Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
1984 - Big Brother was watching me.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my first take on this awesome game, running NotZ with Roland Banks solo (Core only).
I believe The Gathering went pretty much smoothly, with crazy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lita Chantler convincing me to burn down my house (and costing me a mental trauma)
and
a well placed dynamite blast helping me getting rid of the Ghoul Priest for good.

Spent my hard earned 5 XP adding Elder Sign Amulet and Encyclopedia to my deck (got rid of Mind over Matter and another card which I think was Medical Texts)
Midnight Masks was a complete flop, with me being defeated (sanity) after interrogating just two of the cultists
(Victoria Devereux and the Masked Hunter).
Another mental trauma was added to my already troubled mind.
Earned 3 XP which were promptly spent upgrading Beat Cop and purchasing Unexpected Courage (0 lvl Beat Cop and Barricade were dismissed).

I wasn't fully aware of what expected me in the Arkham Woods, but I knew it would be hard, because on the third turn I was already dividing my attention between a premature Cover Up draw and nasty cultists with doom tokens upon them.

Turns out the ritual had just been triggered by the fast advancing agenda and I was still on Act 1(!), with 2 horror in the ES amulet and 2 on myself; no machete, no guns (not even a knife), and Lita Chantler was nowhere to be seen. Odds were against me. Death was lurking.

But then I looked at the last card I had drawn... Old Book of Lore. I wouldn't have given it much attention if not for the possibility to draw the top 3 cards of my deck and choose one. I don't know exactly what I was looking for. Maybe Dynamyite Blast to help me wreak some havoc before being torn apart by that abhorrent and grotesque being.

I had 3 actions before the enemy phase when the Old One would come nearer and engage me... 1. Paid the Old Tome cost to put it into play 2. Used it -- That's when Lita showed up (second card from three) 3. Put her into play.
Enemy phase... The Old One approached. Mythos Phase... One doom token was added to the Agenda. A ghoul was drawn.

Then I read the text on the Old One's card. And then read it again. And again So simple... yet so horrible.

I stared at those 'zealotish' eyes of hers before making up my mind. There was nothing else to be done or tried...
Lita's demise was horrible to witness and scared my body and mind for life, leaving me barely sane. I hope my sore eyes never have to see worse horror than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas N.
France
Mougins
flag msg tools
Nicely done.

I really think that it is difficult to recover from the second scenario. So in your situation, be able to finish the campaign seems really good (even if it was a bad news for Lita).
First time I tried (with two characters), we died on the last scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly from your write up, sounds like you spawned the old one too soon. Based on these comments:

humbas wrote:

Turns out the ritual had just been triggered by the fast advancing agenda and I was still on Act 1(!)
humbas wrote:

Mythos Phase... One doom token was added to the Agenda.
Some new players miss that you only spawn the Old One AFTER the last agenda advances, not WHEN the last agenda becomes active. If you missed this, it would make the game a LOT harder.
It is still pretty hard... but this only makes it harder.

There is a little sentence on it that says "Forced - when this agenda advances: ".

humbas wrote:
on the third turn I was already dividing my attention between a premature Cover Up draw and nasty cultists with doom tokens upon them.
I wouldn't worry about Cover Up on your last scenario. Mental Trauma doesn't mean much if you are done with the campaign after this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
1984 - Big Brother was watching me.
mbmbmbmbmb
monorico wrote:
Honestly from your write up, sounds like you spawned the old one too soon. Based on these comments:

humbas wrote:

Turns out the ritual had just been triggered by the fast advancing agenda and I was still on Act 1(!)
humbas wrote:

Mythos Phase... One doom token was added to the Agenda.
Some new players miss that you only spawn the Old One AFTER the last agenda advances, not WHEN the last agenda becomes active. If you missed this, it would make the game a LOT harder.

There is a little sentence on it that says "Forced - when this agenda advances: ".

humbas wrote:
on the third turn I was already dividing my attention between a premature Cover Up draw and nasty cultists with doom tokens upon them.
I wouldn't worry about Cover Up on your last scenario. Mental Trauma doesn't mean much if you are done with the campaign after this scenario.
Oh...now I understand your point about advancing the agenda. It was indeed running wild with those pernicious "doomed" cultists and a card whose title I don't remember that adds more doom tokens to cultists in play. That's why it advanced so rapidly, but the Old One should have entered AFTER five more doom tokens were added to it. Yes... I got it wrong and the game got harder!

As for the mental trauma associated with a badly handled Cover Up, I wasn't particularly worried about it, but the thing is that I had terrible draws from the Chaos bag (STD difficulty) while trying to investigate and/or fend off ghouls and cultists.

A moment before drawing the Book of Lore I was like "I'm done... there's nothing I can do to avoid becoming this Old One Chewing gum."

But then I realised there was something I could do... something...evil. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas N.
France
Mougins
flag msg tools
monorico wrote:

It could explain my failures !!

I think the card is not clear in french neither.

Thanks a lot for the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
humbas wrote:

But then I realised there was something I could do... something...evil. devil
ha yes, I do like that ending a lot. Usually all the new players I play with end up choosing to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls