monster activity, an estate sale was held uptown, and Bob and Harvey pooled their money to get some nifty magical goods, and had enough left over for Harvey to join the Silver Twilight Lodge shortly after.

Other than that though, the team was mostly pummeled by early game encounters. Mary got roughed up by the Sheldon Gang exploring the woods, and Jenny witnessed a horrid suicide at the train station before being arrested for carrying whiskey during a Prohibition crackdown.

To make matters worse, the Mythos deck turned up "The Stars Are Right". Between a series of failed rolls on that (3 in a row, plus a few more), and continuous gates opening all over Arkham, sometimes right on our dauntless investigators, Nyarthotep was proving quick to rouse.

During one of these unexpected openings, Harvey found himself in the Great Hall of Celeano. There, he found a rare tome, which upon reading, gave him a huge number of clues — I managed to roll 5 successes on a 7-die Lore+2 check! Between this and another highly successful clue-gathering encounter in the Inner Sanctum of the Silver Twilight Lounge, Harvey was quickly becoming the team's resident mythos expert.

While Jenny searched for allies to prevent "The Stars Are Right" and Mary worked on monster control (don't sniff at a Marksman nun with a magic lamp!), Bob was successfully exploring Arkham and gaining clues to become a close second to Harvey in mythos knowledge. And with Nyarthotep awakening fast, it became clear that we were not going to win by sealing gates.

The team's strategy shifted to gathering physical weapons and clues as quickly as possible. Jenny managed to use her accumulated wealth to grab a Rifle for the team at the general store, but before any serious accumulation of resources could take place, Nyarthotep awoke.

It was a long and grueling battle, and all but Harvey would eventually succumb to the Ancient One's persistent Lore-based attack. But eventually the stolid professor, armed with a tommy gun, overcame the creeping evil — and with 5 clue tokens to spare! There was evidently some strange and powerful knowledge hidden in that tome of Celeano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenure would be an appropriate reward for Mandy, Amanda, Daisy, or Kate - for Harvey, I assume he got tenure long ago and tonight's reward should be Emeritus and a Grant, maybe a Fellowship and/or Chair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordie Lightfoot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Certainly! I wrote this late at night and was unable to think up a pithier title.

From what I've heard from friends in academia, I'm not sure department chairship is much of a reward though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! Yes, Celeano is definitely the most beneficial of the Other Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls