Greg O
United States
Chesterfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game complete? Are the mechanics developed enough that it can be fixed and or improved without having to buy a new edition of the same stuff upgraded to what it could have been from the start of it wasn’t rushed.

I’m the type of person that goes all in and purchases everything for the game. I am SW fan and was not happy to see the new edition with the choices of buy it again or buy overpriced conversion kits for everything that I already bought.

I love BSG (especially the new series) and really looking forward to this game. I guess this was more of me venting because I’m sure I will end up picking up everything that they release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been out for two months...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is done by Ares so I doubt that there will be any significant changes or a second edition; there are pretty good as it. The only thing that needs to come out is a few more ships the larger base star and Battle Star and then scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your waiting for a 2nd edition it's going to be a wait similar to the gap between 1st and 2nd edition X-wing. That was something like 6 years.

Ares's plans are to release more ships, I'm not sure there is much more fine tuning they could do that would justify a 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wings of Glory has been out for 15 years with no major rule changes. That's Ares' approach. This base set is fully sufficient for four players, so I think you're good to go.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Wings of Glory has been out for 15 years with no major rule changes. That's Ares' approach. This base set is fully sufficient for four players, so I think your good to go.
Thanks so much Sagrilarus. Yes, we are trying to avoid any waste to customers: nothing has to be thrown away and replaced with time. In 15 years, Wings of War became Wings of Glory. We had several optional/advanced rules added and a few minor changes in them. But all game materials are still 100% compatible with the game. Anything you bought is still valid. If you take the cards from Wings of War: Famous Aces, the very first set that came in March 2004, you can still use it in the actual game. True also for Sails of Glory, its brother game on Napoleonic naval battles, that has the same age of X-Wing. Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles is born with the same spirit.

For some companies, making game materials obsolete is part of a marketing process. In Warhammer, the game system has been changed with every edition and changes to the Known World erased whole populations from the setting making armies obsolete and forcing people to buy new ones; to the 25 mm height of figures a couple of mm were added every now and then so to make older ones less impressive and attractive. In Magic - The Gathering, more powerful cards have been released with time making older ones obsolete, and some of the latter have been banned in tourmanents. Hasbro released new Subbuteo teams that performed better, more than once, to make previous ones obsolete and push the sale of new ones...
All this to force players to buy new stuff and to make second hand gaming materials worthless.

I am a long time player, my publishers are too. Out of respect for fellow players, we always tried to avoid planned obsolescence. Mistakes can be made, and a few things have been corrected in maneuvre decks or game statistics for a very few of the older Wings of War planes. But even if you play with the few "wrong" ones, the game still works perfectly. Maybe these older planes are just a bit less historical, but they work fine anyway still today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg O
United States
Chesterfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses. Didn’t know that was already out. I did not see it in stock from my online source and local store. I’ve been behind a bit in my gaming due to work and other unexpected events. Now I will search for it.

Anyway, that’s what I was hoping for and expecting from Ares. Big fan of Wings of Glory. My post was me venting before looking into the game and thinking about the history of the company.

First, I have to say that I’m all for expansion, updates, and series of new games with the same theme. But, it is becoming more common than ever for a lot of companies re-releasing the same game with just enough change to make what you have obsolete, releasing unfinished and or incomplete games in order to sell you the rest in an expansion, low production of the game in order to drive up demand and the value, and many other money grabbing tactics. It’s happened in the video game market with the pay to play walls built in, map packs of previous maps with a new skin, short story with add on episodes to buy. Etc. another story. In my opinion, I see the boardgame market heading down the same path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designers and publishers can resist the dark dide of the Force, if they really want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
butchman70 wrote:
Thank you for the responses. Didn’t know that was already out. I did not see it in stock from my online source and local store. I’ve been behind a bit in my gaming due to work and other unexpected events. Now I will search for it.

Anyway, that’s what I was hoping for and expecting from Ares. Big fan of Wings of Glory. My post was me venting before looking into the game and thinking about the history of the company.

First, I have to say that I’m all for expansion, updates, and series of new games with the same theme. But, it is becoming more common than ever for a lot of companies re-releasing the same game with just enough change to make what you have obsolete, releasing unfinished and or incomplete games in order to sell you the rest in an expansion, low production of the game in order to drive up demand and the value, and many other money grabbing tactics. It’s happened in the video game market with the pay to play walls built in, map packs of previous maps with a new skin, short story with add on episodes to buy. Etc. another story. In my opinion, I see the boardgame market heading down the same path.
This may be true of some, but I haven't see that from Ares. They have a solid rule set for their current games. Then Wings of War switched to Wings of Glory there was only minor changes in a couple of rules (altitude base level for example) but nothing was obsolete. In fact many still have Wings of War planes flying with Wings of Glory and few if any would know the difference.

Battlestar Galactica while having differing rules is bases on the solid background of Wings of War, Glory (WWI and WWII) plus Sails of Glory. While some companies do as you describe Ares have not show any indication of going down the route. I would add that some companies, while keeping the rules, introduce power creep which effectively obsoletes certain units. Ares has so far avoided that temptation too.

Finally I will add that companies like you describe and other issues like whoever made the last purchase having units better than everyone else, etc. is what brought be to Wings of Glory and now Battlestar Galactica. I wanted a complete rule set where I could buy the units I want and play the game without those concerns. To be sure Ares is not perfect, none are. But they have solid rule set with good theme and a fun game.

Just my two cents.
If someone gives you a penny for your thoughts and you give them your two cents, who gets the change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls