Hide
9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How to counter the runemaster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Alstad-Kontio
msg tools
In quests where I don't have reinforcements(like monsters hoarde), and in general, I have huge trouble with the runemaster.
Problem is in many quests, the rune master single handedly destroys entire monster groups before I can act.
This is before the runemaster has any act II items.
For example, in Monsters Hoarde act II, this happened:

1. I place shadow dragons as far away the heroes and LOS as I could
2. Syndrael used his heroic feat on the runemaster ("You and a hero may immideatley perform a move action"). The runemaster moves forward to my shadow dragons.
3. The runemaster(Widow Tarha) use her heroic feat, allowing her to target 2 monsters (being both dragons).
4. The runemaster use a second attack, then use "Quick casting"
5. The runemaster use a THIRD attack

The runemaster has "The shadow rune" artifact, Runic Knowledge, Exploding rune, mana weave so for each of these attacks he got:
- 1 blue die
- 2 yellow die
- a lot of surges, never miss (widow tarha can reroll, and she has mana weave)
- a total whopping +5 damage using 2 surges

End result: Widow Tarha killed both act II shadow dragons before they could act. And due to the shadow rune, she regain most fatigue used
Had I chosen cave spiders instead, she could still have killed 4 of them(and regained all fatigue)

The other 3 heroes spent fatigue to move and was able to kill one elemental in the other room.
So, even before its my turn, I have only 1 elemental left, of all my open groups. And no reinforcement.

How to counter the runemaster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah just sounds like they're snowballing the game out of control. A great change to this game woulda been that you can't fatigue move on the first round of the encounter. The overlord has to just sit there and take a beating for the whole first hero phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is not a good situation.
My only advice is to place your monster in such a way that they are behind doors. That way the heroes have to use an action to open the door first. Then maybe try to get Overlord Cards that you can use to punish the heroes. Lots of traps possibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
I do not have a solution to your dilemma. Here are some probably not very helpful suggestions.

For a second encounter of a quest try to save a Tripwire or Web Trap Overlord card in your hand to use against Widow Tarha.

Try to setup the shadow dragons so that to attack one you do not have LOS to the other.

If you could make it so that Widow Tarha would have to be adjacent to one shadow dragon in order to attack both of them she would at least have to use a surge to attack if she wanted to hit both.

Alayim wrote:
- a lot of surges, never miss
I assume by “never miss” that you just meant that she did not miss, not that she couldn’t miss, correct?

Alayim wrote:
- a total whopping +5 damage using 2 surges
I am probably missing something but how is she getting +5 damage with 2 surges? I can see getting +4 if she also spent one fatigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Alstad-Kontio
msg tools
Quote:
I assume by “never miss” that you just meant that she did not miss, not that she couldn’t miss, correct?
A bit of an overstatement - she CAN miss, but so far in the campaign, she has not had a miss, because she can reroll once every round. And so far, she hasnt rolled miss twice in a row.

Quote:
I am probably missing something but how is she getting +5 damage with 2 surges? I can see getting +4 if she also spent one fatigue.
You're right Jeff, 3 surges are needed for +5 damage.
shadow rune: (surge): +2 damage,(surge): +1 range + 1 damage
Runic knowledge: (surge) +2 damage
Having 2 yellows, a blue, and mana weave, it frequently allows for that though. Also, if she hasnt used her reroll when at her 3rd attack, she can use the reroll on a yellow to gain more surges.

Quote:
Try to setup the shadow dragons so that to attack one you do not have LOS to the other.
I considered that, but that would mean putting one shadow dragon right in front of the heroes. Then Syndrael wouldn't need to burn his heroic feat.

Quote:
For a second encounter of a quest try to save a Tripwire or Web Trap Overlord card in your hand to use against Widow Tarha.
Actually, I did I saved all trap-cards for the second encounter.
I had 2 web traps, 2 tripwire, and pit trap.
They passed all skill-checks, except 1 tripwire cry
That is another thing though - Personally I feel trap cards are worthless, becuause I am extremely unlucky. Even on skillchecks where the heroes have only 1 or 2 for the skillcheck, they pass more often than not. If I am to guess the ratio of success for my trap cards, I would think about 20% of the traps used during the entire campaign managed to trap a hero. The other players use to joke about my luck regarding skill-checks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also aren't there some Overlord cards that will penalise heroes from using charges? The Scourge at least does penalise the use of fatigue. The Soulbinder deck is also very good for Overlord for many other effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Viviani
msg tools
mb
We had the same problem during Heirs of Blood, so for Nerekhall our solution was to try alternate turns, just like in IA or the app.
No more Heroes obliterating every monster in range before the OL could even move a single miniature and so far (2nd ACT 2 quest) everyone is enjoying the campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Alstad-Kontio
msg tools
I thought I'd just mention, I won the finale!
The heroes had won every quest from start to finish, but they got a false sense of security in the finale - "Gryvorn unleashed".

In the first encounter, they spent a lot of time on search token, allowing me to save up a hoarde of OL-cards for encounter 2.
As soon as they started, I trapped their runemaster.
Then I used Dark Charm, to move one of the heroes closer to Gryvorn. Thanks to firebreath, I could also affect the runemaster in addition to the necromancer.
I used Frenzy, Critical Blow, Expert Blow, Dark Might, and managed to down both the necormancer and runemaster in one go. And in the finale, there is no standup/ressuresction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Watford
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alayim wrote:
I thought I'd just mention, I won the finale!
The heroes had won every quest from start to finish, but they got a false sense of security in the finale - "Gryvorn unleashed".

In the first encounter, they spent a lot of time on search token, allowing me to save up a hoarde of OL-cards for encounter 2.
As soon as they started, I trapped their runemaster.
Then I used Dark Charm, to move one of the heroes closer to Gryvorn. Thanks to firebreath, I could also affect the runemaster in addition to the necromancer.
I used Frenzy, Critical Blow, Expert Blow, Dark Might, and managed to down both the necormancer and runemaster in one go. And in the finale, there is no standup/ressuresction!
I would have loved to have seen the looks on their faces.

I would have popped off so hard, like I wouldn't have friends after that.

Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls