Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Playing with 2 people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Y
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I cant seem to find a clear answer.

What happens if I try and play this with just 2 people that have a lot of time and are used to playing area control games like star wars rebellion and War of the ring?

how similar is this to Starcraft Board game where you have terrans, zerg and protos factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with three once and will probably do that again, but some parts of the game don't work well with less than 6 (wanted to say 4, but that doesn't work either with certain races), like the political phase. Expansion is less tight as well, so it's more a relaxed civilization game than warfare and negotiation really. Only time you will be in a fight is when you need it for a secret objective. Not sure if you can make the universe small enough for two players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried 2 player game once. If one player starts getting ahead, he will be able to completely steamroll the other player. Especially good race for this would be Clan of Saar. You just have to reach the other players home system and by the time you reach it, you have a much bigger army (due to gaining trade goods by taking planets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
TI is a game of negotiations. You can't really negotiate with only one foe. The game's official player minimum is 3, and with good reason. I've tried 2 player variants before, and it robs the game of its best moments. I recommend sticking with Rebellion for 2 players, and only bust TI out with 4+ players (ideally 6; 5 in a pinch, 4 if desperate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Y
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the explanations guys. Such a shame though still. I see the big box and think 😩😩😩😩

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think for 2p WOTR or SW:R are the better games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your second question, Starcraft:TBG is a very different game. I love both, but the weight of the box is about the only similarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls