Gizmos» Forums » General

Subject: Gizmos or Everdell for children? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Habr
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I can't decide. I want a game, thats simple to learn for my daughters 10 and 12. What do you recomend and why? Can someone compare both games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizmos is much more straightforward and easy to teach and learn. There are only 4 base actions of which you will perform one each turn and then check for any chain reactions from the action you performed.

Everdell requires reading and understanding how each card works as well as understanding worker placement.

I would think 12-14 year olds could handle either game, but Gizmos would be much simpler to start with. It's also shorter than Everdell, so if attention span is an issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mansfield Center
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have and play Gizmos with my 8 year old. It's a big hit. She and I saw Everdell demoed and she lost interest in the demo about 5 min in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Habr
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mac03579 wrote:
We have and play Gizmos with my 8 year old. It's a big hit. She and I saw Everdell demoed and she lost interest in the demo about 5 min in.
So you suggest Gizmos over Everdell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be honest I've tried neither with my 8 year old. She has loved Machi Koro, Sushi Go Party and 5-Minute Marvel (as well as Pandemic and My Little Scythe)...

What have your kids played (and liked) before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Habr
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
I have to be honest I've tried neither with my 8 year old. She has loved Machi Koro, Sushi Go Party and 5-Minute Marvel (as well as Pandemic and My Little Scythe)...

Stone Age, Ticket To Ride,Kingdomino, Clank, Catan, Pandemic, Azul, Takenoko, Isle of Skye, Splendor etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Habrik wrote:
invervegas wrote:

Stone Age, Ticket To Ride,Kingdomino, Clank, Catan, Pandemic, Azul, Takenoko, Isle of Skye, Splendor etc...
Well, if they play these games they can probably handle Everdell, but you know what your children enjoy better than us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Habr
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Bruff
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Habrik wrote:
invervegas wrote:

Well, if they play these games they can probably handle Everdell, but you know what your children enjoy better than us.
Ditto! That list of games looks a lot like the list of games I play with my 11-year-old daughter. I bet yours would enjoy Everdell. It's longer and more involved than Gizmos, so it might come down to whether or not you think you'll play a 90-minute game (Everdell) often enough. Gizmos runs closer to 30-45 minutes, I think. I find myself playing shorter games with the kids a lot more than longer ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Everdell's adorable theme belies it's bad accessibility. It is a very difficult game to play until you've learned the cards and most of the veteran gamers I've shown it to, found it to be cognitively overwhelming.

On your turn, you have to consider up to 8 cards in your hand, another 8 on the meadow, then consider all of the cards they combo with an their costs... It's slightly ridiculous to be honest and not a well thought out design. The game also doesn't play well with more than and bizarrely needs house ruled to work with less than that count.

... I guess I'm selling my kickstarter edition if you're interested but I would advise against for kids.... despite that theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeak 'n' Squawk
United States
flag msg tools
Millet, you say? Where?
badge
A pistachio would be nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris3y wrote:
The game also doesn't play well with more than and bizarrely needs house ruled to work with less than that count.
More than....how many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kerwin
United States
Grosse Pointe Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris3y wrote:
Everdell's adorable theme belies it's bad accessibility. It is a very difficult game to play until you've learned the cards and most of the veteran gamers I've shown it to, found it to be cognitively overwhelming.

On your turn, you have to consider up to 8 cards in your hand, another 8 on the meadow, then consider all of the cards they combo with an their costs... It's slightly ridiculous to be honest and not a well thought out design. The game also doesn't play well with more than and bizarrely needs house ruled to work with less than that count.

... I guess I'm selling my kickstarter edition if you're interested but I would advise against for kids.... despite that theme.
Seeing that you gave it a 3/10 and I rated it 8/10 I’ll offer a counter thought on this.

1. Everdell, while it has a kid-friendly theme, is not for little kids. (It’s rated as 13+) But a savvy 10 year old can absolutely handle it.

2. YES, like any game, there is a learning curve as there are over 128 cards in the deck and they have combo effects similar to that found in Magic the Gathering. (So if your kids plays MTG or Pokemon they will feel right at home). NOTE: See the Everdell files section for my “beginner variant” for an easier transition into the game.

3. It’s basic worker placement, tableau/city building, and card management. It’s a medium weight game (or light+ as some have described it). It’s no more complicated than lords of Waterdeep, 7 wonders, or Viticulture EE in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls