Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Klos
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yesterday I was playing Masochist for the first time and I won.
But due to my move in last turn I was left unsure of something...
Here is my question:

If all I have is <= 4 ships and send them to i.e. support someone, or attack someone, what to do when they survive?
They left all my home planets and rules states those cannot be colonized by me unless by Encounter card. I have no colonies outside my solar system as I left them also... where do my ships go?
Do I automatically lose them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference: Masochist power is "You have the power to Hurt Yourself. At the start of any player's regroup phase, before the offense retrieves a ship from the warp, use this power to win the game if you have lost all of your ships. Lost ships include those in the warp, those removed from the game, and those captured by other players.
You do not lose this power because of having too few home colonies, and you may still win the game via the normal manner."

So, you cannot win the game until the next player's regroup phase, which means after sending out your final four ships, you still need to resolve that encounter before seeing if you win or not.

If your ships survived by winning an encounter with you as the main player, then you colonize a opponent's planet and you cannot win (yet) through the alternate win condition because your ships are not lost.

Similarly, if you allied with the attacking player and WON, your ships also colonize and are not lost.

Your ships can be sent "back home" if they were allied with either the main offensive or defensive player and both main players played Negotiation. They are not lost in this case, either.

If you either lost as the main player, or lost as an ally of the main offensive or defensive player, then your final four ships go to the Warp. Assuming all of your other 16 ships are also lost (in the warp, removed from the game, or captured by other players) then you win via the Masochist's alternate win condition at the start of the next player's regroup phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BriBriSlat wrote:

Your ships can be sent "back home" if they were allied with either the main offensive or defensive player and both main players played Negotiation. They are not lost in this case, either.
Also returned as successful defensive allies.

The question is really "where do the go if they can't go home?"

Most likely answer is to the warp. Matches the FAQ on Mobius Tubes.

Never invite a (near win) Masochist as a defensive an ally - unless you have a very cunning plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hundertfrank
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When ships have nowhere to go, they go to the warp. If you won as or with the offense, you have to land on the targeted planet. Otherwise, if your send ships survive and have to return to colonies, which you don't have, they go to the warp.

A different situation, but you might not know this, either: When you have all your ships in the warp as the offense, you retrieve a ship in the regroup phase and put it directly onto the hyperspace gate. In this case the ship has a place to got to. But Masochist would win in this scenario nevertheless, because its power triggers first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olotka
United States
Centerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Masochist only hurts for a little while. But that's a good thing right?

Does everyone know about the first annual Cosmic Encounter Galactic Championship Tournament? It's happening at the Museum of Science Fiction's Escape Velocity Con. We Cosmic designers will all be there to join in the gaming and to autograph your Cosmic games. Here are the details: http://bit.ly/cechamp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls