Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all know the feeling - you want to spice up your prototype with some proper bespoke game pieces, but you can't quite find what you are looking for! And those paper cut-outs and 10mm wooden coloured cubes no longer cut it...

For me, having physical thematic pieces on the board helps my mind with the design & development process. It also helps pull people into the game when playtesting.

Just wondering what other people do to get hands on unique prototyping pieces? 3D Printing? Contacting Manufacturers? Raiding Game Boxes?

PS: I once went so far as to import 24 wooden pink pigs from Germany from the manufacturer of Carcassonne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crafting stores
Garage/yard/boot sales
2nd hand stores
Hardware stores
Buying used games

I’ve done all those for the games I’m designing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been collecting junk games from second hand sources for thirty years. Those parts go pretty far. But for the unique, I use Sculpey. One of these days I intend to build a 3d printer, but that's low on the todo list. For unique 2d stuff, I have a plotter that cuts card stock and vinyl based on line art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Etsy is where I go for game bling as often as not.

Also Top Shelf Gamer carries the Stonemaier realistic tokens in sets of 10 and they cover a LOT of applications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Etsy is where I go for game bling as often as not.

Also Top Shelf Gamer carries the Stonemaier realistic tokens in sets of 10 and they cover a LOT of applications.
Speaking of Stonemaier, my Charterstone components are getting a lot of reuse in prototypes as we've no interest in the post-campaign game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Beyond what's already been mentioned, AliExpress and eBay. Particularly if you need a bucketful of dice on the cheap, or tiny-size anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too need to have "prettier" prototypes to keep me motivated during the process.

In addition to the other options (cubes, buying old games, craft/dollar stores, etc.), I keep any round token board cutouts, and look for bits on ebay (I have a complete token set from a Descent copy someone parted out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael colbert
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
as Corsaire stated, Sculpey for the truly unique. I use DAS and it does dry fairly hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
Do they ship international (i.e. UK)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom 77
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lego could be an option.

You can get individual pieces from sites like Brick Owl.

Ali Express has a wide range of "Lego Compatible" figures, shipping takes a long time though (about a month usually). I got a bunch of blank Lego figures in a range of colours which I think will come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand CAVALIE
France
flag msg tools
Tom_77 wrote:
Lego could be an option.

You can get individual pieces from sites like Brick Owl.

Ali Express has a wide range of "Lego Compatible" figures, shipping takes a long time though (about a month usually). I got a bunch of blank Lego figures in a range of colours which I think will come in handy.
That !
On my recent trip abroad in asia, I found some second hand lego stores with looooot of figures. But some of them are really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls