Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the newly reprinted SPQR. No history with the game. Was looking for a good into scenario and found one (sort of) on page 28 of the v4 scenario book.

Setup states that the Romans use III Alae Legion, with Flamininus, one Tribune, and two Praefects Equitum.

My question, and it's kind of general I guess, is this:

I have the Legions separated out (with the cavalry) into zip lock snack bags. If the setup (in this case) states III Alae Legion does that mean only the "AS/III counters or ALL of the III Legion counters?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
staticlinerich wrote:
I have the newly reprinted SPQR. No history with the game. Was looking for a good into scenario and found one (sort of) on page 28 of the v4 scenario book.

Setup states that the Romans use III Alae Legion, with Flamininus, one Tribune, and two Praefects Equitum.

My question, and it's kind of general I guess, is this:

I have the Legions separated out (with the cavalry) into zip lock snack bags. If the setup (in this case) states III Alae Legion does that mean only the "AS/III counters or ALL of the III Legion counters?

Thanks in advance.
You are using the entire III Legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark! To clarify also, each set of RC matches up with each Legion? So III RC, AS/IIIa RC, AS/IIIb RC and AS/IIIc RC are all "part" of the III Legion? So can be sorted and stored with the III Legion. This applies to all the Legions I'm assuming since the RC seem to be consistently manned across the board and identical.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks TankBoy. Trundling through the rules and what not. I have not been able to figure out the Unit Type "CE" and "CO" or a reference to that unit type anywhere. What is that and where can I find that in the rule book? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
CO-Cohorts, CE-Centurions. Not sure where to reference in the Rulebook, its been awhileblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. You know I was thinking that might be it but assumed those were post reform terms. Used to play a bunch of 28mm Romans but never early period like this. Strange then that cohorts are and Centurions are listed as LG though. Cohort as a "class"? Well actually, that's probably appropriate. Have to wrap my head around that a little, but don't want to overthink this. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few pictures from other online AAR's show the setup as intended

https://66.media.tumblr.com/bf7d604bb57033cf10f5e4af64b74083...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/590a979bb1f49dd13f613a171d884738...

There used to be an excellent website devoted to GBOH that had MANY battles and setups listed, but it has since been taken down.

When I was learning I actually Removed the Elephants completely from the intro scenario - Once I had the Inf/Cav basics down, then I re-played and added the Elephants (as they have lots of extra fiddly rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. Thanks. Was thinking about starting a GBOH group on FB. Not much outside of YouTube for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are one step ahead of you

https://www.facebook.com/GreatBattlesofHistory/

It's not just GBOH, there's a lot of interesting posts - and some good AAR's + links as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain Glyndŵr
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jjaquemond wrote:
They are one step ahead of you

https://www.facebook.com/GreatBattlesofHistory/

It's not just GBOH, there's a lot of interesting posts - and some good AAR's + links as well
Looks like the page is run by http://bigboardgaming.com/ (hipshot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
Toscana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I have got a different question on the training scenario, the following: what is its line eligibility chart?
Thanks to everyone in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls