Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am pleased to announce that I have designed a full-fledged expansion for Terra Mystica called Merchants. It will have Merchants (ships for most factions) generated by a new building called the Shipyard (for most factions). Factions will send their Merchants to opponent's buildings to gain VP and resources. Factions receiving Merchants will be able to charge power as if an opponent built next to the building. This adds a new tactical movement element to the already deep strategy of Terra Mystica while maintaining perfect information.

All 20 factions will receive a board extension to upgrade a Trading Post into the Shipyard with additional Special Actions to move and build ships. There will be new additional favors, round tiles, bonus tiles, town tiles, and power actions. This expansion MIGHT also come with physical versions of the online maps Loon Lakes and Fjords. This expansion is expected to be available at Essen in 2019.

Mass playtesting is also starting now. If you can gather a local group of at least 4p or 5p to playtest several times and give some detailed scores, game reports and photos (not posted publicly), please send me a Geek Mail with your e-mail to send info (will not be shared), Discord username (Please sign up), Steam username (if available and want to play test on Tabletop Simulator), and any usernames for Terra Mystica online versions (Snellman, Steam, iOS, Android, BGA, Yucata, etc). We currently have a Discord group to discuss the playtesting. I am also creating a private Tabletop Simulator workshop version to playtest live online games where I will allow some limited access. My Discord name is JamesWolfpacker#0979 and my Steam username is also JamesWolfpacker

This Sunday Feb 10, I am working on the Tabletop Simulator version. So if you are live you can contact me via Discord to join and help build it.

Edit: I have a working, but hidden, Tabletop Simulator version. Please contact me if you are willing to host games to add you to the hosting list. It will be strictly forbidden to promote random people that are not in the test because a saved game can be duplicated and circulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait this is also an official expansion release? How does it align with that other expansion in development? How are original designers involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Wait this is also an official expansion release? How does it align with that other expansion in development? How are original designers involved?

Yes, this will be an official expansion.

I'm not able to comment on the other expansion in development, but I know some stuff.

The original designers gave approval to create and publish this. This expansion is much like how Scythe's Rise of Fenris and Caverna: The Forgotten Folk was created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

I'm not able to comment on the other expansion in development, but I know some stuff.

The original designers gave approval to create and publish this. This expansion is much like how Scythe's Rise of Fenris and Caverna: The Forgotten Folk was created.

So will this be published by Feuerland Spiele? And match the rest of the game in terms of quality and production? Or is this something you are publishing on KS with permission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

So will this be published by Feuerland Spiele? And match the rest of the game in terms of quality and production? Or is this something you are publishing on KS with permission?

Yes, published directly by Feuerland Spiele and through publisher partners in associated countries (e.g. Z-Man in the US).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, James. Can't wait to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I heard of the project you were working on I was secretly hoping that one day it might go down this route where we get an officially endorsed expansion whose production quality will match the rest of the game. Excellent work James, I am super stoked to play this once it is released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
This expansion MIGHT also come with physical versions of the online maps Loon Lakes and Fjords.

This might be a good moment to bring the thread that initially tested the waters for this idea back into memory. I'd be very happy to see an additional two-sided board included, so if someone reading this didn't already know about the post from two years ago, you can add your voice there to hopefully help make this happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
"it´s easier to see the difference when you´re sitting on the fence"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is absolutely amazing news! it sounds like an awesome expansion. Crossing my fingers that we´ll get to see official physical releases of both Loon Lakes and Fjords!

So I gather from the description that this expansion won´t include additional end game scoring tiles (or just "largest network" as a separate tile)? whistle

Anyway can´t wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
Lass mich!
badge
Geh weg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Super James!! Congrats to you (and all of us in fact).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the congrats!

Agner wrote:
This is absolutely amazing news! it sounds like an awesome expansion. Crossing my fingers that we´ll get to see official physical releases of both Loon Lakes and Fjords!

So I gather from the description that this expansion won´t include additional end game scoring tiles (or just "largest network" as a separate tile)? whistle

Anyway can´t wait!

It will have at least 1 final scoring tile for most trade markers placed and connection will not be required. Riverwalkers will like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have updated the 1st post to include the following:

I have a working, but hidden, Tabletop Simulator version. Please contact me if you are willing to host games to add you to the hosting list. It will be strictly forbidden to promote random people that are not in the test because a saved game can be duplicated and circulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the other expansion has been abandoned, it's unlikely for two widely different expansions to be released like this, especially if they're not compatible with one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I wonder if the other expansion has been abandoned, it's unlikely for two widely different expansions to be released like this, especially if they're not compatible with one another.

It has not been abandoned. I've played the Innovations expansion. The mechanics and other stuff in it can theoretically be played with the original factions and with Merchants. In Scythe's Rise of Fenris, I did the playtesting for the semi-official variant of Multi-Automa and Multi-Human games (or solo with several Automa), and I can see mixing stuff together like this as a semi-official variant. It's something that will probably shake out in the playtesting for both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brandt
msg tools
The whole expansion sounds great, and I would LOVE a 2 player map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I was never keen on that variant, it was ruining the spirit of asymmetric well-known factions, throwing "the baby out with the bath water". I hope this one gets published instead, together with a reprint using map balanced vp printed on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AMAZING news and CONGRATS.

I'll add our voices to the 2 player map/ modular map for 2ps, call. Terra Mystica was our first game love, but we only ever get Gaia Project to the table as 2p actually works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
All 20 factions will receive a board extension to upgrade a Trading Post into the Shipyard with additional Special Actions to move and build ships.
I'm not usually a compulsive expansion buyer, but this is great news! I like the idea of an expansion that is fully compatible with the base game but adds a new layer of strategic complexity and novelty.
I like the sound of the board extensions for the Shipyards. I assume there will be new playing pieces to represent the Ships (upgraded TPs)?

And it might include the new, better-balanced maps? Yay!!!

Thanks for sharing the news JamesWolfpacker and congrats that your proposal was approved by the designers. That's a (well-deserved) honour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you requested to join the playtesting, please check your spam folder for PnP materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rad. Can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick de Maaijer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Might it be possible to add an Automa to this expansion? I feel like I'd rather have an Automa that works with the original factions than with the modular factions in the other upcoming expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sb so
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any news at all? Some newsletter one can sign in to?
It's been 3 months, so ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I discussed adding an Automa but that is something that if it ever happens would have to be separate and possibly need to be made compatible with the Innovations expansion also. It would probably be a separate mini expansion with a few other things that would shake up the game.

Playtesting is pretty much over. It went pretty well. The changes for Fakirs and Dwarves are awesome.

Here’s some big news...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There will be 12 new round scoring tiles to use with this expansion. Some are compatible with the base game, some are not, and they are all fun. They definitely shake up some old strategies.

More big news...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Loon Lakes and Fjords will be included.

Map Balanced VP will be simplified to 5vp increments and be official. Future printings of faction boards will probably print them on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Map Balanced VP will be simplified to 5vp increments and be official. Future printings of faction boards will probably print them on the board.

If only they'd let us buy some new boards with new graphics!

(or at the very least some stickers!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alani Mani
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

If only they'd let us buy some new boards with new graphics!

(or at the very least some stickers!)

As long as there is an overview in the rules I'm completely happy with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |