Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 20 games of Spirit Island and I am starting to combine adversaries with scenarios. The other day I played Level 1 France + the Dahan Insurrection scenario and it’s the most fun I have had with this game yet. In the first game I used Thunderspeaker + River Surges in Sunlight and got absolutely crushed. In the 2nd game I was Thunderspeaker + Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares and won in the round before the 2nd stage 3 card was explored. (note I played with all elements from the Branch and Claw expansion but used a variant rule where the negative aspect of the first event doesn’t apply).

With this adversary + scenario combo I love how the scenario creates problems with the additional loss condition with France. The scenario states that any time a city is destroyed, place a town in the closest space with dahan; whenever a town is destroyed, place an explorer in the closest space with dahan. Meanwhile, France has an added loss condition where if ever you have to place an 8th town on the board (meaning 7 are already on the board) you lose. The invades were like weeds you could never contain. The town placement after a city is destroyed, the escalation effect where towns are often placed during stage 2 of the invasion, and the fact that often when exploring France is placing 2 explorers when exploring, all made for a situation that could get out of hand in no time. In my first game I was 1 or 2 cards into stage 2 and thought things were going well. I only had 3 towns on the board and thought I was restricting building fairly well. Within 1 round later, I lost due to placing my 8th town.

Anyway, this was a blast and I was wondering: Are there any Adversaries + Scenario combos you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, that looks like a fun combo. You are actively discouraged from destroying cities unless you have a whole lot of breathing room with towns. It would seem to push for a Terror IV victory because getting rid of all the cities will be difficult... but you can't have a Terror IV victory with this scenario! Sounds pretty brutal.

I haven't played a lot of scenarios, but I really enjoyed Second Wave on the thematic boards. We played with Brandenburg-Prussia, so the extra starting towns from later waves synergized well with the "do everything everywhere" strategy that BP uses. Having a map with recognizable regions that each have a story fits so well with the long term saga that Second Wave creates. I can point to different lands and say "that's where we got more and more blight stacked up every game, and those are the wetlands where they assaulted all 5 of River's sacred sites at once, and that's the mountain that we just couldn't keep them out of... It's a blast and I look forward to trying it again, especially combined with a certain scenario coming in Jagged Earth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorkenpeist wrote:
Ooh, that looks like a fun combo. You are actively discouraged from destroying cities unless you have a whole lot of breathing room with towns. It would seem to push for a Terror IV victory because getting rid of all the cities will be difficult... but you can't have a Terror IV victory with this scenario! Sounds pretty brutal.
Exactly, it can create a scenario where you have to just let a land go so to speak because dealing with the cities will lose you the game. Preventing the creation of cities is super important but it's really hard to prevent building all together.

Lorkenpeist wrote:
I haven't played a lot of scenarios, but I really enjoyed Second Wave on the thematic boards. We played with Brandenburg-Prussia, so the extra starting towns from later waves synergized well with the "do everything everywhere" strategy that BP uses. Having a map with recognizable regions that each have a story fits so well with the long term saga that Second Wave creates. I can point to different lands and say "that's where we got more and more blight stacked up every game, and those are the wetlands where they assaulted all 5 of River's sacred sites at once, and that's the mountain that we just couldn't keep them out of... It's a blast and I look forward to trying it again, especially combined with a certain scenario coming in Jagged Earth...
That sounds really cool. At the moment I'm doing random scenario draws + random adversary I haven't played against recently (so no french next time) but I might try this instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Conant
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan68 wrote:

Meanwhile, France has an added loss condition where if ever you have to place an 8th town on the board (meaning 7 are already on the board) you lose.
Note that the rule is, "You lose whenever you place the (7n+1)th Town (where n is the number of players)". It sounds like you were playing with two Spirits, so you should be allowed 14 Towns, rather than 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptierset wrote:
Jonathan68 wrote:

Meanwhile, France has an added loss condition where if ever you have to place an 8th town on the board (meaning 7 are already on the board) you lose.
Note that the rule is, "You lose whenever you place the (7n+1)th Town (where n is the number of players)". It sounds like you were playing with two Spirits, so you should be allowed 14 Towns, rather than 7.
Whoops, you are correct. I didn't play that the right way. I'll have to try this again with a few other spirits. I previously thought that Thunderspeaker and Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares were the only spirits who had a chance but more towns means you have a little more room to build up over time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls