giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


by Giampiero Randazzo

Components: Double-Six Domino Set

Game for 2 Players
Playtime: 10-15 min





Place the tiles in the center of the table as shown in on of the above the images.
The remaining tiles will be divided among the players. Each player must keep his tiles so that the other does not see the value.

Fence level 1 has 10 tiles on the board and 9 for each player
or
Fence level 2 has 12 tiles on the board and 8 for each player

Use a pencil and paper to keep score.

Goal:
Complete the fence by placing tiles in each of the gaps.






On your turn:
Place 1 tile in a gap in the fence. The numbers on each side of the tile must match the numbers they are touching on the adjacent dominoes. Before you place your domino, you may swap 2 dominoes or turn any one domino around (reversing the number order) to create a valid gap in which to place your tile. When doing this, all adjacent tiles must still follow the placement rule.

If you were able to place a tile without moving or turning a tile, you score 2 points. If you moved or turned a tile before placing your tile, you score 1 point. If you were unable to place a tile, you lost a point.


Game End:
When the fence is complete or both players are unable to place any more tiles, the game ends. The player with the most victory points wins. If there is a tie, the player who played the most tiles wins.

Double-Six Domino Set_PnP_low ink

participate in the category:
BEST DOMINO GAME


Thank you Joshua Blaylock for the help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an interesting strategy game, but I have a few questions right off the bat.

1)Is the setup variable, or does it have to be the exact numbers in the pictures?

2)The scoring and example say something about "tile placed with movement or overturning of one or two tiles", but the rules don't state anything about that option. Can I swap any 2 existing tiles? Can I turn a tile? If I move/turn a tile, do the placement rules still have to apply (existing tiles still have to match up on sides that are touching)?

3)When does the game end?

Also, you have 2 winning conditions, scoring points should happen during the game instead of at the end of the game (this can be explained better to prevent confusion), and it looks like you're supposed to build both fences, but I believe the intention is to only build 1.

I would gladly help you rewrite the rules if you need it.

Finally, the double-six link that you have requires that I request access. I don't know a lot about how to use Google Drive, but I know that you can make it available to anyone with the link.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djayshaggy wrote:
This looks like an interesting strategy game, but I have a few questions right off the bat.

1)Is the setup variable, or does it have to be the exact numbers in the pictures?
No, it is certainly variable, the images serve only as an example

djayshaggy wrote:

2)The scoring and example say something about "tile placed with movement or overturning of one or two tiles", but the rules don't state anything about that option. Can I swap any 2 existing tiles? Can I turn a tile? If I move/turn a tile, do the placement rules still have to apply (existing tiles still have to match up on sides that are touching)?
I meant that I can have a tile that closes a piece of fence with exact numbers, without moving anything; then I get two points.
But I can have the possibility of closing a piece of fence by moving or flipping the tiles in the field; I close the fence, but I get only one point.

djayshaggy wrote:

3)When does the game end?
When one of the players finishes the tiles to be placed or when none of the players is able to place the ones he has.

djayshaggy wrote:

Also, you have 2 winning conditions, scoring points should happen during the game instead of at the end of the game (this can be explained better to prevent confusion), and it looks like you're supposed to build both fences, but I believe the intention is to only build 1.
Players can choose the difficulty by choosing level 1 with fewer tiles or level 2 with more tiles.

djayshaggy wrote:

I would gladly help you rewrite the rules if you need it.
Thank you, you're so kind! I always have difficulty expressing myself in English ...

djayshaggy wrote:

Finally, the double-six link that you have requires that I request access. I don't know a lot about how to use Google Drive, but I know that you can make it available to anyone with the link.
I proceeded to make the file available ... I do not know why Drive requested access ... very strange.

Joshua, Thank you very much for your interest, your questions and suggestions!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my understanding of the rules. Let me know if I got anything wrong:



Place the tiles in the center of the table as shown in on of the above the images.
The remaining tiles will be divided among the players. Each player must keep his tiles so that the other does not see the value.

Fence level 1 has 10 tiles on the board and 9 for each player
or
Fence level 2 has 12 tiles on the board and 8 for each player

Use a pencil and paper to keep score.

Goal:
Complete the fence by placing tiles in each of the gaps.


On your turn:
Place 1 tile in a gap in the fence. The numbers on each side of the tile must match the numbers they are touching on the adjacent dominoes. Before you place your domino, you may swap 2 dominoes or turn any one domino around (reversing the number order) to create a valid gap in which to place your tile. When doing this, all adjacent tiles must still follow the placement rule.

If you were able to place a tile without moving or turning a tile, you score 2 points. If you moved or turned a tile before placing your tile, you score 1 point. If you were unable to place a tile, you lost a point.


Game End:
When the fence is complete or both players are unable to place any more tiles, the game ends. The player with the most victory points wins. If there is a tie, the player who played the most tiles wins.
1 
 Thumb up
30.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very good!!

Thanks so much, Josh!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Perlini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Giampiero,

I like your game: simple and elegant! It would be great for me to have the game lasts a little longer, though, with more decisions. Maybe giving the player more options to manipulate the placed tiles?

Did you try to use two set of domino pieces and to create various setups with different shapes and more tiles?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
epicurus wrote:
Hi Giampiero,

I like your game: simple and elegant! It would be great for me to have the game lasts a little longer, though, with more decisions. Maybe giving the player more options to manipulate the placed tiles?

Did you try to use two set of domino pieces and to create various setups with different shapes and more tiles?
Hi Matteo, I'm glad you like it!

Honestly I didn't think of a double set; I thought of a quick game to get kids involved.

However, it is a test we can do!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Perlini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
epicurus wrote:
Hi Giampiero,

I like your game: simple and elegant! It would be great for me to have the game lasts a little longer, though, with more decisions. Maybe giving the player more options to manipulate the placed tiles?

Did you try to use two set of domino pieces and to create various setups with different shapes and more tiles?
Hi Matteo, I'm glad you like it!

Honestly I didn't think of a double set; I thought of a quick game to get kids involved.

However, it is a test we can do!
Hi Giampiero,
you are absolutely right, Fence is perfect the way it is for quick games for kids. thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Example Fence level 1 game

Tile setup





The game ends in a draw, both for score and for placed tiles!
2 
 Thumb up
3.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bruner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - this game seems interesting enough and simple enough that I think I will try and give it a try tonight or tomorrow. One question about what you do on your turn:

My understanding is your turn options are as follows:

1. You immediately place a tile (without swapping tiles or turning tiles). If you do this then you get two points - and you perform no other actions.
2. You can choose to swap two tiles or move one tile. If you do this then you place a tile afterwards and only get one point.
3. You can choose to swap two tiles or move one tile. If you still can't place a tile then you lose one point.

I guess my clarification/confusion is with item one above. To get two points I can't do anything other than simply place a tile I already have, correct? Because if I swap two tiles or turn one tile then I've "moved or turned a tile before I placed one" and therefore am only eligible for one point. So if I wanted to swap two tiles and play a tile (somewhere unrelated to the two that I swapped) then I would only get one point, correct?
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbruner1984 wrote:
Hi - this game seems interesting enough and simple enough that I think I will try and give it a try tonight or tomorrow. One question about what you do on your turn:

My understanding is your turn options are as follows:

1. You immediately place a tile (without swapping tiles or turning tiles). If you do this then you get two points - and you perform no other actions.
2. You can choose to swap two tiles or move one tile. If you do this then you place a tile afterwards and only get one point.
3. You can choose to swap two tiles or move one tile. If you still can't place a tile then you lose one point.

I guess my clarification/confusion is with item one above. To get two points I can't do anything other than simply place a tile I already have, correct? Because if I swap two tiles or turn one tile then I've "moved or turned a tile before I placed one" and therefore am only eligible for one point. So if I wanted to swap two tiles and play a tile (somewhere unrelated to the two that I swapped) then I would only get one point, correct?
Totally right!

Thank you for watching the game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bruner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this game last night (5 - games total, level 1 and level 2) and it was a lot of fun. It's a fairly simple and fun game - and I rather enjoyed looking around the table to see what my options were to try and gain the most points. It was fun discovering those options!

A few things to clarify - and I might add that I don't think two games that we played were played under the same set of rules.

1. On your turn when "swapping two dominoes" can you swap ANY two dominoes? Including the ones in you and your opponent's hand? Or do they have to be the exposed ones on the table?

2. If the swapped dominoes have to be the ones on the table then what are the movement restrictions for swapping one that is currently aligned vertically with one that is aligned horizontally - as one could essentially "swap" and "turn" both at the same time if this isn't clearly defined? (FYI - our favorite version of the game was being able to swap a domino that you have in your hand with one that you have on the table.)

3. Have you tried altering the "turn one tile" rule to "turn two tiles"? I propose this because in my note 2 above - if you can align a horizontal tile any way you want when swapping it with a vertical tile then essentially you are swapping and turning. An equalizer would be to allow you to keep two tiles in the same spot and simply turn them. That keeps both turn options equal. (But perhaps they were already equal and I was just playing wrong. LOL.)

4. We ended a game with the same number of points and the same number of tiles played. Perhaps you need to go deeper in the tie-breaker rules as we essentially ended in a tie. Perhaps the person with the fewest pips on the dominoes still in their hand? This would create urgency in getting rid of your higher dominoes first.

Overall, a fun and interesting game that you have created here. My wife and I enjoyed it - in all it's forms that we were able to play. Thanks!

2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbruner1984 wrote:
I got to play this game last night (5 - games total, level 1 and level 2) and it was a lot of fun. It's a fairly simple and fun game - and I rather enjoyed looking around the table to see what my options were to try and gain the most points. It was fun discovering those options!
I'm glad you and your wife had fun!

mbruner1984 wrote:

A few things to clarify - and I might add that I don't think two games that we played were played under the same set of rules.

1. On your turn when "swapping two dominoes" can you swap ANY two dominoes? Including the ones in you and your opponent's hand? Or do they have to be the exposed ones on the table?
No, only those placed on the table.
mbruner1984 wrote:

2. If the swapped dominoes have to be the ones on the table then what are the movement restrictions for swapping one that is currently aligned vertically with one that is aligned horizontally - as one could essentially "swap" and "turn" both at the same time if this isn't clearly defined? (FYI - our favorite version of the game was being able to swap a domino that you have in your hand with one that you have on the table.)
You can only change one, which is placed horizontally or vertically.
This variant of yours can easily be entered! I believe that in this way the score to be given must be different from the first two cases ... maybe half a point? Tell me what you think...

mbruner1984 wrote:

3. Have you tried altering the "turn one tile" rule to "turn two tiles"? I propose this because in my note 2 above - if you can align a horizontal tile any way you want when swapping it with a vertical tile then essentially you are swapping and turning. An equalizer would be to allow you to keep two tiles in the same spot and simply turn them. That keeps both turn options equal. (But perhaps they were already equal and I was just playing wrong. LOL.)
This rule can also be entered, but score restrictions should be increased ...

mbruner1984 wrote:

4. We ended a game with the same number of points and the same number of tiles played. Perhaps you need to go deeper in the tie-breaker rules as we essentially ended in a tie. Perhaps the person with the fewest pips on the dominoes still in their hand? This would create urgency in getting rid of your higher dominoes first.
Another suggestion accepted.
After the contest I will insert all the suggestions in a booklet of final rules and I will make it available ... obviously with due credits!

mbruner1984 wrote:

Overall, a fun and interesting game that you have created here. My wife and I enjoyed it - in all it's forms that we were able to play. Thanks!
Many thanks to you two!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bruner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
mbruner1984 wrote:

2. If the swapped dominoes have to be the ones on the table then what are the movement restrictions for swapping one that is currently aligned vertically with one that is aligned horizontally - as one could essentially "swap" and "turn" both at the same time if this isn't clearly defined? (FYI - our favorite version of the game was being able to swap a domino that you have in your hand with one that you have on the table.)
You can only change one, which is placed horizontally or vertically.
This variant of yours can easily be entered! I believe that in this way the score to be given must be different from the first two cases ... maybe half a point? Tell me what you think...

Sorry - clarification again. Are you "swapping" a table domino for another table domino (essentially trading spaces) or are you swapping one in your hand for one on the table? Based on your response I'm assuming it is one in your hand for one on the table... and that answers my question. Thanks!

Trading spaces might also be a good turn option, but then trading a horizontal one for a vertical one gets complicated...

And I think your scoring system is great! I didn't necessarily like the minus 1 as I think not scoring any is punishment enough for not being able to place a tile. Plus, if one player can keep going and the other can't then the player that is still able to place tiles will win... regardless of the minus points of the other player or not. The ending felt awkward when one player was scoring minus points and the other was still scoring positive. But - that was probably just me.

Thanks again!
1 
 Thumb up
25.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TA_DAH! Here are the results!


Best domino game: Fence

Best mechanics: 10th place

Best date night game: 4th place

Best game to play with your child: 5th place

Best gateway game: 16th place

Best gamer's game: 18th place



Speaking of winners ... I think mine is not entirely deserved, as the only voice of the category ... there is no competition!
So, I'll share the winning with those who gave me good advice and feedback!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Perlini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Giampiero, excellent result!

Congratulations. I wish you the best for this and the next projects.
1 
 Thumb up
25.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the prize of the competition from John and, as promised, I gave a part to those who gave their contribution to this little idea.

Thank you all!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Perlini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
I just received the prize of the competition from John and, as promised, I gave a part to those who gave their contribution to this little idea.

Thank you all!
Giampiero, I can only say this: you are too kind. Thank you for everything. modest
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bruner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
I just received the prize of the competition from John and, as promised, I gave a part to those who gave their contribution to this little idea.

Thank you all!
Thank you! I really enjoyed playing your game. Best of luck to you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls