BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Soundtrack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jax
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone here listen to any music while playing boardgames? I'm looking for some music to set the right ambiance next time I play Sub Terra or Dice Throne with my family. I know they're two very different games, but we play them the most often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Too distracting. I prefer to hear the other players talk.

Pete (supposes that'll be the unpopular position, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always. But played at a low, background, volume. Often I'll pick a thematic seed, but just as often simply ambient/chill. In my younger days it was semi-loud prog rock and/or metal, but that's a bit much these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Notyou
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisibro wrote:
Does anyone here listen to any music while playing boardgames? I'm looking for some music to set the right ambiance next time I play Sub Terra or Dice Throne with my family. I know they're two very different games, but we play them the most often
There are a whole slew of post-rock, down-tempo and ambient bands that could be played low for ambiance.

Usually I do not have music for any games requiring concentration or discussion. I prefer others do not as well, but their place their rules (within reason). However, for light games and party game get-togethers, sure I will put music on just loud enough for people to not start raising their voices trying to speak over it. Music or no, any of it is better than going somewhere with the TV blaring in the background.angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out Melodice. There's a bunch of playlists for various games there - they don't have one for Dice Throne yet, but there is one for Sub Terra. And many other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like to play thematic music while playing board games. We use Amazon Prime Music, and if you have Amazon Prime, there is an official Dungeon and Dragons Soundtrack through Amazon Prime that works quite well for all fantasy games. Regarding Sub Terra, I believe that Amazon Prime Music features an album entitled Cave Sounds. If you do not have Amazon Prime Music, this post may not be of much use to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jax
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
asutbone wrote:
You should check out Melodice. There's a bunch of playlists for various games there - they don't have one for Dice Throne yet, but there is one for Sub Terra. And many other games.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gottardi
Italy
Lavis
Trento
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisibro wrote:
Hard to tell: sometimes I like music in the background, more often I like to turn off TV and music in order to chat with other players or just to concentrate better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Both are definitely possible at the same time!

We don't necessarily 'listen' to music while playing. But almost always will have some sort of background ambience. Whether it's thematic music, or even a relevant movie. The latter more often when it's a bigger gathering with only some playing the games.

The ambience is never so loud that you can't hear the players. But hearing some classic JRPG music while attacking someone in Arcadia Quest definitely adds to the experience.

As does having the soundtrack on while playing The Godfather: Corleone's Empire.

Every western game day needs a Sergio Leone OST playlist whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - So It Is
badge
Severance - Ling Ma
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisibro wrote:
Does anyone here listen to any music while playing boardgames?
Click on the tag I just added - "name_that_tune". It leads to dozens of threads with suggestions for music that people enjoy while gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group at times played the Star Wars soundtrack while playing the RPG Star Wars Saga. We also play the Game of Thrones soundtrack while playing A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). Other times it is just random punk rock music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No music with lyrics & a volume just above barely above audible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into ambience and/or light music, Tabletop Audio (www.tabletopaudio.com) is a good one. It can be played in the background too which is helpful. I like Melodice, but streaming YouTube is a battery kill, and I can't temporarily exit to answer a text or check rules or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
If you're into ambience and/or light music, Tabletop Audio (www.tabletopaudio.com) is a good one. It can be played in the background too which is helpful. I like Melodice, but streaming YouTube is a battery kill, and I can't temporarily exit to answer a text or check rules or anything.
Yes, Melodice is my back-up due to it sourcing from youtube.

First call is a decent Spotify playlist. If your google-fu is decent, you can usually find something suitable for any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always, I like to have a background soundtrack at low volume while playing. There are several terrific board game playlists to be found on Spotify, I also add to my own little "board game library" whenever I stumble upon a good song/track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My music preference tends to be tied to party game vs. non-party game as some have mentioned here, but I don't think that relationship is causal. I actually think it comes down to whether or not we are drinking while playing. If I am drinking and playing games, then I want music (quietly in the background). Of course, if we are drinking, then we are more likely to be playing party games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gohrbandt
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer some sort of background music, ideally sonething thematic, and not too obtrusive. This tends to rule out soundtracks, which usually include exciting or louder parts. Recently, I‘ve been using Syrinscape, which offers pretty cool background soundscapes, specifically designed not to interrupt gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

You can do both!

Pete (turns the volume down)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venom Snake wrote:
Always, I like to have a background soundtrack at low volume while playing. There are several terrific soundtracks to be found on Spotify, I also add to my own little "board game library" whenever I stumble upon a good song/track.
This is what I was going to say.

It is amazing how much you can find on Spotify for specific games. The user created playlists are abundant.

Not to mention that my wife and I have created our own for many of the games in our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerpete67 wrote:
Venom Snake wrote:
Always, I like to have a background soundtrack at low volume while playing. There are several terrific soundtracks to be found on Spotify, I also add to my own little "board game library" whenever I stumble upon a good song/track.

It is amazing how much you can find on Spotify for specific games. The user created playlists are abundant.

Not to mention that my wife and I have created our own for many of the games in our collection.
We don't create many. But we do have an Arcadia Quest one which is made up of many Anime and JRPG soundtracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Covington
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it depends on the group and location. If it's just me and the wife at home or on vacation with friends we'll play whatever we feel like listening to. (Even stuff with words.) I have another group that does do thematic music based on the game, but that's generally the choice of the host and even then we haven't always had it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Never. Too distracting, and it discourages conversation imo. That's why including music in Kickstarters as a stretch goal means nothing to me.

If I were to try it, it would be thematic, barely audible, with no lyrics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Bono
Italy
Rivalta di Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always, we have always a background, Boardgame, Role Playing Game or Wargames, the music is fondamental part of the game.
Not loud, but just a background to make the ambience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerpete67 wrote:
Venom Snake wrote:

And the choices keep growing and growing by the looks of it, it's great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls