Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NATURE TOTEMS

While exploring the vast lands of Iwari, the tribes will build totems as a bonding element with mother nature.

As with tents, players are able to place a single totem for each card played in the territory based on the color of the card. It is very important to keep in mind that only a maximum of 2 pieces can be placed in a single territory per turn.

There is a limit of totems that can be placed in a territory that is based on how many tents the tribe with the majority of them has in that territory.

PLACEMENT EXAMPLE

In this example, the blue tribe has the majority of tents with a total of 3, that means that a maximum of 3 totems can be placed in that territory.

On a future turn if blue places another tent in the territory, the limit for the number of totems that can be placed in that territory will increase to 4, allowing the blue player to strategically place a totem during the same turn; the turn will end immediately after since the blue player placed two pieces.

SCORING

On the map of Iwari there are several connections between territories marked from 1 to 19. At the end of the game, all the connections starting from 1 will score.

To score with the totems, players will need to have the majority of totems, even shared, in each of the connected territories. Having the majority in just one of the two connected territories won’t grant points to the players.

When the player with the majority of totems is defined they will receive 1 point for each totem, in the two connected territories, even if these are from other players.

SCORING EXAMPLE

In this example, we are scoring connection #9. On the blue territory both yellow and blue have the majority, while on the red territory, only yellow has the majority.
Since yellow holds majority in both territories, the player will score 1 point per totem that belongs to the connection regardless of color, In this case, equals to 5 points. Blue won’t score points because he just has the majority in one of the two connected territories.

This covers up the basics of the game, but next week, we will be revealing the rulebook and you will be able to try the game online!

Visit our teaser site to discover Iwari and get a promo if you subscribe: https://thundergryph.com/discover-our-newest-title-iwari/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonzalo, I think there is an error in the board. What is the point of connection 19? The blue and red territories are already adjacent and scored in connection 9, which you used as your example. Shouldn't connection 19 link to the yellow territory instead of the blue one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Gonzalo, I think there is an error in the board. What is the point of connection 19? The blue and red territories are already adjacent and scored in connection 9, which you used as your example. Shouldn't connection 19 link to the yellow territory instead of the blue one?
Hello Gláucio! Looks like a mockup mistake, sorry! Should be yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the digital mockups were made using the actual board art. Please just make sure that it's fixed before the game goes into production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool game pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
GSReis wrote:
I assume the digital mockups were made using the actual board art. Please just make sure that it's fixed before the game goes into production.
On their discord the full map that is posted shows this error too - the red area is connected to the blue instead of the yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
rilos wrote:
GSReis wrote:
On their discord the full map that is posted shows this error too - the red area is connected to the blue instead of the yellow.
Those totems sure look fantastic. My only thought is those tips protruding from the green totems in particular look like they may be prone to breaking depending on the material, but they sure look wonderful. I love how each totem has a different look to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
GSReis wrote:
A mock up is just that. It's anything but a final version. It's before a prototype is even made, which is before a production version is even made. Was too early to worry over. They know, so all is good. Besides, this early in the game we're likely to see many things change before before the final version anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Braffe wrote:
rilos wrote:
GSReis wrote:
A mock up is just that. It's anything but a final version. It's before a prototype is even made, which is before a production version is even made. Was too early to worry over. They know, so all is good. Besides, this early in the game we're likely to see many things change before before the final version anyways.
Fair enough. I didn't think it would hurt to highlight the issue early on before it gets overlooked but the intention was not to "beat a dead horse", so all is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is fine,the wood components too, but the totems, although having pretty engravings, look very banal and a thousand times already seen considering the quantity of totems produced by the natives, it would be nice to have something more authentic and less stereotypical, as it is, these totems brings a cartoonish feeling that far away from the beautiful maturity of artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metadna wrote:
The artwork is fine,the wood components too, but the totems, although having pretty engravings, look very banal and a thousand times already seen considering the quantity of totems produced by the natives, it would be nice to have something more authentic and less stereotypical, as it is, these totems brings a cartoonish feeling that far away from the beautiful maturity of artwork.
The totems are fine, too, and I hope they are not changed. This is not a historical setting. It's loosely based on indigenous American peoples, but ultimately Fantasy. And I don't think they feel cartoonish at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metadna wrote:
It is quite complex to realize a mockup that looks identical to the physical product we have in mind. We will put a lot of attention to the final look of the totems because our intention is to make them look much different than plastic.

As Gláucio stated, Iwari is a fantasy game with evocative elements of indigenous tribes without any attachment to one in particular.
The totems represent traits of mother nature which are metaphorically represented by the Titans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Personally, I like the look of the totems, and the colors do look nice I will admit, putting aside concerns about any confusion caused by the colors being too similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoul wrote:
Metadna wrote:
It is quite complex to realize a mockup that looks identical to the physical product we have in mind. We will put a lot of attention to the final look of the totems because our intention is to make them look much different than plastic.

As Gláucio stated, Iwari is a fantasy game with evocative elements of indigenous tribes without any attachment to one in particular.
The totems represent traits of mother nature which are metaphorically represented by the Titans.
I don't call for a historically close representation, I mean that there is no shortage of totem pole shapes among the natives, that it would be good to be deeper inspired by the "source of inspiration" to see something other than a trunk with wings for example.
Also knowing kardinal & konig I doubt that children are the main target of this kind of game, as an adult and i guess part of the main target, I would like these components to be a more mature in its esthetic treatment like the cards, the board and the general artwork which are very well on this subject, but again the current totems are too much children/catoonish (currently they would look good with a game about Yakari or Pocahontas for example) I also understand that the oversized diameter of the trunks helps to keep the stack stable but the disproportionate aesthetics of the small protuberances further breaks the general harmony, an option to have "totem" sticks with elemental figurine heads planted on the totem wooden bases with holes placed on totem' locations, (as does an ancient Egyptians' board game https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeux_dans_l%27Égypte_antique#/media/File:Game_of_Hounds_and_Jackals_MET_DP264105.jpg)quick exemple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Schutz
Netherlands
De Meern
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metadna wrote:
as an adult and i guess part of the main target, I would like these components to be a more mature in its esthetic treatment like the cards, the board and the general artwork which are very well on this subject, but again the current totems are too much children/catoonish
Of course, you can;t argue about taste. But I just want to say i wholeheartedly disagree with you. Especially on the appearent disconnect you see between the cards/board and the totems. The way you describe is like it's a picasso with kinderegg toys, I really, really disagree.

Metadna wrote:
an option to have "totem" sticks with elemental figurine heads planted on the totem wooden bases with holes placed on totem' locations, (as does an ancient Egyptians' board game https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeux_dans_l%27Égypte_antique#/media/File:Game_of_Hounds_and_Jackals_MET_DP264105.jpg

Again, taste is a personal preference, but that, to me, would be a reason not to but this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a gameplay utility about the totems:

- They are very easy to read. They are consistent with our colorless approach.
- Having the totems with a similar look in terms of the basic structure makes the information flow better during the game without having to pay too much attention to each different component.

Regarding the execution, we have our minds at peace because production wise is not something that needs many iterations and that will allow us to do a faster pre-production process.

We have spent a year playing with different concepts and we feel this is exactly what we wanted for the game. We still appreciate a lot your feedback and the creative ways you come up with different executions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Omnius
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... my goal was to input a constructive feedback, rest assured that i really appreciate your games
I must also say that this is a general tendancy of the gaming industry which still tends to infantilize board games while many of the board games are nowadays played mostly by adults.

Finger crossed for a Shaman-sticks version/add-on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the totems, I don't find them infantile at all. then again I play Reef with kids and I like the chunky coral pieces. I mean we play board games...many "adults" might think we are the infants for still playing games that often have tiny tokens and miniatures.

it's also very smart they did not make anything too close to any one Tribe because you know how sensitive that issue is, and there'd be a lot of criticism for any inaccuracies. I am still laughing about the Native board game set in the "majestic mountains of Manitoba" designed by some designers who don't care at all whether there actually are mountains in Manitoba or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metadna wrote:
I must also say that this is a general tendancy of the gaming industry which still tends to infantilize board games while many of the board games are nowadays played mostly by adults.
I can relate to that. There is an annoying trend toward childish cartoony art, particularly in Fantasy-themed games. Here is not the place to discuss it, but the topic deserves its own thread in the General Gaming forum. I just don't think Iwari is a good example of this trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I wouldn't call those totems cartoony at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Semifero
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The totems are great, and I want 13 of each color to use with Spirit Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls