Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Campbell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game Saturday, and played the first time yesterday with just my wife and me. It was pretty easy for both of us to keep security ahead of threat the entire game. Nobody got eaten at all...

...which makes me wonder if we were doing someting wrong?

Is it 'normal' for games to go without ever having a "Jurassic Park" sort of incident?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a much more effective strategy, usually, to get the big carnivores and let them eat people sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your strategy. First, are you paying the right amount to increase security? You pay coins every time you move it, equal to the coins marked next to where the cube is moving to. Second, how many and what kind of dinosaurs are you making?

I usually intentionally let one guest get eaten in the first round so I can have a good shot at being first player, then go for large carnivores. I may have 3-5 guests eaten over the course of a normal game. I do tend to focus on the lab improvement that lets you upgrade security twice at once, but only pay the second cost. That helps keep cost down and security high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Campbell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 1 base dinosaur and 3 T Rex at the end. I forget which dinosaurs she had, but we both played conservatively. I did pay an awful lot of money on security... thinking of trying the chaos variant next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Super awesome dude
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you determine threat level? A couple of quick things that can be missed....

1) Threat is per dinosaur in the paddock, not a flat threat for the paddock.
2) You add to the threat level the amount of pips on highest remaining dice when checking threat (your temporary threat level).

It's not unheard of to not lose people in a game, but if you're going for high point dinos, you're more likely to lose people. And sometimes people forget about the temporary addition to threat and the fact that threat goes up per dino in your park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 3 dinosaurs past the base is quite few, but it also depends on game length. I play Medium and usually end with 9 to 12, including the free base Dino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most." - Frank Castle
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
including the free base Dino.
Images in my head of Three men crouched in a dark alley lighting up and smoking tiny dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Bode
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I often play with no causalities - hey I feel responsible if people die due to my mismanagement.

We played a long game a few weeks ago though when we had several years (we call rounds 'years' went by with one of the players having everyone who visited his park being eaten. He kept cramming new dinosaurs in and people lined up to be guided to the jaws of the latest attraction. What is more we had the 'Threat dice' in play - so most other players were nervous about making dinosaurs and focused on security. He bought a lawyer to make some extra money from the small half-eaten children that littered his park. Goodness knows what they were telling the press - but they kept coming! Maybe it was good that the people had decided to stay for a longer holiday?!!

By turn 5 he had almost -20 points and he changed strategy into building security. The game lasted for 3 more rounds with no one dying on the last 2 rounds. He hammered our scores when we did the bonus points for the dinosaurs and park extras. Did OK on the bonus cards and came almost last on the base points (due to his minuses). Overall - he won with a clear lead of 20 points.

So, yes - it's OK to let them meeples get killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls