Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Diller
United States
Clyde
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game so much I decided to try something I never, ever do- I played it solo. I'm not interested much in the solo experience- if I can't play with others then I would prefer to play an app or a video game instead. But in this case I decided to give it a shot while I watched a basketball game on TV.

The game sets up pretty much like normal and you play your turn pretty much like normal. The "bot" has a deck of cards that give it a random action each turn. There are more than these 4 random actions, but the most common ones are to: 1) go to town center and remove some of your workers from the board, 2) go to the King's storehouse and rack up some virtue for the bot, 3) place a worker in the guildhall(and possibly move up the cathedral track) and 4) go to the guardhouse to put captured workers in there and gain a marble.

It worked very well. In fact, I suffered a six point loss, although it is possible that I am just not a very skilled player. The bot's turns are quick and easy to resolve and they managed to mess up my plans fairly regularly. I had such a good time I just left it all set up and will be trying again today. I don't know if this is the beginning of a new thing for me with solo gaming, but this definitely opened my eyes up to the possibility of playing more games solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us... One of us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robbins
United States
Browns Mills
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdiller wrote:
But in this case I decided to give it a shot while I watched a basketball game on TV.

The game sets up pretty much like normal and you play your turn pretty much like normal. The "bot" has a deck of cards that give it a random action each turn. There are more than these 4 random actions, but the most common ones are to: 1) go to town center and remove some of your workers from the board, 2) go to the King's storehouse and rack up some virtue for the bot, 3) place a worker in the guardhouse(and possibly move up the cathedral track) and 4) go to the guardhouse to put captured workers in there and gain a marble.

It worked very well. In fact, I suffered a six point loss, although it is possible that I am just not a very skilled player. The bot's turns are quick and easy to resolve and they managed to mess up my plans fairly regularly. I had such a good time I just left it all set up and will be trying again today. I don't know if this is the beginning of a new thing for me with solo gaming, but this definitely opened my eyes up to the possibility of playing more games solo.
honesly this is the main reason why I love solo gaming so much, I think most games do play better multiplayer/with others, however solo can be done while leisurely doing something else and/or you can do it whenever you please and take breaks to do other things if you want, while that is very difficult/annoying to others to do playing with others on a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Great to hear.

I would definitely rather play with others as well; however, I am glad to see the sigma of playing solo starting to dissipate. No different than watching a movie/tv show by yourself, reading a book or playing a video game alone.

Furthermore, there are some awesome solo gaming experiences and amazing resources here on BGG. (1 player guild and the yearly top 100 solo board games). Check them both out you won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
Great to hear.

I would definitely rather play with others as well; however, I am glad to see the sigma of playing solo starting to dissipate. No different than watching a movie/tv show by yourself, reading a book or playing a video game alone.

Furthermore, there are some awesome solo gaming experiences and amazing resources here on BGG. (1 player guild and the yearly top 100 solo board games). Check them both out you won't regret it.
Good points. I have a weekly games group but I still like to do the odd solo play here and there.

I actually wrote a whole blog post a while back about my experiences solo gaming:
Board Game Beacon - Playing with Yourself: The Rise of Solo Board Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game this weekend and played 2 solo sessions. I loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Mobile Armoured Strike Kommand
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only played Architects solo and I've enjoyed each experience. However, I am finding it too easy to win against Helena. I find I can stock-pile resources early enough which gives me the upper-hand. Helena may capture my workers, but that's only if the card comes up (and it doesn't always - so then I capitalize on it). As you become more familiar with Helena's cards, it also becomes easier to strategize (ex. I know that when Helena selects Black Market, she will always choose the left most Market space first. So if there is something I want in the first 2 Market spaces, I know I can wait to grab them). Anyway, I've yet to lose the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls