Hide
3 Posts

Stockpile» Forums » General

Subject: Simultaneous selling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Smith
msg tools
Does anyone play with a simultaneous selling variant where everyone can sell any amount of stock at any time until everyone is done selling? Rather than going around in turn order?

It makes gameplay slightly quicker and increases the potential for bluffing. For instance, if I'm currently the third player in a four player game, with the normal rules only the fourth player can make a decision based on what I sold, however if any player is free to act on my selling, I might sell a single stock in a company I know is going to split or pay a triple dividend, so all the other holders sell out (especially if there's a stock in risk of going bust that round) and then during the movement phase I'll be the only one to reap the benefit (with my remaining shares).

This potential is much reduced if acting on selling information is player order dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that a big part of the game IS the bluffing and mind games. Because of the incomplete information you have, it's a very real thing to dupe or fake-out the other players when you're first in the turn order by selling a stock or two to try and get others to sell. If your group isn't really into that and/or already get enough of the mind games in the auction, then simultaneous selling could definitely work in your favor. However, it removes a little bit of the interaction and importance of the incomplete information mechanic of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
msg tools
Yeah, but with simultaneous selling you can fake out the other players even if you’re fourth in turn order, rather than just first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls