Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Pandemic: The Cure» Forums » General

Subject: Character roles and special abilitiies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

-
msg tools
Help me make up my mind about whether to get the cure or not.

I'm not a big pandemic fan, I find the boardgame restrictive and deterministic. I do like the survival series but even then, only fall of Rome is a bit less deterministic, mostly because of dice adding uncertainty.

My biggest interest in the cure are the roles. It seems that these have been much more elaborated than in pandemic. Each role has a different dice set with unique symbols, which allows for more variety and better fine-tuning abilities.

I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Help me make up my mind about whether to get the cure or not.

I'm not a big pandemic fan, I find the boardgame restrictive and deterministic. I do like the survival series but even then, only fall of Rome is a bit less deterministic, mostly because of dice adding uncertainty.

My biggest interest in the cure are the roles. It seems that these have been much more elaborated than in pandemic. Each role has a different dice set with unique symbols, which allows for more variety and better fine-tuning abilities.

I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.



I think I played one game with the expansion, and even then, it was only with the new roles. None of the optional modules. I'll check to see if I have any notes on when I played the exp., but for the time being, I can def. comment on the base game...


The dice to make things more different. FWIW though, some of it merely simulates what the bg version characters are like. For example, the Medic gets different dice, just like everyone else, but hers ends up having more sides and quantities of Treatment/needles, so it ends up mimicking her role in the bg version anyways.


Still, I like rolling dice, I liked more uncertainty injected here, and having just 6 placards for the "map"/"board" does make the game more compact. It's different enough to be worth playing, while still having that feel, with elements of the In The Lab exp. incorporated in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
Quote:
some of it merely simulates what the bg version characters are like
Well, I never liked most of the roles in pandemic expansions. And even some roles from the base game never clicked.

I haven't played the cure so can't really know but the roles in the cure all seem to be more special.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents is I find the roles much more interesting in Cure. For example there is the generalist who has seven dice instead of 5 and can ignore one rolled biohazard.

There are 7 roles I think in base game and 8 in expansion so lots of variety. The roles and the unique dice for each role is the main reason it’s my favorite Pandemic except for Legacy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Help me make up my mind about whether to get the cure or not.

I'm not a big pandemic fan, I find the boardgame restrictive and deterministic. I do like the survival series but even then, only fall of Rome is a bit less deterministic, mostly because of dice adding uncertainty.

My biggest interest in the cure are the roles. It seems that these have been much more elaborated than in pandemic. Each role has a different dice set with unique symbols, which allows for more variety and better fine-tuning abilities.

I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.



I'm a hardcore gamer, and I should say to me, Pandemic the Cure is by far the best and most fun Pandemic game in the series (not including Legacies). Not only each character has a distinct feature, it has a different set of die. Unlike the original one or other pandemics like for instance Cthulhu (which is a hell lot of fun to play), you feel you're in power and useful with each and every character in the game. Die rolling adds randomness to the game, yes. But the contagion face chance is only 1 to 6 and all pandemic games have a total random phase where you pray for the card not to target a certain area. If you like rolling and beauty! don't hesitate a moment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
Alright so where do I buy this?

Has it always been as expensive as it is now?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Alright so where do I buy this?

Has it always been as expensive as it is now?
I agree. It is expensive. Have you tried Geek Market? or Philibert. C'est la version française et j'assume que vu que vous venez de Belgique, c'est pas un problème. Mais cela va vous limiter à jouer qu'avec les francophones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.
Let me preface this post by stating that I prefer Pandemic: The Cure over regular Pandemic. We also own the expansion: Pandemic: The Cure – Experimental Meds, which adds more roles.

With or without the expansion, this is a great cooperative game. Many of the roles mirror those in the regular game and expansions, but the fact that each role has a unique set of dice reflecting their capabilities makes it more fun. Newcomers grasp the mechanics quite readily. I can't say that there is any role I'd rather not play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
-xXx- wrote:
I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.
Let me preface this post by stating that I prefer Pandemic: The Cure over regular Pandemic. We also own the expansion: Pandemic: The Cure – Experimental Meds, which adds more roles.

With or without the expansion, this is a great cooperative game. Many of the roles mirror those in the regular game and expansions, but the fact that each role has a unique set of dice reflecting their capabilities makes it more fun. Newcomers grasp the mechanics quite readily. I can't say that there is any role I'd rather not play.
FWIW, none of them seem "obligatory".

Another bonus with P:TC is that setup is much faster. Sure, it's not too much work, but it was still a pain in the neck to set up the "individual Epidemic decks"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, but what do you actually think of the roles?
Are there any you prefer or dislike?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Help me make up my mind about whether to get the cure or not.

I'm not a big pandemic fan, I find the boardgame restrictive and deterministic. I do like the survival series but even then, only fall of Rome is a bit less deterministic, mostly because of dice adding uncertainty.

My biggest interest in the cure are the roles. It seems that these have been much more elaborated than in pandemic. Each role has a different dice set with unique symbols, which allows for more variety and better fine-tuning abilities.

I haven't seen a single thread about cure roles so I'm asking: how do you like the different roles? And I mean all the roles, including the expanded.
You might like Pandemic the Cure because the dice makes the game much more random, less deterministic. The game is very expensive because of the multitude of dice. The expansion is also very expensive (more costly than the base game, if I remember correctly) but is definitely worth it adding many roles and other game mechanisms that extends the game's life for me.

As far as the roles go, I find they are just as interesting as the board game, for the most part simulating the effects of the board game to dice rolling, so you might not like them especially since you don't like those from the board game. For example, the medic normally can remove cubes more easily in the board game. To simulate this, the medic has dice with one side having remove 2 dice and another to remove 3 dice (normally it's only one die). The dispatcher can move people around in the board game while in the dice game, if he rolls a helicopter, he can move people on somebody else's turn and he can bring another pawn to his pawn on his turn. However, there are roles that are different from the board game, so those might seem more interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
Dispatcher and medic I actually like very much in the bg.

Scientist, quarantine spec and contingency planner are less interesting in the bg. And most of the on the brink roles are hampered in one way or another.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also like Pandemic, some of the roles (like Scientist and Generalist) are great for less experienced players while the Medic and Dispatcher (and my personal favorite from EM, the Celebrity Activist) provide for more tactical decision-making. I don't remember any of the Experimental Meds characters being particularly good for beginners, except maybe the Epidemiologist.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Dispatcher and medic I actually like very much in the bg.

Scientist, quarantine spec and contingency planner are less interesting in the bg. And most of the on the brink roles are hampered in one way or another.
The Dispatcher is my favorite of the boardgame in a 3+ player game and the Generalist is my favorite for 2 player games.

In the dice game, the Dispatcher consistently makes the game harder for me and the Generalist consistently makes the game easier for me. I kept track of two player games with the Dispatcher in the Dice game and won only thrice (out of more than 50 games), and two of those when paired with the Generalist. Conversely, the number of games won with the Generalist (in 2 player games) were 49 out of 50 and that lost game was because of absolutely atrocious dice rolling. As for 3+ player games, I don't have concrete winning percentages but it seems like we almost always lose with him (although I know it's not a 100% loss rate, but it must be close to 90% loss rate).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaDemon wrote:
The Dispatcher is my favorite of the boardgame in a 3+ player game and the Generalist is my favorite for 2 player games.

In the dice game, the Dispatcher consistently makes the game harder for me and the Generalist consistently makes the game easier for me. I kept track of two player games with the Dispatcher in the Dice game and won only thrice (out of more than 50 games), and two of those when paired with the Generalist. Conversely, the number of games won with the Generalist (in 2 player games) were 49 out of 50 and that lost game was because of absolutely atrocious dice rolling. As for 3+ player games, I don't have concrete winning percentages but it seems like we almost always lose with him (although I know it's not a 100% loss rate, but it must be close to 90% loss rate).
I've actually removed the Generalist from the game, I don't want my games to be easy. Will also stop the other players from getting dice envy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls