Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this is on the Pathfinder forums but I feel Apocrypha is similar to Pathfinder and I wish to ask which do you feel is better, more thematic, better mechanics..etc?

I am fully invested in Pathfinder and I love it, so there is that as a disclaimer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've eyed up Apocrypha once or twice but to me it's seemed too rough around the edges to invest in. I'm sure it has it's strengths though. I love me some PACG however, despite the flack it gets.

Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend seeking out and grabbing Aventuria The Card Game, based on the two games you've mentioned. It's a really good game with several expansions that really flesh out the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love PACG, and we're finishing up our 6th campaign (3 RotR, 3 MM). We bought Apocrypha, and I really liked the theme that came through in the rulebooks and the cards.

After a few scenarios, I don't think we'll continue. I enjoyed it more than my wife. Her main issue, I think, was that the theme didn't resonate with her. The big problem from my standpoint is the difference with character progression.

With PACG, our favorite part of the game, by far, is building up our characters. New cards, better skills, cool powers. It's also cool to follow the storyline as it progresses (using the fan-made Adventure Guide).

Apocrypha lets you complete the scenarios in any order, so there isn't the same sense of a continuing story. Where PACG is like a TV series that tells a story over multiple seasons, Apocrypha is more of a "monster of the week" series with minimal plot continuation.

Character progression, at least in the first few scenarios of Apocrypha, wasn't nearly as interesting. And since the scenario difficulties don't ramp up, apparently you're expected to rotate out your characters and start fresh ones from time to time. That really doesn't work for me, and I wish I had realized that before buying the game.

So while I wanted to like Apocrypha, and I think it would work great for a lot of people, I would generally recommend PACG over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
My wife and I love PACG, and we're finishing up our 6th campaign (3 RotR, 3 MM). We bought Apocrypha, and I really liked the theme that came through in the rulebooks and the cards.

After a few scenarios, I don't think we'll continue. I enjoyed it more than my wife. Her main issue, I think, was that the theme didn't resonate with her. The big problem from my standpoint is the difference with character progression.

With PACG, our favorite part of the game, by far, is building up our characters. New cards, better skills, cool powers. It's also cool to follow the storyline as it progresses (using the fan-made Adventure Guide).

Apocrypha lets you complete the scenarios in any order, so there isn't the same sense of a continuing story. Where PACG is like a TV series that tells a story over multiple seasons, Apocrypha is more of a "monster of the week" series with minimal plot continuation.

Character progression, at least in the first few scenarios of Apocrypha, wasn't nearly as interesting. And since the scenario difficulties don't ramp up, apparently you're expected to rotate out your characters and start fresh ones from time to time. That really doesn't work for me, and I wish I had realized that before buying the game.

So while I wanted to like Apocrypha, and I think it would work great for a lot of people, I would generally recommend PACG over it.
My wife and I only got as far as the first Chapter of apocrypha, but we had the same type of experience. The really disappointing part is mostly the lack of any real Character progression. Sure you get new fragments that sort of makes your character better, but they are random and not very common. In Pathfinder (RotR at least) you'd get about 3 or 4 distinct progressions (card/skill/power) for each character in an adventure of 5 scenarios. Here, you get one permanent fragment for the group in each scenario. And it's hard to control which fragment you get. The fleeting fragments aren't worth it. Most of them will help you out as a single shot and then be gone and cannot really be said to help you progress a character.

tl;dr: Get apocrypha if you prefer Horror to Fantasy. Otherwise, get Pathfinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
tl;dr: Get apocrypha if you prefer Horror to Fantasy. Otherwise, get Pathfinder.
I think Apocrypha might also be better for people who prefer one-shot games over lengthy campaigns with stable participants. If you're not going to run through all 30+ sessions of a PACG campaign with roughly the same humans at the table, I wouldn't bother starting it.

Also, I guess Apocrypha is "horror", but it seems more like Charmed or Buffy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me for piggy backing on this thread but whats the setup like for Apocrypha?

I quite enjoy PACG but it's the setup and shuffling throughout a play that stops me playing it. It's just so tedious and feels like it takes forever compared to the amount of time actually spent splaying the game if you aren't being lazy about the shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:
Excuse me for piggy backing on this thread but whats the setup like for Apocrypha?

I quite enjoy PACG but it's the setup and shuffling throughout a play that stops me playing it. It's just so tedious and feels like it takes forever compared to the amount of time actually spent splaying the game if you aren't being lazy about the shuffling.
With many PACG characters and scenarios, there is almost no shuffling during the game. Some powers do have you shuffling almost every turn, though. In last night's game, my wife was shuffling her player deck every other turn or so. I only shuffled mine once, and I think we only shuffled location decks once, or maybe twice at most.

Yes, PACG setup is daunting. I always take time after we finish a scenario to set up the next one, so we can sit down and start playing. I think it takes me about 5 minutes.

Apocrypha is not a ton different as far as setup. The locations are similar, and you still need the equivalent of a blessing deck. I forget how many player or other powers force shuffling during the game, but my sense is that it's similar to PACG, and maybe toward the lower end of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for input.