CPE Gaebler
msg tools
Hi,
I notice that the Guard card does not say "Choose your Sovereign." Am I correct that this means you may use Guard to deploy next to a Sovereign that has already been Ordered e.g. with Heir?

I also have a question with cards like Heir, Aviary, and Swan Song, which depend on whether the destination is threatened / unthreatened. However, whether a square is threatened / unthreatened can change when the piece is moved.

The rules sheet for Heir says that it "must end this move in an unthreatened square." I have assumed this means the square must be unthreatened AFTER the movement. So, for example, a King could not use Heir to move directly away from a Rook Threatening it. The square USED to be unthreatened - because the King was blocking the Rook - but after moving there, it would become a threatened square, making the move invalid.

(The other direction is rarer - but I have assumed that a Khan adjacent to a Changeling could March to a square that USED to be threatened - but moving away from the Changeling would make the square unthreatened, making it a valid move.)

This is less explicit for Aviary and Swan Song - they just say to move to a threatened or unthreatened square. Does it matter if the square's status changes after the move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CPEGaebler wrote:
I notice that the Guard card does not say "Choose your Sovereign." Am I correct that this means you may use Guard to deploy next to a Sovereign that has already been Ordered e.g. with Heir?
Correct.

CPEGaebler wrote:
I also have a question with cards like Heir, Aviary, and Swan Song, which depend on whether the destination is threatened / unthreatened. However, whether a square is threatened / unthreatened can change when the piece is moved.
It's been a while since I've thought about this, but I think these make the most sense if you look at threatened/unthreatened status after the move; e.g. "move this to a threatened square" means "move this to a square where it will be threatened".

I think the FAQ entries for Heir and Swan Song support this, and that's also how the regular Chess rule against moving into check works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPE Gaebler
msg tools
Antistone wrote:
Correct.
Excellent. I rather like having the option to use Heir (or Temple with Anointed) to create a BattleKing mobile deployment station.

Antistone wrote:
It's been a while since I've thought about this, but I think these make the most sense if you look at threatened/unthreatened status after the move; e.g. "move this to a threatened square" means "move this to a square where it will be threatened".

I think the FAQ entries for Heir and Swan Song support this, and that's also how the regular Chess rule against moving into check works.
I think Heir is the most obvious from the text, and was a little confused since the other two were less specific. But I was ruling according to the perceived "rules as intended."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls