Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Teotihuacan or AotWK help.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger
United States
Picayune
MS
flag msg tools
mb
I've been debating for awhile now on which one of these games I should pick up next.

Architects of the West Kingdom looks like an amazing light/medium worker placement with a twist. The group I play with usually likes light/medium games. I also really in enjoy worker placement games.

Teotihuacan: City of Gods looks like another amazing game. From all the reviews I've read and watched, this game has a lot of replay value. Even though the board looks busy, its really simple to pick up and also light/medium game.

I think my group would enjoy both of these games, but I can only chose one. I would love some input on why or why I shouldn't pick up one of these games. Any tips would be a huge help with my decision. Thanks You!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stagno
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am the keeper of my groups games
badge
It’sa me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pcrew wrote:
I've been debating for awhile now on which one of these games I should pick up next.

Architects of the West Kingdom looks like an amazing light/medium worker placement with a twist. The group I play with usually likes light/medium games. I also really in enjoy worker placement games.

Teotihuacan: City of Gods looks like another amazing game. From all the reviews I've read and watched, this game has a lot of replay value. Even though the board looks busy, its really simple to pick up and also light/medium game.

I think my group would enjoy both of these games, but I can only chose one. I would love some input on why or why I shouldn't pick up one of these games. Any tips would be a huge help with my decision. Thanks You!
I think it depends on you and your group. Teotihuacan is my vote for the better of the two games, but my preferences tend to skew toward heavier games with more complex decision trees. It has a lot of Tzolk’in in its roots, so if you already own and like that, there is some argument to go with Architects instead.

Architects will definitely appeal to a wider audience, so if you play with a lot of different folks it is much easier to teach and get to the table whereas Teotihuacan is a tough teach and can take some time.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both in my Top 30 games.

While I prefer Architects for its simplicity and the elegance of the worker placement functions (more workers at a spot gets you more powerful actions which then puts them at the mercy of opponents to sabotage), Teotihuacan offers far greater replay value with all the different ways the boards can be set up.

For a Great Western Trail fan like you, Teotihuacan too, offers similarly a variety of strategies that you can employ to earn juicy victory points with a similar game play time and learning curve.

So in short, I'd buy Teotihuacan but play Architects at my friendly neighbourhood board games shop.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Architects can go to 5p pretty effectively, while Teo (I believe) is limited to 4p. Some of the people I’ve played with preferred Teo and consider Architects that much lighter as to leave it out of their acquisition list.

For me, the Teo theme leaves me placing it with T’zolkin, Mexica, even though mechanics vary. Neither of those games grabbed me, and I’m not strongly attracted to games that are economic in nature, but I might like Teo ... given the chance to join a game. I've seen people play it. I don’t know, maybe the art puts me off.

Have you played both?

Is the willingness of your group to play a deal-breaker?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Picayune
MS
flag msg tools
mb
sohszehan wrote:
They are both in my Top 30 games.


For a Great Western Trail fan like you, Teotihuacan too, offers similarly a variety of strategies that you can employ to earn juicy victory points with a similar game play time and learning curve.

cool Thank you for the input. Especially since you looked at the games I own and rated taking that into account. I was actually leaning toward teotihuacan. Glad to hear this the recommendation.

Cstags10 wrote:


I think it depends on you and your group. Teotihuacan is my vote for the better of the two games, but my preferences tend to skew toward heavier games with more complex decision trees. It has a lot of Tzolk’in in its roots, so if you already own and like that, there is some argument to go with Architects instead.

Architects will definitely appeal to a wider audience, so if you play with a lot of different folks it is much easier to teach and get to the table whereas Teotihuacan is a tough teach and can take some time.


Thanks you alot. I generally play with the same group and they play with whatever I bring out . I just try to cater to their needs as much as possible. Guess im going with Teotihuacan.

SpaceAlien wrote:
Architects can go to 5p pretty effectively, while Teo (I believe) is limited to 4p. Some of the people I’ve played with preferred Teo and consider Architects that much lighter as to leave it out of their acquisition list.

For me, the Teo theme leaves me placing it with T’zolkin, Mexica, even though mechanics very. Neither of those games grabbed me, and I’m not strongly attracted to games that are economic in nature, but I might like Teo ... given the chance to join a game.

Have you played both?

Is the willingness of your group to play a deal-breaker?
I haven't played either. Although I only play with 4 players.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Nicholson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Tzolkin expansion adds so much replayability.

What do you think about great western trail vs teotihuacan? Im looking for a rondel game. Struggling to add one to my collection. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neiln99 wrote:
What do you think about great western trail vs teotihuacan? Im looking for a rondel game. Struggling to add one to my collection. Thanks
Imho, GWT is overrated. I generally don't mind point-salad games, but GWT overdoes it. You get points for absolutely everything. As long as you either invest in cows or the railway, it doesn't seem to matter what else you're doing.

Teotihuacan appears much more interesting to me. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to play it yet, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teotihuacan: City of Gods is a solid game, easy to teach and it plays really fast and smooth with very short turns. a 4 player game plays in 2h easily with new players. It’s a good challenge.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls