Kohta Ebihara
Japan
Musashino-shi
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering if I could use the ISRU values listed on a colonist card, just like ones on a robonaut and tele-operate with a different colonist elsewhere.

Is this doable? Or do I have to use the operation of the colonist that has the ISRU listed on it?
It kind of feels awkward to be able to tele-operate abilites of human colonists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure that's doable. (To be more precise, the card with the ISRU ability has to be collocated with the site it is being utilized on, but the operator can be anywhere.) Think of an ISRU ability on a colonist as a robonaut which can be programmed from anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohta Ebihara
Japan
Musashino-shi
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright. Thanks.

I'll try to think of it as tele-operating some special gear that a certain colonist carries around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebigunso wrote:
I'll try to think of it as tele-operating some special gear that a certain colonist carries around.
I wouldn't think of it like that, because: (a) 1 colonist mass point represents about 15 actual people (+ all the life support and other hardware), so the "special gear" is more like an advanced robot with an AI; and (b) light travel delay prohibit real-time teleoperation between almost all pairs of locations on the HF map.

These two points essentially mean that teleoperation = giving high-level instructions to an in-situ rover or a robot, which has an AI to automate a lot of primitive tasks. Similar to how NASA operates Mars rovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reply points out that the living rules permit remote operation only of an ISRU printed on a robonaut: Re: Using Colonist's ISRU ability - Can it be used multiple times in a Turn?, thus excluding remote operation of a colonist’s ISRU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
ebigunso wrote:
I wouldn't think of it like that, because: (a) 1 colonist mass point represents about 15 actual people (+ all the life support and other hardware), so the "special gear" is more like an advanced robot with an AI; and (b) light travel delay prohibit real-time teleoperation between almost all pairs of locations on the HF map.

These two points essentially mean that teleoperation = giving high-level instructions to an in-situ rover or a robot, which has an AI to automate a lot of primitive tasks. Similar to how NASA operates Mars rovers.
Shouldn't you be able to at least send communications from any one location in the solar system to another over the course of 1 year? I don't think it is necessary to think of teleoperating a robonaut as something happening in real time. Each turn lasts 1 year.

I guess we are actually arguing the same point though. It is possible to send instructions to remote ISRU equipment and it would then follow those instructions, w/o real-time guidance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
This reply points out that the living rules permit remote operation only of an ISRU printed on a robonaut: Re: Using Colonist's ISRU ability - Can it be used multiple times in a Turn?, thus excluding remote operation of a colonist’s ISRU.
Woah, that's an unnecessarily fiddly change to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls