Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Platoon Commander Deluxe: The Battle of Kursk» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fast Action, Fast Playing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Motley
msg tools
mb
Sloooooooowwwwww Delivery. Not GMT P500 slow, but I'm not sure I'll ever see Army Group Center, North, or South. I love this hobby and know this is a niche business, so I cut everyone a LOT of slack. Just some venting.

I'll gladly keep on ordering, as the games I have gotten from every company these days is a great value!!

To wit: PCD. This is a manly presentation of a game. Manly box, counters, cards, dice, boards, etc. I got the Kickstarter and threw in Armageddon War and Old School Tactical 2 for grins. All of this heft nearly required a forklift to get in here. It was a long time coming, but what an entrance! The Kickstarter included an expansion Tracks in the Mud (in its own box with manliness included), extra cards, dice, mouse pad, strategy guide, and a bottle of Jameson's. Maybe that was already on the table.

The rules. Are there any? Barely. Any experienced gamer will whip thru them in about 15 minutes and be thinking, "Am I really ready to go". You are. You will go back to the rule book now and again to brush up on artillery or mines, but that will take a minute or two, and you're back at it. A small rule set means quick answers and quick finding them. I will say that not every possible LOS question or other subtlety is covered, but easy to use a little common sense to get around that.

There in lies the strength (or weakness) in this game. I like to crunch around with chrome and look at nuances at times. If you are a stickler for that then this is not your bag, man. This game is all about giddyup! That being said, there is enough "wargame stuff" and what seems realistic play here. I say seems because I was never in combat so I only have a perception of how things really are.

The designers let you know this is the case and give brief, but good explanations.

I played scenarios 2,3, and 4. I started off not being too impressed, but by the end of scenario 4 I was starting to get a picture of how the game plays and what the overall experience is. I played solo. I think this is a game that definitely would be better with 2 players. The random event cards and impulse system lend themselves to this.

That being said, I have come to like this game. I started off thinking it was about a 5, and I'm up to about a 7 now. The overall experience of the high quality dice, cards, mounted boards, excellent Flying Pig counters, and ease of play is winning me over. I'm not going to go into the rules too much. Others usually cover those
aspects of games.

A few observations:

Easy on the eyes-Good components, easy to read and understand

Scenarios are adequate, but not presented in the best way. Fun though!

Nice touch of humor in the rules and cards.

A happy game-nice colors, and overall presentation.

Beware-Assault, artillery and aircraft can wreck your day here! Much stronger than most games I've played. Maybe more realistic. Hard to say without actually being there.

I like the taking turns on the fire impulse, but one side moves ALL their units first before the other side in the movement impulse. Great visual of the way movement and opportunity fire would look in a real battle. Then assault right after movement. You can make some hay here if you have the guts. Because you can move right up to a unit and assault (if you survive OF), right after your movement impulse ends.

This is a game that may take some others like me, some time to get used to. For others, it will never ring the bell. This would now be the first game I would try and get a newbie on board with.

I think this is a great effort. Nice job Flying Pigs-High Flying Dice!
14 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
msg tools
mb
I too was impressed with the games presentation. Absolutely beautiful, thick one inch counters with great counter art. The maps are good also, especially if you like the old Panzerblitz maps. That aside however, I found the combat tables waaay too bloody for a platoon sized game. It's all too simplistic really, I was hoping for a better game, but I can't see playing this versus my wargaming friends in any serious manner. Maybe good to introduce someone to wargaming, but there's no excitement there unfortunately!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hari Seldon
msg tools
mb
I can understand where you are coming from. I guess it depends on your tolerance for abstraction in a game. To me, detailed rules and chrome do not equate to realism or depth of play. This game hits my sweet spot. I enjoy the rules which are simple mechanically but model combat well in an abstract manner.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kemosavage976 wrote:
I too was impressed with the games presentation. Absolutely beautiful, thick one inch counters with great counter art. The maps are good also, especially if you like the old Panzerblitz maps. That aside however, I found the combat tables waaay too bloody for a platoon sized game. It's all too simplistic really, I was hoping for a better game, but I can't see playing this versus my wargaming friends in any serious manner. Maybe good to introduce someone to wargaming, but there's no excitement there unfortunately!
Richard, I think you are doing combat wrong. No way is this combat way too bloody. I've played just about every platoon-level game ever published and designed a few of them... loses in Platoon Commander are right in line with Panzer Leader, Panzerblitz, White Star Rising, etc Do you realize that if the result says 4 hits, the opposing player rolls 4 D10? Each result equal to or lower than that side's moral 40% chance for Soviets, 60% chance for Germans, negates a hit.

Here's a youtube video describing it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Mow
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mark:
Bravo on another success. We (Local neighbors gaming club) love this game for its balance of simplicity yet historical flavor. Quality production, beautiful to look at, simplified short rules, large hexes/counters makes this game flow well and enjoyable. Your comment on experimenting with selecting a particular unit in a same tank or leg unit stack vs distributing the hits "Not braking the game" gave us an idea of trying it out and we like having the option. There are already many games out there for the serious simulation who don't mind spending quality time delving into a history project so thank you for a simple, fast paced, playable game for those of us who sometimes just want to relax and play something short, fun yet still thematic enough to enjoy the historical aspect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls