14 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » General

Subject: How does pushing a town or city work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
The strangest mechanic I found in Spirit Island is pushing a city. I know that a round lasts roughly one year, but isn't it a bit of a stretch? I imagine an Explorer as a group of explorers and trappers camping in tents or temporary shelters (apparently English doesn't have a name for szałas). A town is a small settlement where people live mostly from farming. A city is a big settlement where people specialize in professions and often import food from towns and villages.

How do I push a town? Is it really making them pack up and leave?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carighan Maconar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, only very few effects can push a city. Most push towns, something entirely believable in the space of (wasn't it 10?) years.

Pushing a city could be a lot of things. Maybe we're actually talking about a years-lasting shift of arrable land and hunting grounds, essentially the city keeps expanding towards that while the old areas slowly get abandoned and then looted and turned into raw materials.

Or maybe a massive flooding not only destroys most houses and deposits the wreckage elsewhere, but also permanently alters the lay of the land so when they rebuild they do it elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I'll never understand these questions. I blame video games that have platforms floating in the air for no reason lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
I looked at in terms of the same way you're describing pushing explorers. The people get up and relocate. Something forces the people to rebuild somewhere else.

That's obviously more effort for the invaders when compared to moving explorers, but not as unreasonable for a more primitive settlement with little infrastructure, which is how I picture these towns. If I remember correctly, thematically a round of Spirit Island is something like 3 years, so a year plus isn't as unreasonable for relocating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Now that you mention it I don't remember any effects pushing a city, but there are lots pushing or gathering a town. Still odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the only printed effect that can relocate a city is Flow Like Water, Reach Like Air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lukács
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the only card that can move a city is Flow like Water, Reach like Air with its threshold. Keep in mind that it's a power that pushes one presence of a spirit, bringing along with it basically everything (Dahan, invaders, blight) other than the tokens from Branch & Claw expansion, so I imagine it's a bit bigger magnitude then just moving a city, since it can potentially relocate lots of stuff from one land to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I believe the only printed effect that can relocate a city is Flow Like Water, Reach Like Air.
...until Jagged Earth! Get a load of this guy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/spirit-island-j...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this definition of a ghost town

A town often becomes a ghost town because the economic activity that supported it has failed, or due to natural or human-caused disasters such as floods, prolonged droughts, government actions, uncontrolled lawlessness, war, pollution, or nuclear disasters.

So you could assume something like one of the above happened and the townsfolk relocated. I also assume that a town in spirit island is the size of a small village but I can't tell you why because I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confounding Mists can get a city to be founded in a different land which is kind of similar.

I believe the concept of moving towns is harder for us to understand as it doesn't happen as much anymore but a few centuries ago when this colonisation was going on it was a lot more likely for the people in a town to pack up and move somewhere else due to disease, wild animals, inadequate farmland etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Semifero
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there is Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares, who can make a city “nope” to the next land or all the way back to Europe.

“Literally everyone in town has the same nightmare about angry vines coming from the desert and eating the buildings. We just left. Just packed up the next day and left.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zubon wrote:
And then there is Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares, who can make a city “nope” to the next land or all the way back to Europe.
Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares cannot push Cities, not without a power that lets it do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, pushing a town is largely about convincing most people in a small settlement to relocate somewhere else. Generally speaking, the scale of a "town" is probably like a semi-permanent trading post, of between 50 and 100 people. People live there opportunistically and will leave if there's better opportunity elsewhere. This is in contrast to a city, where people have roots and ties with the place and are unlikely to just pick up and leave.

Powers that move cities are thematically of a very different sort than the kind that move towns. Moving cities tends to be caused by a very direct, extraordinary exerting of specific kind of spirit power. In the case of Finder, for example, it's about making two places be "the same place" for a time and just leaving the city in the other spot after the two places are no longer the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picture it something like the fate of Centrillia, Pennsylvania or Chernobyl. A major disaster that causes a mass exodus leaving the buildings and infrastructure. As mentioned above, pushing a city is a very rare and drastic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls