Hide
10 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: First play through - generation marker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Engebretson
msg tools
Great first play. Im not understanding the purpose of the generation/round marker if one isn't playing solo variant. Did i miss something important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foiegras23 wrote:
Great first play. Im not understanding the purpose of the generation/round marker if one isn't playing solo variant. Did i miss something important?
Nope. It doesn't actually matter in multiplayer games. But it may be helpful to see how many generations your games tend to go.

Generation Marker
Is there a reason for the Generation (Round) Marker
What is the generation marker for?
Generation Marker
The Generation Marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malgorth
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do find it useful if we ever need to recalculate some gain/resource. but it's barely used in multiplayer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent M.
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it very useful to choose when to stop the (opportunistic) engine-building and start focusing on VPs. See a very interesting post in https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2139902/value-vp-and-produc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foiegras23 wrote:
If you're playing with the Drafting rules, it's handy to remind yourself in which direction the cards should be passed for that particular draft.

As others have said, it's good to know for purposes of gauging when the game is probably going to end.

That's generally about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This marker is to be eaten by the winner of the game.

Also, don't use it in solo, you'll forget all about it. Just pre-count your cards for each generation and put them in a nice little stack when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spartax wrote:
foiegras23 wrote:
Nope. It doesn't actually matter in multiplayer games. But it may be helpful to see how many generations your games tend to go.

Generation Marker
Generation Marker
The Generation Marker
It's amazing how often this question is asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
spartax wrote:
foiegras23 wrote:

Generation Marker
Generation Marker
The Generation Marker
It's amazing how often this question is asked.
Almost as often as 'Why does the game seem so wonky when we only get two actions and then move on to another generation?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Cox

Alabama
msg tools
My wife and I play TM quite often, and our play styles lead to our games generally lasting about the same number of turns (varying by which expansions are in play, but we generally play with all of them). Our games tend to run into the higher generation counts as we both are usually working on some sort of long term strategy.

If you find this to be the case for your group as well, the generation marker can be helpful to guesstimate whether your production investments will have time to pay off. Unless the game is clearly getting close to finished, I find myself looking at the generation marker frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One purpose is to create these kinds of threads

...and in emberessment teaech people how to use the search button
 Thumb up
 tip