2 Posts

Magic: The Gathering – Heroes of Dominaria Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Leyline balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Richard
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just curious if anyone has had any luck with some house rules to balance the game a little more. My group has played this game a few times and while we enjoy it, rushing manaliths seems like the best strategy hands down. Sometimes artifacts can get you there, if you can pull a Mox or the 'extra turn' one but just grabbing all the manaliths as quickly as possible (often starting with black so you can defeat the cabal if they end up in a bad spot) and then using the manalith mana every turn to go for other strategies has won pretty much every game we've played.

My group has noted that the leylines especially seem a bit weak. There's almost no reason to go for them early and instead it's better to do them on the last few turns to grab a few extra quests/points or to finish any leyline quests you have. We were trying to determine if there was a good way to add some power to the leylines so they're actually viable as something other than an afterthought.

The one we considered was allowing you to gather as normal but to also get a single mana from each other connected node in the leyline. Getting all the mana from every node would probably be a bit too powerful (and swingy)but getting a single mana would help out if you're not in an area with piles of mana. It would also let you get multiple colors of mana in a single turn, much like manaliths provide, but mana that's one-time-use making it more balanced considering the mana cost differences.

Lowering the cost of leylines was another possibility but then you'd get several of your leylines for free unless you also changed the mana reward on some of them. Giving more quest rewards (ie draw more quest cards) on some of the empty leyline rewards was also proposed but I don't think that'd help and it might actually hurt when someone gets ahead in some other manner and then rushes leylines at the end.

I'd love to love this game more but with a clear best strategy and not a ton of variation in the game, I feel like my group is already starting to tire of the game after just a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the leylines are just fine. You just need the perfect balance between maxing out leylines, having some mobility and getting artifacts (maybe) for the extra things you might do to help you from the beginning of the game...
Also consider a variant where you do not get any points for extra heroes, leylines and manaliths and you only play with points from missions, fighting the cabal and from the artifacts.

Thus having more of the adventurous aspect rather than the euro game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls