Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a partnership game with three teams, if you are the first player and play a merchant ship is it true that your partner can then follow up by playing a second merchant ship on the table?

If so then when your turn comes up again and no one has attacked either of these two ships then you get to pick up BOTH merchant ships, yes?

However, if one of them is attacked you must decide to either let it go or at a minimum defend your ship with at a least an equal force to prevent your opponent from picking it up when their turn begins, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Kaplan
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the first player on the team may pick up ships; the 2nd player may not. So, it will take multiple turns to grab them.

Edit: Yes, a team can pick up multiple merchant ships that are not under attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Laursen
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex: Yes, that would be my interpretation of the Gamewright rules. You should be able to pick up multiple ships in front of the two of you if no opposing team has played pirate cards to them that round.

If allowing this led to an undesirable experience, it seems like you'd need to add a rule like, "only one team member may play a merchant ship each round."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Kaplan
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ... it says in my Gamewright rule book, under Partnership play:
Play your turns in normal seat order and follow the standard rules for what to do in a turn. However, only the first player on each team checks for conquered merchant ships at the start of his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Laursen
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce: Yep, I have the same rule. I interpret it as meaning that both empty merchant ships will be considered conquered at the start of the first teammate's turn (since opponents have all had a chance to play on them), so both can be picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Kaplan
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I don't know what I was thinking. Upon reviewing the rules again, I believe that you are correct. I was conflating some of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls