Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I've proably already asked other times, maybe not here, but I'm really curious about Nuts!.

I used to play Warhammer 40k years ago but I don't really like competition and I learned that this system would let me play solo and coop! Great

I've read a review or two but no gameplay video if there are: how is it played? Enemy models are already there and move around using some AI?
Or do enemy models "spawns" when certain condition are met?

I don't want to play both sides at the best of my ability, I'm looking for a ruleset that play the enemy against wich I'm facing.
Does this game offer some fun engagements? Some believable responses from the AI?

Thank you for any info!

P.S. = I'm also open to other suggestions if you believe there are better systems out there.

P.P.S. = I've seen there is also 5150 that should be similar (or same game) but scifi.
Is it the same game with a different theme?
Is there something about present times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game maybe 5+years ago, then an expansion 1-2 years ago.

Tried to understand the rules 2-3 times, just to see what I need in terms of terrain and miniatures to actually play, and have some idea how the game actually works, but just could not wrap my head around any of it. I rarely watch videos and never learned much from one, but for this game it might actually be useful just to have any clue about how to set the game up and how the rules fit together.

The AI looks pretty simple. If I understand correctly the AI is a bit vague and probably leaves some decisions to the player here and there, but it is not about playing both sides. I do not think enemy soldiers typically being on the map, but there are encounters you run into and then randomly activated groups of enemy soldiers that spawn and then use some tables to decide what to do each time they have an opportunity to do something. If I remember correctly from the parts I managed to decrypt.

(Mods might want to move this thread into the game-specific forum?)

EDIT: Oh, I saw now you linked to a 4th edition from 2017. I think mine is 3rd edition or even 2nd edition. I did not notice they published newer versions. So the rules have hopefully been clarified now and most of what I said might no longer apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have these rules but not done much with them yet myself.

However, I hear that the designer is a very helpful and decent chap, so perhaps he won't mind if you contact him direct to ask him?

Ed Teixeira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try checking out The Miniatures Page website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The module I have is Blood Upon The Risers: D-Day. It looks like a lot of fun with a branching 10 scenarios campaign (looks like you will play through from 3 to 9 of the scenarios in an actual campaign, because of how they are linked) and many tables for generating random encounters and stuff. The setup of the first scenario seems manageable (create a Star, set up terrain according to map, roll for random starting position, place a few random encounter markers ("PEFs") and some AAA+crew). First scenario is about trying to trigger random reinforcements to build a squad and then get off the map in one of two possible directions (that will then lead you to scenario 2 or 3 respectively in the campaign).

Looking a bit closer at the AI tables (or "NP" for No Player) they are a bit vague, but at least they make all the higher-level decisions for each enemy squad, like instructing them to seek cover, or to split up so that one half can provide cover why the other half tries to flank the player squad (rolling to decide if the try to flank left or right). Because of the lack of grid and the scenarios not being scripted it is difficult to imagine the instructions being more precise than that of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!

I don't want to bother the designer directly if I can find infos another way

I thought about putting this topic in the game specific forum but it's rather dead there

Yes, I can understand why instructions are a bit vague, but in this case I just have to "optimize" what the AI wants to do, the decision about WHAT to do it's still its.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - So It Is
badge
Severance - Ling Ma
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish86 wrote:
I thought about putting this topic in the game specific forum but it's rather dead there
If everyone who's interested does the same, it will remain dead. Each new thread will appear on the BGG front page, however briefly, and with a million eyeballs it might spark some interest. But somebody has to start the ball rolling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Download from THW website the free rules which Nuts are based on; Chain Reaction 2015. They will give you an idea how they work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris de C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The latest version, Chain Reaction 2018, is available on their website. They also have Swordplay 2018 for free which is the fantasy version. I think the 2018 versions feature the same rules as Nuts 4th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time, when I'll undoubtedly ask questions about rules, I'm going to open a topic in the specific forum and let the ball roll

Is this a sort of demo?
Do you know what's the difference between Chain Reaction and Nuts! ??

Thanks again guys, valid advices

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are foram/blogs about converting 40k over to 5150 (the SF version of the rules).

For Example;
http://miksminis.blogspot.com/2010/11/un40k-game-of-5150.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How nice, thank you!
I have various wh40k minis lying around, it could be useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Here is their current forum:

http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/index.php

I was a member of the old Yahoo group but never followed when they moved to the forum. Ed was very responsive to questions about the rules on the old group, I cannot imagine he is any less on the forums.

We had some fun with the THW rules, though we probably played more All Things Zombie than Nuts! in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll also dig a bit into that forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ro nan
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
badinfo wrote:
Here is their current forum:

http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/index.php

I was a member of the old Yahoo group but never followed when they moved to the forum. Ed was very responsive to questions about the rules on the old group, I cannot imagine he is any less on the forums.

We had some fun with the THW rules, (...)

I agree
I mainly used Nuts to play solo ( see here for some AARs :
http://2d6.fr/?tag=thw )
I liked it and I'm often thinking to play again..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to those sites, why not check out Grogheads.com?

Here: http://grogheads.com/aars/20051

This is a AAR of a game of Nuts 4th edition, and the writer used Table Top simulator for the game.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for these last additions!

I've just begun reading Chain Reaction free ruleset, to better understand the underlying mechanics.
Those AAR will be useful examples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls