Subject: Mini expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Each day my survival instinct grows stronger because of my addiction to this game zombie I played about 30/40 times the core game, got the Voyage of the beagle expansion and didn't even started it.

The thing is, I don't feel complete knowing that there are official expansions out there that I'm not using. I'm not talking about stickers, I'm talking about new events, creatures, characters, trait cards... basically everything that gives you more options while playing or bring something new/different.

Would you please share you thoughts with me about what mini expansions do you consider worth buying and why?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
Hi!

Each day my survival instinct grows stronger because of my addiction to this game zombie I played about 30/40 times the core game, got the Voyage of the beagle expansion and didn't even started it.

The thing is, I don't feel complete knowing that there are official expansions out there that I'm not using. I'm not talking about stickers, I'm talking about new events, creatures, characters, trait cards... basically everything that gives you more options while playing or bring something new/different.

Would you please share you thoughts with me about what mini expansions do you consider worth buying and why?

Thank you
What is your definition of "worth"? Your desire for everything official may run counter to getting only what's "worth it."

Have you seen the wonderful summary of all the official additions? See here: The Ultimate Guide to Official Robinson Crusoe Expansions, Promos, and Accessories

Since there's so much, it may be better to look through there, decide which ones look most interesting to you, and then ask what people's thoughts are on those particular additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
Hi!

Thank you

After I originally played RC I chased down a few of the expansions that were available then (Beach, trait cards, extra hunting cards, Beagle and new scenarios to be specific).

For me, the new scenarios and Beagle are worth buying. The mini-expansions don't add very much (and maybe even dilute) the core game for me.

From now on, I am only interested in boxed expansions and new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
What is your definition of "worth"? Your desire for everything official may run counter to getting only what's "worth it."
I would like to have your opinion, but by worth I mean "What do you think about this mini expansions? Do you think they make the game more immersive/thematic, more easy, more difficult, do they change important aspects or mechanics of the game?" - With all this, are they worth it to you? Anything you would like to mention about this is relevant and I will take into consideration, just like Wayne did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your answer Wayne. I was afraid of that, that is why I made this thread, I maybe to impulsive right now because I'm loving this game.

Just one question, what mini-expansions do you think may dilute the core game and what was your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
Quote:
I would like to have your opinion, but by worth I mean "What do you think about this mini expansions? Do you think they make the game more immersive/thematic, more easy, more difficult, do they change important aspects or mechanics of the game?" - With all this, are they worth it to you? Anything you would like to mention about this is relevant and I will take into consideration just like Walker did
Unfortunately, I don't own any of the expansions . I'm getting Mystery Tales in a few months so I can update you then on that. I probably won't pursue any of the small expansions and promos, because there are too many to track down and I prefer to spend my funds on different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Richter
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that I got a bunch of the mini expansions. Haven't tried the scenarios or Sailor character yet, but all the extra cards are great, add even more variety. Shelters upgrades and Pen & Garden are interesting, but definitely situational.

Searching the beach cards are the least interesting one I got. I'm a solo player and feel like there is a good chance that it is a wasted action. They might be more interesting with 3 or 4 players and there are less interesting things to do on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
Thank you for your answer Wayne. I was afraid of that, that is why I made this thread, I maybe to impulsive right now because I'm loving this game.

Just one question, what mini-expansions do you think may dilute the core game and what was your experience?
I strictly play solo, usually with 2 characters and Friday.

Beach: I don’t feel like the game needs another option to spend actions on.

Traits: in retrospect, I didn’t want more things to track about my characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your opinions!
I've decided to buy these:
Hunting Adventures - Mini Expansion
Mystery cards - Mini expansion
Discovery Tokens with a bag - Mini Expansion
Event Cards - Mini Expansion

The one that I was also considering was the sailor character but as I've got a new character from the beagle expansion (missionary) I decided to start saving some money for *Mystery Tales*

Good adventures to everyone! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
Thank you for your opinions!
Mystery cards - Mini expansion
Discovery Tokens with a bag - Mini Expansion
Event Cards - Mini Expansion

The one that I was also considering was the sailor character but as I've got a new character from the beagle expansion (missionary) I decided to start saving some money for *Mystery Tales*

Good adventures to everyone! arrrh
There's also the "Ready to Adventure 2" promo pack available right now on Portal's website for $99 USD (and free shipping). It contains almost every promo/mini-expansion that has ever been released, other than the Spyglass (available in the BGG store) and stuff that comes in the new medium square TTR-sized second edition box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
There's also the "Ready to Adventure 2" promo pack available right now on Portal's website for $99 USD
That promo pack was the reason why I posted here asking for your suggestions

I thought that probably a lot of stuff there would not increase my experience in the game and I didn't need to spend that much money (I spent around 40€), still get good stuff for the game and save some for the Mystery Tales expansion!

Anyway, thank you Josh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Beck
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There also is a ton of scenarios here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181791/scenarios-availabl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nishikigoi wrote:
After you get this mini-expansion, please kindly go to this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2129517/less-chance-gaining... and answer my question there. Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope to answer your question this week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in the middle of a game now, using a few of the mini-expansions for the first time:

* Upgraded Shelters - An interesting one, adds a lot of theme to the game. In my current game I've built a pantry in the cave and it's come in very handy. Making food non-perishable seems to be very powerful though. I'll use this expansion again, but I'll keep an eye out for them making the game too easy.

* Extra Beast Cards and Adventures - Already had a few adventure cards cropping up this game, again they add a lot of theme. It feels like the beast deck really needed the adventure cards, the deck doesn't feel as two dimensional now. I'll use these again.

* Searching the Beach Cards - Once again this deck sits on the side and doesn't usually get used. It adds to the theme (as ever), but there never seems to be a right time to actually search the beach!

* Herb Garden & Pen - I love these. Do they get used every game? No. But again, the mechanics are solid and they enhance the 'we are building a civilisation' feel. Included in every game.

* Extra Discovery Tokens - Big bags of discovery tokens are awesome. Does slightly dilute the chances of getting scenario-specific tokens though, worth bearing in mind.

* Extra Event & Mystery Cards - A straight up good addition to the decks.

* Trait Cards 1 & 2 - They sit there, looking at me, and I never end up using them.

* Hunting Dog & Crewman Deck - Sometimes used. Useful for theming your story even before the game starts. Occasional use, don't regret it when I do.

* Sailor Character - Used occasionally, a nice addition to the unfortunate crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Valgar!

I think I made a good choice not buying "Searching the Beach Cards"

The ones that I'm still thinking of are the "Upgraded Shelters" and "Herb Garden & Pen" mini expansions (I may even try Herb Garden & Pen before buying).

Quote:
* Extra Discovery Tokens - Big bags of discovery tokens are awesome. Does slightly dilute the chances of getting scenario-specific tokens though, worth bearing in mind.
Damn.. I was saved a lot of times by scenario-specific tokens.

But I already bought it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valgar wrote:

* Searching the Beach Cards - Once again this deck sits on the side and doesn't usually get used. It adds to the theme (as ever), but there never seems to be a right time to actually search the beach!
I have pretty much the same feelings. I would like to use it more, but there is rarely time or possibility to risk possibly wasting an action and getting nothing in return. The only times the Beach deck has been used in my games have been on the first turn of the game with 4 characters. Then there might not be enough sensible things to do on the first turn so having an option to search the beach for a jackpot (free item build) is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:

The only times the Beach deck has been used in my games have been on the first turn of the game with 4 characters.
You might be on to something there. I too have noticed that the Beach cards do have more of a place in high player counts, just like you said. Perhaps some subtle tweak of the drawing rules would make them more accessible without over-powering them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valgar wrote:

You might be on to something there. I too have noticed that the Beach cards do have more of a place in high player counts, just like you said. Perhaps some subtle tweak of the drawing rules would make them more accessible without over-powering them?
I have actually house ruled that if you draw the Nothing card, you can pay two determination to redraw from the deck. The idea was to make the Beach deck see more use, but that house rule has not affected anything, as on the first round when you might want to search the beach, you don't have any determination tokens (unless you have some specific starting items).

Actually I think that there is very similar problem with the Sailor character's special treasure search action from the totems. In both cases you have to spend an action (or two if you don't want to throw the dice) and even if you succeed, you might not get anything in return (or even something harmful, as with the sailor). And if you have luck and succeed on both tests - dice and the card draw -, you still have no idea what the good outcome of the action will be. You cannot plan for it, it is just a random bonus, often useful but not always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have actually house ruled that if you draw the Nothing card, you can pay two determination to redraw from the deck.
I like this solution, doesn't seem too unbalanced, especially in the first turns.

The Sailor character is definitely a strange one. Unusual skills, not useless, but either quite specific or too random. IIRC his health track is one of his/her biggest benefits, only one morale drop on it gives a lot of stability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm using the beach cards this way: every time a player performs a search gathering action on the beach tile, he/she can spend 2 determination tokens to draw a beach card. I still do this quite rarely, but it seems to me much more balanced / less swingy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Quichotte wrote:
I'm using the beach cards this way: every time a player performs a search action on the beach tile, he/she can spend 2 determination tokens to draw a beach card. I still do this quite rarely, but it seems to me much more balanced / less swingy.
I presume you mean the Gather action. That could work, as in a typical scenario I think that the Gather action is quite rarely used compared to Exploration and Building. One "problem" I see with this is that thematically it is a bit weird that when your camp is on the beach, you cannot benefit from this house rule at all. Unless the first player/any player is allowed to spend the determination tokens during Production phase which represents the gathering of resources on your camp tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I meant Gather. Sorry, I was very tired

I know it's thematically only half-justified, but there are worse thematic inconsistencies in this game anyway IMO. Spending the two tokens during the production phase would be overpowered. Alternatively, if we increase the cost to 3 or maybe even 4 tokens, for example, the whole mechanism would be too swingy for my taste, the way I play it is barely acceptable to me for exactly the same reason (quite swingy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are great ideas to houserule. Now I think I should have bought that mini expansion too angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |