Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Smigielski
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I apologize if this has been covered any place else, I just didn't find it explicitly stated in the rules or forum threads.

Can a player play an opponents card from the events display? I see this as specifically important with violence cards. Those seem to benefit the opposing player most of all.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only play your own cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Smigielski
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks Tom. It was probably dead obvious, but since it wasn't stated explicitly, it filled me with doubt.

Regardless, my first solo play was quite enjoyable. Justice won handily, mostly because I didn't realize that Justice's Support markers count as one point each at the end and Oppression's don't. Do I have that right? Seems like quite a mountain of points for Oppression to overcome. Or perhaps I was it just happened that Justice focussed on that and Oppression didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s correct, Robb.

Typically Oppression gets off to the fast start and will outpace Justice during the course of the game. The game end scoring condition not only gives Justice a much-needed boost, but also reflects the historical momentum of the anti-slavery movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, only Justice scores the end game VP. In the sample game in the playbook, it accounts for 27 VP, but I would say that's on the high end of things. With an experienced Oppression player, Justice is more likely to get 15 - 20 VP for support at the end of the game.

That's still quite a larger number of VP, and so Oppression should definitely be trying to (1) limit Justice's support gains and (2) score as many VPs as possible as quickly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja'd by Steve. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Smigielski
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mb
In my play Justice had 27 or so support points. And only like 4 VP tokens. Of course not fully comprehending the end game VP situation, I didn't play Oppression with enough focus on preventing Justice Support. Focussed too much on just House control. But with Oppression getting the majority of Law VP (at least it feels they have an advantage there), does the game end up being about prevention/acquisition of Justice support? Or summed up Law Points v Justice Support? Interesting game indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agrayspace wrote:
But with Oppression getting the majority of Law VP (at least it feels they have an advantage there), does the game end up being about prevention/acquisition of Justice support? Or summed up Law Points v Justice Support? Interesting game indeed.
Oppression is going to score more points for Laws and Justice for Support, on average, but it is a mistake for Oppression to concentrate on Laws without interfering with Justice or for Justice to concentrate on Support without interfering with the Laws. There's also the matter of buying victory points and forming political parties, both of which score victory points, and can be very important vis-a-vis the pacing of the game. A five or six turn game is more likely to be to Oppression's advantage than a nine or ten turn game, though it depends on how far along Justice is with building their support.

Note that as Oppression you can use Fugitive Slave Act to reduce Justice's support in each region, and Tariffs to reduce their Org Capacity and thus hobble their efforts - these two laws can be very useful weapons in addition as ways to generate VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls