Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Which short expedition for a second gaming group (of newbies)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Ramsey
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and are are circa 15 scenarios into the main campaign, and we are having a blast. Given the amount of fun we are having, some others have agreed to be introduced to the game. But if they like it, it doesn't seem to make sense to have both groups playing in the same campaign---it is going to be less fun if the global achievements are already achieved and if I know what is coming in the early scenarios.

Fortunately, there are three other options out there:

1. Into the Unknown (the "Kickstarter Campaign")

2. Capital Intrigue

3. The Infinite Beyond (currently ongoing)

I've played the first scenario of The Infinite Beyond, and I've looked at the second, and I think this campaign might not be suitable for brand-new players. Which of the other two campaigns would you recommend for a new group, three of whom have never seen Gloomhaven? And why?

(I should add that this group are moderate gamers, and have played things like T.I.M.E. Stories, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and Crypto. So, I expect them not to be put off by "heavy.")

(Not creating a poll because I'm more interested in thoughts and explanations than in votes.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Into the Unknown, but from what I've heard about it, it connects to my experiences with Capital Intrigue.

I wouldn't really recommend the side campaigns for new players. They tend to use unusual mechanics that are interesting for people familiar with the game but might throw new players off. I think the very fact that they are side campaigns gives Isaac the opportunity to use some of his more out there ideas.

Capital Intrigue in particular may need multiple playthroughs of scenarios due to twists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nrnrnr wrote:
-it is going to be less fun if the global achievements are already achieved and if I know what is coming in the early scenarios.
But the mini-campaigns don't use global achievements at all, there are no personal goals, no chance to improve prosperity or reputation and no chances to unlock new characters or other exciting stuff. For me, they miss out on a lot of the appeal of the main campaign. I'm happy to play them but only because I also get to play the main game too. If they were my introduction to Gloomhaven, I might not be hooked.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
any2cards
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would simply be to run the random dungeon variant with them, until you are certain they like the game.

They can still use battle goals, earn gold and experience, level up, etc. This way, if you don't play often, they won't have to remember a whole story line.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ng
msg tools
mb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
I haven't played Into the Unknown, but from what I've heard about it, it connects to my experiences with Capital Intrigue.

I wouldn't really recommend the side campaigns for new players. They tend to use unusual mechanics that are interesting for people familiar with the game but might throw new players off. I think the very fact that they are side campaigns gives Isaac the opportunity to use some of his more out there ideas.

Capital Intrigue in particular may need multiple playthroughs of scenarios due to twists.
any2cards wrote:
Another option would simply be to run the random dungeon variant with them, until you are certain they like the game.

They can still use battle goals, earn gold and experience, level up, etc. This way, if you don't play often, they won't have to remember a whole story line.
+1 to these recommendations

Mainly because those campaigns were designed for players that already played the game and offered something "extra" in terms of mechanic to differ those scenarios to the main story line, so to speak
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg W
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also just play some of the main campaign with them. Within the campaign (even putting aside side scenarios), not all scenarios directly advance the main plot line. In particular (minor, non-specific campaign spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
scenario 16 starts a set of scenarios that are separate from the “main” storyline.
.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls