12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How much food do animals provide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Edwardson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am thinking of making a survival game were the player can hunt Bear/Deer/Elk and so on. Does anyone know a realistic number of Days/food each of these animals can provide? (assuming preservation and so on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob phillips
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 cube per worker/hunter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rough calculations I'm seeing are 60% of the weight of the animal will be usable meat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Distorted Humor wrote:
I am thinking of making a survival game were the player can hunt Bear/Deer/Elk and so on. Does anyone know a realistic number of Days/food each of these animals can provide? (assuming preservation and so on)
Depends on available preservation methods, and available cooking methods. And somewhat on culture as well. Some culture view a wider range of part as "edible" than do others.

Seems to me in a survival situation one would start with foraging, working up to small game, and only be able to take large game, much less preserve a large carcass, once a sustainable, permanent(ish) stable way of life / base was established.

Researching this topic will take you to some interesting places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Edwardson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Distorted Humor wrote:
Depends on available preservation methods, and available cooking methods. And somewhat on culture as well. Some culture view a wider range of part as "edible" than do others.

Seems to me in a survival situation one would start with foraging, working up to small game, and only be able to take large game, much less preserve a large carcass, once a sustainable, permanent(ish) stable way of life / base was established.

Researching this topic will take you to some interesting places.
Indeed, the idea is to make a game based on the fur expeditions and voyagers, with the idea that the player will want and need to hunt for food to live off the land. But I need to have a decent idea of how much food comes off a Deer or a Bear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to have animals of more varied size (small, medium, large) and then just abstract the food amount based on size rather than hunting fact.

Example:
Rabbit - Small (gives you 1 food)

Deer - Medium (gives you 3 food)

Bear - Large (gives you 5 food)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cahalan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
A deer has about 58 lbs of usable meat. 4 oz of venison has about 136 calories. Thus a deer has about 31552 calories. Soldiers in a cold-weather field environment use 4200-5000 calories. Soldiers in a temperate field environment are expected to consume three MREs, which comes out to 3600 calories. That means that a deer will provide about a week's worth of food. Add in the parts that people don't eat normally (organs) and you can probably stretch it to 10 days.

Do the same math for other animals and you can figure it all out. Or just say that a deer is worth 4 cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Distorted Humor wrote:
googling for "meat yield deer" can get you charts like this:

http://www.alfredny.biz/sportsmen/Whitetail-yield-chart.htm

the Hunter game wiki has nice chart about animal weights:

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Animal_Weights

do you have more information about your game? that sounds interesting!

would be cool to hear more.

(I'm developing survival game too )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Edwardson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
Distorted Humor wrote:

do you have more information about your game? that sounds interesting!

would be cool to hear more.

(I'm developing survival game too ;))
The basic concept is inspired by the Fur Trade/Ashley's Hundred/Hugh Glass. Intended as a Solo game in the nature of B-17 Queen of the Skys/The Hunters/Pattons Best and so on. (as I like chart games)

You are in charge of a Fur Trade company getting ready to explore the Upper Missouri, You hire workers (first starting as greenhorns, and then they specialize as they gain experience) you send groups up the river (on canoes, flatboats, or walking/horse) carrying trapping gear, Trading goods, weapons, and food.

You can send out parties to hunt for more food (thus my question), to trap, and your main group can keep exploring/build stuff. There will be rules about building a fortified house/small fort to overwinter and so on.

You can encounter Natives, which will be mostly friendly Pawnee (who will trade furs for trade goods),or the Arikara (who will want to kill you as at this time they were fighting encroachment) or rarely some Sioux who may attack, or may trade.

The goal is to build up a experienced set of workers who can trap or trade for furs and get them to market, And build and maintain any needed forts or supply depots to support them, paying for future expeditions.

Combat is simple, but I am setting up a nasty infection system that can lead to (with bad luck) a minor wound becoming infected and killing one of your workers.

I will allow the player to name his workers, leading them to become attached to the young greenhorn that becomes the experienced mountain man, but give a little more choice to the player then say, B-17 does. However making sure your workers are fed/clothed and have shelter is very important (thus the survival aspects.)

If I make this into a workable game, I might use the same system for a post end of the world game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Good luck with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you google nutitionix.com for "game meat", you'll get a slew of results for the nutritional yield of various game meats, prepared in various ways, including raw.

Each entry for a cooked eat also notes how much prepared food results per unit of raw meat.

Combined with other sources relating how much raw meat each species typically yields (sources tend to be all over the place on that, but seems to range from 40%-60% gross weight, with larger, stockier animals yielding a higher %age), you can build up a table of caloric values of each animal, raw, roasted, broiled, etc.

Then bring in a preservation mechanic, and your in-game actors can expand their facilities and technology in various ways to increase the efficiency of their hunting. Not sure how complex of a simulation you are going for?

site:nutritionix.com game meat

The thing I haven't found is guidance on how various preservation techniques (drying, smoking, rendering, potting, pickling, chilling, brining, yadda) affect nutritional content and how the food keeps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls