Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my Geeklist at:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/purge-reviews-reco...

My video reviews can be found here:

www.youtube.com/purgereviewsboardgames

Conclusion:

Architekton is a tile laying game for two players. I would guess this game came out around the time Carcassone was taking the world by storm. Architekton takes the tile laying experience and shrinks it down into a smaller, 2 player experience.

The game is a puzzle to score better than your opponent. The tile laying is very restricted and you always have a general idea what your opponent is going to have access to. This can be a guessing game to know what your opponent is going to do. It can be very tricky to play the perfect combination.

It should be noted that the game can be very nasty. A large part of the strategy is to screw up the plans of your opponent. Placing the most imperfect tile around the building of your opponent is a large, large part of winning this game. The game can be very, very mean. Some gamers will not enjoy this part of the game especially when playing with a spouse (some spouses will love it!).

Teaching and learning the game is very easy. The game pretty much has zero theme. The idea of playing buildings but they cannot be near each other is silly, but works within the confines of the game. I just wouldn't want fans of Architektons in the real world to be gung ho and find an abstract game and be disappointed.

Overall, this is a fine little tile laying game that is exclusively made for two players. The game is abstract so some players may not enjoy a themeless game. The game plays quick so parents with small children can sneak in a game when possible. The game isn't going to work for us as we enjoy games with more theme and a little bit of a longer experience.

Purge.

Components:

The components are from a different era but they were pretty good for that era. The box is small and almost portable, but it is way to thick for what it needs to be. The box could have been a lot smaller and a lot more portable. You can put this in a sandwich bag and be just fine. The cardboard tiles are fine and the art work is fine and user friendly. The little houses are wooden and work great. Everything is good.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very good and the rules can be read in 10-15 minutes. The rules are super simple and super clear. I love Queen rule books and this one does not disappoint. Great job!

Flow of the Game:

Each player has a number of houses in their chosen color. All the building tiles are then shuffled with 4 tiles set aside as the reserve. The landscape tiles are shuffled and 4 tiles are set aside as a reserve.

Then, 3 building tiles and 3 landscape tiles are placed face up to form "the stock". Finally, two landscape tiles are placed at a diagonal to form the start of the "board".

Player Turn:

Each player will take their turn and then alternate with the other player. This continues until the game ends.

A player will take two tiles from the stock. They lay those tiles on the board per the rules for laying tiles. Then, the stock is brough up to 3 building tiles and 3 landscape tiles.

Rules for laying tile:

A. When tiles are laid they have to be played Building tile next to a Landscape tile in a checkered pattern.

B. Each tile must be placed next to another tile.

C. If a building tile is laid the player will place one of his houses on the building tile.

If a building tile is enclosed on all 4 sides a scoring round will occur:

You are trying to match the sides of the building tile with the landscape tiles surrounding it:

1 side not matching - lose 1 chip
2 side not matching - lose 2 chips
3 sides not matching - lose 3 chips

If the player chooses to take his building off the tile, he can reduce the penatly of losing a chip by 1.

The game ends if you cannot pay a number of chips when required or the stock tiles cannot be replenished.

Should I buy this game?:

I can recommend this game for fans of tile laying games. This is an exclusive two player game so it would be good for spouses or anyone who wants to play a quick two player game. This is a good experience if you have a new baby and want to play a quick two player game. If you are looking for a deeper, longer experience than this would not be for you.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 2029 Architekton: A tile laying adventure for two player goodness
This is a game my wife enjoy and even though it is a "purge" for you I think your review hits all the reasons we enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 2029 Architekton: A tile laying adventure for two player goodness
Nice review. This one hovers on my "purge" pile as well. For what it is, it is a nice little game as you say. The worst part of it is the amount of space it takes up on the shelf for what is actually in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thejadeape wrote:
This is a game my wife enjoy and even though it is a "purge" for you I think your review hits all the reasons we enjoy it.
This is more of a purge due to the number of games we have than a stinker.

I sort of went with this "Keep or Purge" but it doesn't mean good or stink game.

It is really just an indication if I'm keeping it in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls