Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Section activation. Solo against Robots. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I'm blue.
The black robot is leader and after being activated has come up behind and finished in the same corner automatically lapping (for a second time) the purple robot.
According to the rules this section now activates.
Who gets to move? Just the recently lapped purple robot or me and the purple robot?

My thoughts were just the purple robot who simply pops in front of the black robot but stops behind me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Welch
United Kingdom
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find these situations a bit of a headache, the corner gets split into subsections so next car to move will be behind black. I believe purple cannot unlap black so it will be yellow to move. Im sure someone will correct If I am wrong and I will have to go back over the rules again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Икрам Абдурахманов
Russia
flag msg tools
Активируется всегда раздел за лидером поэтому должен двигаться фиолетовый но он уже не может обогнать лидера значит он пропускает ход и следующий двигается жёлтый и так далее и затем только ты .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader only laps the purple if it has at least 1 mp left to lap in a corner. It does not automatically lap by entering the same space. (Updated)

The section is split in front of the leader, so the leader’s sub-section is activated and the purple gets to go. It does nothing, because a robot will not try to unlap itself. All other sections are activated and eventually it will get to your sub-section when you can move. Note that when you move, the robots in front of you will already have moved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kostas nikolo
Greece
Iraklio
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
The leader only laps the purple if it has 2 mp left to lap in a corner.
I think it's just 1 MP for robots. Only humans need 2 MP to lap on corners
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khards wrote:


I'm blue.
The black robot is leader and after being activated has come up behind and finished in the same corner automatically lapping (for a second time) the purple robot.
According to the rules this section now activates.
Who gets to move? Just the recently lapped purple robot or me and the purple robot?

My thoughts were just the purple robot who simply pops in front of the black robot but stops behind me.
You need to read the updated advanced rules because you need to split the leader's section into 2 sections.

The next car to go is the lapped purple robot behind the leader, but he goes nowhere because lapped robots never unlap themselves. After that it's the yellow robot behind the purple.

To correct some other comments, it cost the black car 0 MP to lap the purple. Robots never pay MP to overtake/lap other robots. It's all free for them against each other. They must pay MP to pass people (and only people) though.

You will get to move once the active section gets to you near the end of the turn.

Now a question: how are you going so slow that a black robot is about to pass you? And worse, the yellow behind the black is almost lapping you too?! You must be averaging less than 3 sections per turn!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We always did it this way:
Keep moving cars behind the black leader.
The lapped car will lose it turn, but it’s a robot, so we don’t really care about it.
When you get to the blue car, you just take your turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But a robot must have MP left after entering a section to lap another robot. It sounded like the OP just assumed it gets lapped as soon as the black robot enters the section.

shilinski wrote:
khards wrote:


I'm blue.
The black robot is leader and after being activated has come up behind and finished in the same corner automatically lapping (for a second time) the purple robot.
According to the rules this section now activates.
Who gets to move? Just the recently lapped purple robot or me and the purple robot?

My thoughts were just the purple robot who simply pops in front of the black robot but stops behind me.
You need to read the updated advanced rules because you need to split the leader's section into 2 sections.

The next car to go is the lapped purple robot behind the leader, but he goes nowhere because lapped robots never unlap themselves. After that it's the yellow robot behind the purple.

To correct some other comments, it cost the black car 0 MP to lap the purple. Robots never pay MP to overtake/lap other robots. It's all free for them against each other. They must pay MP to pass people (and only people) though.

You will get to move once the active section gets to you near the end of the turn.

Now a question: how are you going so slow that a black robot is about to pass you? And worse, the yellow behind the black is almost lapping you too?! You must be averaging less than 3 sections per turn!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thank you to everyone for replying. I think I understand it now.
This game is a real brain burner for me but I really want to get it under my belt.

shilinski wrote:

Now a question: how are you going so slow that a black robot is about to pass you? And worse, the yellow behind the black is almost lapping you too?! You must be averaging less than 3 sections per turn!
A couple of things; I chose a really bad set up for playing against all robots, I ran out of damage very quickly and my card choice has been very limited.
This game was to hopefully get to grips with the rules after a long hiatus so I simply picked a car set-up without adjusting it.
Secondly after re reading the rules I noticed that "robot leaders do need to pass a Leader Lapping Check in order to lap another robot" (pg 16 of the 3.0 rules from BGG file section). I hadn't been doing this.

shilinski wrote:

The next car to go is the lapped purple robot behind the leader, but he goes nowhere because lapped robots never unlap themselves.
Ah I see now. I was going by the rule at the top of pg 16 "Robots lap each other without spending any MP". But I think I see now that in the same paragraph it states "Robots lose any remaining MP when they reach a driver with more laps". Which would mean that the purple robot wouldn't go anywhere.

ryan3740 wrote:
But a robot must have MP left after entering a section to lap another robot. It sounded like the OP just assumed it gets lapped as soon as the black robot enters the section.
That's what I've been doing.
I was going by the rule on pg 15 under Overtaking that says "Robots overtake each other without spending any movement points"
But I guess this isn't overtaking it's lapping. So what should the black robot have done once it entered the corner, It had 1 MP left after it entered the corner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
khards wrote:
Big thank you to everyone for replying. I think I understand it now.
This game is a real brain burner for me but I really want to get it under my belt.

shilinski wrote:

Now a question: how are you going so slow that a black robot is about to pass you? And worse, the yellow behind the black is almost lapping you too?! You must be averaging less than 3 sections per turn!
A couple of things; I chose a really bad set up for playing against all robots, I ran out of damage very quickly and my card choice has been very limited.
This game was to hopefully get to grips with the rules after a long hiatus so I simply picked a car set-up without adjusting it.
Secondly after re reading the rules I noticed that "robot leaders do need to pass a Leader Lapping Check in order to lap another robot" (pg 16 of the 3.0 rules from BGG file section). I hadn't been doing this.

shilinski wrote:

The next car to go is the lapped purple robot behind the leader, but he goes nowhere because lapped robots never unlap themselves.
Ah I see now. I was going by the rule at the top of pg 16 "Robots lap each other without spending any MP". But I think I see now that in the same paragraph it states "Robots lose any remaining MP when they reach a driver with more laps". Which would mean that the purple robot wouldn't go anywhere.

ryan3740 wrote:
But a robot must have MP left after entering a section to lap another robot. It sounded like the OP just assumed it gets lapped as soon as the black robot enters the section.
That's what I've been doing.
I was going by the rule on pg 15 under Overtaking that says "Robots overtake each other without spending any movement points"
But I guess this isn't overtaking it's lapping. So what should the black robot have done once it entered the corner, It had 1 MP left after it entered the corner.
The black robot entering the corner section would spend zero movement points and perform a Leader lapping check (blind check against 70) to lap the purple robot if it's for the first time (robots don't auto lap unless they're lapping the car for the second time).
So in your case the black Leader robot would enter the corner section and do a blind check against 70 and if successful pass the purple robot without spending a movement point. If it was lapping the purple robot for the second time it would auto lap it. Depending on how many movement points the black Leader robot has left it could possibly lap the blue player car as well by spending 2 movement points because it's a corner section and perform an additional blind check for Leader Lapping.

Also, according to the rules robots can sometimes unlap itself if it's in a mixed contest with cars on the same lap as well as cars with more laps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:


The black robot entering the corner section would spend zero movement points and perform a Leader lapping check (blind check against 70) to lap the purple robot if it's for the first time (robots don't auto lap unless they're lapping the car for the second time).
So in your case the black Leader robot would enter the corner section and do a blind check against 70 and if successful pass the purple robot without spending a movement point. If it was lapping the purple robot for the second time it would auto lap it. Depending on how many movement points the black Leader robot has left it could possibly lap the blue player car as well by spending 2 movement points because it's a corner section and perform an additional blind check for Leader Lapping.

Also, according to the rules robots can sometimes unlap itself if it's in a mixed contest with cars on the same lap as well as cars with more laps.
Cheers, thanks for the reply, that has cleared that one up. Formula 90 is a great game, it's been my nemesis for a while but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Looking forward to a new edition which I hear is in the works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.... Yes, really looking forward to the new Kickstarter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls