Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Why two different styles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When several years ago (2015 I think, if I'm not mistaken?) the style of the site changed when browsing individual game pages. That was weird, but I thought that it's just a first part of the whole site redesign. Well, the next part never came, so we have one style on one half of the site and completely different style on the other. Does any one know what happened? Ran out of money? Or just felt that the "Frankenstein" style is "good enough"? Feel free to point me to a recent prior discussion of this if there was one, I searched but found nothing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes time to redesign everything, because the database is/was tightly knit to the implementation.

First it was game pages (twice - the first attempt was scratched if I have understood correctly), recently the file and image pages, and the next step is .... hopefully the forums do not get messed up.

Edit: And there was a switch to "cloud" recently as well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
zespri wrote:
When several years ago (2015 I think, if I'm not mistaken?) the style of the site changed when browsing individual game pages. That was weird, but I thought that it's just a first part of the whole site redesign. Well, the next part never came, so we have one style on one half of the site and completely different style on the other. Does any one know what happened?
The next part is still happening. The initial feedback on the game page redesign was that it was too slow, and the purported solution was to upgrade from the Angular 1 JavaScript library to the Angular 2+ JavaScript library. So things were stalled massively while that happened, and then last year we got the redesign rolled out to the image pages based on that new version of the library, with the expectation that this new version would be the basis for rolling out to all other pages in relatively short order. For my money, the new version is still needlessly slow/heavy (loading one image page is okay, but if you open ten at once, it's just sucking up massive CPU resources, and thus way slower than it was in the old setup), and the swift roll out hasn't been happening either, as far as I've seen, so maybe they're spending more time on optimizing things?

If you compare the header bar between the game page and an image page, you can see the countless subtle differences between the two, as an indication of the vastly different technology stack underlying them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
zespri wrote:
When several years ago (2015 I think, if I'm not mistaken?) the style of the site changed when browsing individual game pages. That was weird, but I thought that it's just a first part of the whole site redesign. Well, the next part never came, so we have one style on one half of the site and completely different style on the other. Does any one know what happened?
The next part is still happening. The initial feedback on the game page redesign was that it was too slow, and the purported solution was to upgrade from the Angular 1 JavaScript library to the Angular 2+ JavaScript library. So things were stalled massively while that happened, and then last year we got the redesign rolled out to the image pages based on that new version of the library, with the expectation that this new version would be the basis for rolling out to all other pages in relatively short order. For my money, the new version is still needlessly slow/heavy (loading one image page is okay, but if you open ten at once, it's just sucking up massive CPU resources, and thus way slower than it was in the old setup), and the swift roll out hasn't been happening either, as far as I've seen, so maybe they're spending more time on optimizing things?

If you compare the header bar between the game page and an image page, you can see the countless subtle differences between the two, as an indication of the vastly different technology stack underlying them.
The new programming language/environment has not resolved the speed issues. I’m hoping they identify another solution before rolling the latest iteration out sitewide. It would be a real shame if the entire site was hit with these speed problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a constant tug-of-war between the overhead of frameworks/libraries/abstractions, clean/maintainable code, and performance. The more your system does for you, the bigger and slower it is. The more you hard-code stuff for performance, the harder it is to change. It's nearly impossible to make good choices in the early days of a beast like BGG because you don't know where it's going. We're (developers) also in the throes of dubious overwrought fad client-side frameworks and "improved" UI standards that shuffle the problems around like some giant game of 3 card monte.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
There is a constant tug-of-war between the overhead of frameworks/libraries/abstractions, clean/maintainable code, and performance. The more your system does for you, the bigger and slower it is. The more you hard-code stuff for performance, the harder it is to change. It's nearly impossible to make good choices in the early days of a beast like BGG because you don't know where it's going. We're (developers) also in the throes of dubious overwrought fad client-side frameworks and "improved" UI standards that shuffle the problems around like some giant game of 3 card monte.
Also short cycle of new standards and new tools.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
ekted wrote:
There is a constant tug-of-war between the overhead of frameworks/libraries/abstractions, clean/maintainable code, and performance. The more your system does for you, the bigger and slower it is. The more you hard-code stuff for performance, the harder it is to change. It's nearly impossible to make good choices in the early days of a beast like BGG because you don't know where it's going. We're (developers) also in the throes of dubious overwrought fad client-side frameworks and "improved" UI standards that shuffle the problems around like some giant game of 3 card monte.
Also short cycle of new standards and new tools.
Cult of the New doesn't just apply to games...

gulp
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls