United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am the keeper of my groups games
badge
It’sa me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to fill my time in the car listening to gaming podcasts, and spend enough time to consume 2-3 podcasts per week. Trouble is, most of my go-to podcasts are biweekly now which means I find myself running into dead air. As such, I am looking for your favorites as recommendations!

In general, I prefer podcasts which:

- The hosts have strong chemistry and balance each others views to provide well rounded commentary
- Use high quality equipment (I appreciate those getting started, but it’s hard to listen to)
- Generally follow a set format, and primarily cover new games that are hitting street release, will be soon, or previews and thoughts from conventions

My “A” list that I currently listen to whenever they release includes:

1) Dukes of Dice
2) Shut up and Sit Down
3) Blue Peg Pink Peg

My “B” list includes podcasts I generally like, but will only listen to if I’m already through the “A” list:

4) Rolling dice and taking names
5) Ludology
6) Brawling Brothers
7) Radho runs through

Some podcasts I have tried and don’t like:

8) Heavy Cardboard
9) Board games insider
10) On board games
11) The dice tower
12) The secret cabal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is currently "So Very Wrong About Games". They are one of the few boardgame media outlets to actually offer game critique (as opposed to just reviews).

I strongly recommend you give them a try.

Edit: They fit all your criteria, I think. If it helps, the three podcast on your A-list are also all podcasts I listen to and enjoy (in particular BPPP and SU&SD!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, +1.

You could try Ding and Dent also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stagno
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It’sa me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
My favourite is currently "So Very Wrong About Games". They are one of the few boardgame media outlets to actually offer game critique (as opposed to just reviews).

Edit: They fit all your criteria, I think. If it helps, the three podcast on your A-list are also all podcasts I listen to and enjoy (in particular BPPP and SU&SD!).

Awesome thanks - I will check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stagno
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It’sa me!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
Yep, +1.

You could try Ding and Dent also.

Cool thank you, subscribed to give it a shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farrell
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Me will crush you. Crush you to goo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Punchboard Paradise. I think it's got everything you're looking for, particularly the chemistry; the back-and-forth between the three hosts is really what makes the show for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Train Rush ... if you like train games ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-tos are Secret Cabal, and SU&SD podcasts for their what-have-you-played-recently segments and random topics. So I don't know how well these recommendations will align with you're looking for. But I've been playing YouTube videos in the background (they may have podcast equivalents):

The BoardGameGeek Show folks play a lot of different games, especially at conventions. However, audio quality is lacking/varied since they're all calling in remotely.

I just started listening to Man Vs Meeple's Chit Chat and I'm enjoying their quality content and conversations.

Apparently I play a lot of FFG related games like X-Wing and Netrunner, and would listen to a little bit of Team Covenant's The Covenant Cast for all things related to FFG. But if I'm not interested in the game their talking about, I'll skip to the user questions portion of the episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

I found out about these guys from a similar thread. Solid pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lunsford-Davis
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only board game podcast I still listen to as soon as they release is This Game is Broken. It doesn't really discuss "news" or previews, but it reliably makes me laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Frost
United States
Sturgis
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve listened to those you listed. I enjoy these as well.
Garrett’s games and geekiness
Board game barrage
So very wrong about games

Old episodes of Board games to go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls