Hide
5 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crossfire symbol on obstacles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T C
msg tools
(I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I tried to look for the answer but didn't find it.)

In Dragonfire, the rulebook is clear about the Dragonfire icon on encounters: the effects only apply when the card is revealed (unless there's also a Continuous icon by the effect). For example, the effects on the Green Slaad encounter only apply when the card is revealed; if you later reach those Dragonfire levels and the Green Slaad is still in play, they would not activate.

How does this work with Shadowrun: Crossfire? For example, the Combat Shaman (Vampire Operative too) has a special ability at Crossfire level 3 or higher. Let's say he's flipped at Crossfire level 2, but later you reach Crossfire level 3 and he's still in play. Does he now gain the special ability, or is he permanently stuck without the ability because he was flipped before Crossfire level 3?

If I hadn't read the Dragonfire rules, my guess would have been that he would gain the new ability if he's still in play when the Crossfire level reaches the threshold. But this would seem to be inconsistent with Dragonfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
The "flipped" works as a "when reveled", when the obstacle is put into play it is triggering instant.

Page 10 in the Prime Runner rules book is covering the different triggering mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my guess would have been that he would gain the new ability if he's still in play when the Crossfire level reaches the threshold.

That is correct!

What's important at any given moment is the current crossfire level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
metonymo wrote:
The "flipped" works as a "when reveled", when the obstacle is put into play it is triggering instant.

Page 10 in the Prime Runner rules book is covering the different triggering mechanics.
I picked the examples of Combat Shaman and Vampire Operative because these are not "Flipped" abilities...the Flipped keyword is not used on these cards.

On page 10, Crossfire abilities are described on a separate bullet from Flipped abilities, so we shouldn't be conflating the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
SevenSpirits wrote:
Quote:
my guess would have been that he would gain the new ability if he's still in play when the Crossfire level reaches the threshold.

That is correct!

What's important at any given moment is the current crossfire level.
Thanks! This seems to be the definitive answer then. Still, it's odd that it seems inconsistent with the Dragonfire rules, which explicitly say it works the opposite way.

Thus, the Dragonfire icon and the Crossfire symbol are actually subtly different.

Frankly, I prefer the way it works in Shadowrun Crossfire, since it's showing the obstacle growing in strength over time. Forcing the player to balance multiple looming threats is one of the beauties of this game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls