Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an attender and put on many events for Gottacon/LANtasy for many years. Disappointed to see those disappear. With no apparent multi-day boardgaming con in the works, I have just penciled in some dates with my first hotel of choice, Comfort Inn and Suites. Centrally located with a great space, a pub on site, and access to a food court at mayfair mall, it is my #1 choice.

My intent is to replicate the experiences I have had at other boardgaming cons in the pacific northwest, Bottoscon, GameOn! and recently CascadeCon. These promote an open and friendly atmosphere of just pure boardgaming, some with a wargaming focus but open to all boardgamers. Key to this is a self driven schedule. That is, events are not submitted, approved, and finally uploaded by a third party. Events are instead on a spreadsheet that is managed by the players. Instant event submission and exact details of who is playing what when.

Expect more details as I can gather them, but May 10-12 are the dates this year. That's three months out!

Suggestions for a name are welcome as well. Right now I am using a working name of VictoriaCon (for obvious reasons, but she is also the Roman goddess of victory and games) or DefCon (apparently a hacker con, bad idea) or...dunno what else yet.

Questions, comments? Any webpage designers out there willing to donate their skills?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miranda Folland
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you Geoff. Sounds like a great idea. I know you'll be great at it with all your BGG Con experience too.

Sorry I can't help but I'd like to attend. I've subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Something Navy? One of Canada's only two naval ports are there (-ish, Esquimalt). What else is special about the area? RabbitCon? PigWarCon? RetirementCon? Also, for some reason, I feel like 4 syllables is the natural maximum for a con name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May 12th is Mother's day, but otherwise, it should be good.

DefCon definitely sounds too wargameyish, in my opinion, unless you're strongly focusing on mainly a wargaming crowd.

Subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Miranda!

Colin Parker wrote:
May 12th is Mother's day, but otherwise, it should be good.
Yeah that was something that was just too hard to dodge this late in the year. Plan may be to move to the first weekend in may next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how about victorycon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
VictoriaCon sounds great!
And as long as it is in Victoria (ie- not moving it to Vancouver).... gets the message across.
My sons and me will make an effort to get to this if possible.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are live!

http://victoriaconn.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/events/716490522080663/?active_tab=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
One week to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

Would RPG's be considered in the future...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff, a few of us from Vancouver are considering coming over. Can we still get tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
Geoff, a few of us from Vancouver are considering coming over. Can we still get tickets?
Yes. Paypal or etransfer to talonz51 at hotmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls