Subject: The Office returns to raid the temple again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
One year of Daily Dad Jokes ends this month!
badge
Three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar You can't tell me that's just a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report is part of a continuing series where I describe the games being played as part of our Game Lunch Fridays during the lunch break of a business office. Our lunch break is only thirty minutes, so our game choices are limited to games that can be taught and played in a short time.

For our Game Lunch Friday this week, we brought in Incan Gold. It’s been a long while since we played this game and I knew our schedule would be tight today. Three of my regular game playing co-workers (Pat, Bill, and Corietha) played this game last time, but the game would be new to Jason.

I remembered some of the mistakes the last time I played the game at the office, so I made sure to brush up on the rules again (it helped that I played recently with my family).

My gaming group is becoming more game comfortable. They helped me pull the pieces out and sort the tents, cards, and gems.

I covered the rules quickly but did not omit anything. Jason was new to the game, but he was a gaming enthusiast, so he picked up the rules quickly. I did make sure to stress to Jason the difference between the exit card and enter card since it was something we often made mistakes on.

Round One:
Corietha pulled out of the temple after only a handful of gems and we all thought she pulled out too soon. But she had the last laugh when we all pressed on and fell victim to a second hazard. As I policed up the cards and started preparing the second round, I realized I had not taken the same type of notes as I did in my previous session report.

Round Two:
With two relics in the temple still, we were all surprised to see the first relic show up almost right away. With so few gems in anyone’s collection, we were equally surprised to see Jason depart the temple alone and take the relic with him as he went. The rest of us pressed on and started growing our gem collection. Pat eventually departs, taking with him a healthy amount of gems but does not pick up much on the way out as most the gems were evenly distributed so far. Pat played it well, because we all hit the second hazard again and lost all our gems. Bill and I were still without any treasure. At least Corietha still had some from her first trip.

Round Three:
Unfortunately for Corietha, she accidentally played her departure card on the second draw and left the temple emptyhanded. The rest of us pressed on and grew our treasure collection. The second relic appeared, and Jason left alone the very next turn, taking the relic with him AGAIN! Down to three adventurers, we continued collecting large amounts of gems. The third relic appeared, and I was surprised that everyone stayed in. Another turn later, and Bill makes a run for it alone, taking the relic with him. Pat and I try to make the most of our adventure, collecting as many gems as we can since the relics were gone. But our luck runs out and we fall victim to a hazard, leaving me without any gems once again.

Round Four:
The fourth round was disappointing because the high count gem cards seem to have suddenly disappeared. Hitting four different hazards right off the bat wasn’t very comforting either. Bill, Pat, and Jason depart the round early, adding gems to their coffers of treasure. Corietha and I engage in a game of chicken to see who can stay in the temple the longest. The rest watch our gem pile grow huge and I am surprised that Corietha keeps staying in. But our foolishness eventually gets the best of us and we fall victim to a hazard. I was surprised to see us fall to the goblin again – I had originally thought there were only two copies of each hazard (there are actually three) and I have never seen the same hazard occur twice in a game

Round Five:
Jason was dominating the game so far – beginners luck. And I had nothing to show for it so far. Corietha was not doing much better. With two very valuable relics in the temple, I had to go for broke. Corietha had the same thoughts. The hazards and gems were coming out at an equal pace, which was not good: not enough gems and too many hazards. Pat and Jason, comfortable with their lead, decide to leave the temple before they lose everything. Bill, Corietha and I happily discover the fourth relic next. I was stunned to see that no one left afterwards. Another gem card, then another hazard later, then both Bill and Corietha leave at the same time, forcing them to leave the relic but divide up the few gems on the way out. I press on anyway. The gem count this round was horrible. I would need both relics to win. Then, a 17 gem count card, all to myself. I keep going and, Bam!, the second relic appears and I am the only one still in the temple. I depart the next turn, taking both relics with me. Everyone groaned at my sudden luck. I laughed. Perhaps, I cackled.

Final Score:
Me: 54 gems
Jason: 37 gems
Pat: 32 gems
Bill: 23 gems
Corietha: 11 gems

Everyone had a much better game than last time. It took only 20 minutes to play. We considered squeezing in another game because it played so quickly and we really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we just did not have the time on this busy day. Jason liked it so much that he ordered the game right after lunch. I’ll have to bring this back again sooner next time.

For my other session reports on our Game Lunch Fridays at the Office, see my Game Lunch Fridays at the Office GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up thanks!

I assume you are removing a hazard card from the deck each time the round ends in a pair of hazards?

Also, a house rule I saw recently to make the game less swingy, is to remove one of each hazard from the deck at the start of the game, and then add one back in at the start of each round, like the relics. This helps avoid dud excursions into the temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
One year of Daily Dad Jokes ends this month!
badge
Three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar You can't tell me that's just a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

I assume you are removing a hazard card from the deck each time the round ends in a pair of hazards?

Correct.

I haven't heard of that house rule before, but I think the swinginess is part of the calculations of pressing your luck. I actually do not mind an earlier hazard failure in a round because then the next round has an extra relic and that changes the calculus.

Jason asked during the game how many hazards there were and how many of each card there was. I assumed there was two, but Bill double-checked the rules and corrected me, letting everyone know there was three cards of each hazard. at first, it seemed like unnecessary seeking of information (I was completely playing by luck up till then) but then I realized that everyone was doing math and keeping track of the cards. They were not pressing their luck, they were managing their risk.

I won by pure luck, but something tells me that they will clobber me next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls