Pavel Duba
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi guys and gals,
I want to ask if you use this overlay when playing 4 players game with vassals, as I am unable to find it in the rulesbook. Thanks in advance for any meaningful answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khadgar120 wrote:
Hi guys and gals,
I want to ask if you use this overlay when playing 4 players game with vassals, as I am unable to find it in the rulesbook. Thanks in advance for any meaningful answer
No, you shouldn't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Duba
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thank you well we did use it the other day, good to know that we shouldn't do it next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilco B
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why shouldn't you use it?

Enter quoteception from another thread two days ago;

deranger wrote:
Quoting u/Dokurushi from this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/AGOTBoardGame/comments/amy97r/kings...

"Well, the MoD rulebook says:

'When playing with this expansion, replace all of the setup instructions found on page 4 of the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game rulebook with the setup instructions presented here.'

But the instructions for playing with fewer than 6 players, including the rule about the King's Court overlay, are on page 26.

This suggest the overlay is still used in 3-4 player games of Mother of Dragons.

It makes sense, because vassals do not require special orders and will typically not have them. The overlay simply balanced the amount of available special orders between player factions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Straetemans
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except Vassals take up player spots and Targaryan can put Vassals in front of players. Unless no one wants to play with the Dragons. Maybe in that case add the overlay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d s
Canada
flag msg tools
Targ would have to spend quite a few more tokens to put vassals in front of players, and I think keeping that as a feasible option, rare as it will happen, is the idea I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fajeth Fajethsson
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no, a single token can be enough in the right circumstances (recent wildlingsattack/bidding in the last round)

Also if you play with 3 or even 4 vasalls it is quite likely. No need for the overlay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d s
Canada
flag msg tools
If the wildlings attack targ would have also had to spend their tokens on that and might be better off going for that reward. Targ has to spend more tokens than other houses for no direct personal benefit to put vassals in front of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Straetemans
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game we had 4 players and 4 vassals. We used the overlay and it was hardly noticable. I should add that the Targ player was not attacked by the other players during the sessions (Martel went west because targ build up a large fleet on the southern part of Essos. Stark went south and Lannister was busy fighting off the Greyjoy vassal).

Targ is capable of farming 4 power tokens every token (up to 6 if she doesn't wants/needs to muster) and thats usually more than the other houses. She also doesn't always care who ends up on top unless in this instance Martell wants to be a pain to her. I guess thats a 2nd reason why he went west so he wouldn't be punished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
Poolmow wrote:

deranger wrote:
Quoting u/Dokurushi from this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/AGOTBoardGame/comments/amy97r/kings...

'When playing with this expansion, replace all of the setup instructions found on page 4 of the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game rulebook with the setup instructions presented here.'

But the instructions for playing with fewer than 6 players, including the rule about the King's Court overlay, are on page 26.

This suggest the overlay is still used in 3-4 player games of Mother of Dragons.

It makes sense, because vassals do not require special orders and will typically not have them. The overlay simply balanced the amount of available special orders between player factions."
And as I suspected, you are NOT supposed to use the overlay in MoD. From new FAQ:
"Q: When playing the Mother of Dragons expansion with three
or four players, is the King’s Court overlay used?
A: No. The King’s Court overlay is not used when playing
with vassals, regardless of the number of players."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Frode789 wrote:
Poolmow wrote:

deranger wrote:

And as I suspected, you are NOT supposed to use the overlay in MoD. From new FAQ:
"Q: When playing the Mother of Dragons expansion with three
or four players, is the King’s Court overlay used?
A: No. The King’s Court overlay is not used when playing
with vassals, regardless of the number of players."
Just the answer I was looking for, mate. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls