Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm a big Star Trek fan and I already own and love Star Trek Fleet Captains (plus the Romulan Expansion) and Star Trek Frontiers (Which I play solo). Most of time we are two players for all our games.
Now that the Borg are available for Ascendancy, would you recommend me this game just for two player and solitaire sessions? And how is the downtime with just 2 players?

We already own and love Eclipse (it was my number 1-game for years) and Space Empires 4X as 4X-games, but to play something like that in the Star Trek universe is tempting.

As an overview, this is my current Top 10; maybe it'll help to see which type of games I like the most.

#1: Gloomhaven
#2: Star Trek: Frontiers – The Return of Khan
#3: Eclipse
#4: Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire
#5: Terraforming Mars
#6: Space Empires: 4X
#7: Forbidden Stars
#8: Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination
#9: Star Trek: Fleet Captains
#10: Space Alert

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Ascendancy is my favorite game, but I couldn't recommend it for two or solitaire as you will have to use the Borg expansion. The problem is that, except if you bring the Borg in via the exploration mechanic (ie the base game mechanic which requires at least three players), the Borg movement rules don't work. It's a very disappointing expansion.
You could probably house rule it to make it all work, but depends if you can be bothered.
I'd still recommend getting Ascendancy, it's a must buy if you are a Star Trek fan. But don't get it thinking you can play a good game at two with the Borg expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I look at your list, I have to say: this is 200% your game.

The player count of 2 on the other hand is a big problem. This game needs at least 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcial

São Paulo
São Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:
Hi,

I'm a big Star Trek fan and I already own and love Star Trek Fleet Captains (plus the Romulan Expansion) and Star Trek Frontiers (Which I play solo). Most of time we are two players for all our games.
Now that the Borg are available for Ascendancy, would you recommend me this game just for two player and solitaire sessions? And how is the downtime with just 2 players?

We already own and love Eclipse (it was my number 1-game for years) and Space Empires 4X as 4X-games, but to play something like that in the Star Trek universe is tempting.

As an overview, this is my current Top 10; maybe it'll help to see which type of games I like the most.

#1: Gloomhaven
#2: Star Trek: Frontiers – The Return of Khan
#3: Eclipse
#4: Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire
#5: Terraforming Mars
#6: Space Empires: 4X
#7: Forbidden Stars
#8: Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination
#9: Star Trek: Fleet Captains
#10: Space Alert

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I really recommend Star Trek Ascendancy for you with 3 or more, it is my favorite too, but after you play many times you can think to experiment with the Borgs.
Good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth. The game is really at it's best with 4 (or maybe more) players. Many people feel the Borg expansion is broken so if you plan to use it, you should expect to make some house rules and/or use Mattias' rules in the files section.

All that said, if you are a Star Trek fan, I don't think you can find a better Star Trek game than Ascendancy. If you can afford it then I'd say buy it. You can find it at a good price nowadays. I got the base game for between $40 and $50 dollars and every expansion for less than $20 each.

I don't know how it would play out or how unbalanced things would be since there is a lot of randomness in planet and card draws and the dice but you always could pick up an expansion and each of you play two factions. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that if you really LOVE Star Trek then this is a game you shouldn't miss out on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion STA is a great game, provided you like negotiation games and have at least four players (meaning you have to have at least one expansion).

The Borg expansion is completely broken and doesn't work at all as presented. Using the Unofficial Complete Rulebook you will be able to play the Borg both in multiplayer and solo. That said the solo and two player games still don't offer the main attraction that the multiplayer game does (and does very well).w
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Centerville
OH
flag msg tools
I've played a few times 2p with the Borg, we made the movement rules work, I'm not sure where everyone else is having problems?

It's a fun diversion, but not a serious game. The Borg basically choose a direction towards one of the two players at the beginning and just spam them, the other player only hits them with random events. One player ends up as their primary target, though, and either they learn to cope or they don't and get assimilated.

The game really shines with more players, 3 is alright, but 4 (maybe even 5) is where it is more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Litwack
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems like this is a general theme around 4x games anyway. They don't quite fully shine at 2 players. I've been following this thread and will be purchasing based on the star trek theme and this seemingly hitting the 4x notes right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you so far.

Well, I know some 4x games, which work perfectly with 2 players. Space Empires 4X, for example, is a great 2-player game (but I haven't tried it with more players yet). Eclipse was our Number 1 game for years and we played it just with 2 players for 99% of the time and had a blast with it everytime. We did play it with 3 and 4 players occasionally, and that was great, too.

I will think about Ascendancy. I love Star Trek, but if it's not that good with just 2 players, I think I will pass on that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:
Thanks to all of you so far.

Well, I know some 4x games, which work perfectly with 2 players. Space Empires 4X, for example, is a great 2-player game (but I haven't tried it with more players yet). Eclipse was our Number 1 game for years and we played it just with 2 players for 99% of the time and had a blast with it everytime. We did play it with 3 and 4 players occasionally, and that was great, too.

I will think about Ascendancy. I love Star Trek, but if it's not that good with just 2 players, I think I will pass on that game.
If you like Eclipse with 2 players, just go for Ascendancy! I think they are equally good at 2 players. Not as intended but very much playable.

Obviously you are missing the self-balancing group influence but this is a problem of every 4x game (including Eclipse). Like Eclipse, Ascendancy can have a snowball effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. As stated above, it is clearly designed and best played at 3-4 players.

Go for it with 2 pkayers. The game as a whole is well worth it.

My wife and I play it as 2, both with and without the Borg expansion. Clearly there is much more going on if 3 player or 4 player, but it is the best Star Trek experience, so we enjoy it. And because we have learned it together in our 2 player experiences, we are just that much more ready when opportunity strikes at a meetup or convention to play 3-4-5.

If you like Star Trek, this is one game you wont regret getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just saw this, looks like it could be played two players:
https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/03/10/star-trek-alliance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_sten wrote:
This is a completely different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
GeekDadGamer wrote:
mike_sten wrote:
This is a completely different game.
Yeah I know, you're right ... figured it couldn't hurt to share though ... for some reason Marcel's post came to mind reading the article, seeing that he likes Star Trek and that he'd be able to play this 2 players (possibly even solitaire) ... though it does not sound to have any 4x elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike, I will definitely keep an eye on that one.

Edit: And, of course, thanks to all the other replies! For now, I have decided, that I will not go for Ascendancy (after buying and loving Renegade) But maybe, in the future. I'll keep Ascendancy in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:
Thank you Mike, I will definitely keep an eye on that one.
Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls