3 Posts

Vindication» Forums » General

Subject: How to get people „in“ the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Göppel
msg tools
Hey folks,

I played Vindication only two times until now (sad to say that). Our core gaming group consists of four guys (including me) and as there are a lot of really good games out there we also play a lot of different games. That’s okay but I would like to have Vindication on the table more often.

Anyway, two days ago I got the chance to intodruce the game to this group. One of them liked it a lot (and won with a total of 150 points, if I remember right), the other two didn’t like it that much. The main critique was that they didn’t felt to be „in“ the game. They did a lot of things but with no connection to a story. I understand this and I would agree that Vindication is some kind of abstract and also a little technical (example: I want to hunt a monster. So what do I do? I spend 2 courage and automatically defeat it, without any story or tension).
We also play Gloomhaven a lot – there you have a story and the fights feel to be real (I don‘t want compare them both but I think my friends did somehow). You really ARE the character on the board. On the other side we also love to play games like Terraforming Mars which is much more like Vindication a more abstract game (even if the theme and mechanisms are way different).

What I understand about Vindication is that the creator don’t want to give a whole story plot, just a frame to be creative in.

Finally my question: Do you feel similar to my friends? What could I do to help them getting into the world of Vindication? Or do you think that it‘s maybe just not their game*?

Thanks for your help!

SimmeGo

*I think everyone has some preferences. But you aren’t able to get to know a game by just playing it once or twice. For example I had to play Scythe 5 to 10 times to really got in building a strategy and knowing how to play good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll refer you to this discussion thread, from a few months back. Same topic.

Not perfect. Still incredible. An 8.5 review.

In one of my responses I put it this way:

OchreOgre wrote:
I was expecting more story, more thematic connection, but that's me, my expectation. Knowing what I know now, it's fine, I find it very enjoyable. I find Merchants and Marauders very enjoyable, too, despite a complete lack of inter-connecting story, because that is something I put together on my own during the infrequent plays I get of that game. I find myself now doing the same in Vindication. As we are playing, we are creating a story, in our minds. This is one I'll pull out and teach and play any time, we've quite enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
SimmeGoe wrote:
But you aren’t able to get to know a game by just playing it once or twice.
First, that's not true. Second, that's not the issue here anyway. Your friends just didn't like the theme disconnection. No amount of games is going to change that. Creators are going great lengths to make you believe that there's something deeper there, which is a noble effort, but the lore just didn't connect well from the game itself and I can totally understand why this can be a turn off for someone.

Just pick a different game, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls