Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Racism on Okla. TV? Or just a dimwit on TV? You decide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
the station had to let an employee go for racial insensitivity.
Sounds right to me. That's pretty fucking racially insensitive.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like racial insensitivity and ignorance. A lot of white people look at things like lynching as "bygones" that no one today should really be upset about...and all the explanations and examples to the contrary don't take root.

If this is the only thing she's done like this I would rather she had the chance to apologize and not lose her job over it. She was probably thinking "bad guy in a Western" rather than anything to do with lynching.

And, of course, all this could have been avoided if she just used a hung picture rather than a noose...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's stupid.

Hopefully she sues and gets a lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I thought of that question too. Because of the right angles, I picture what you draw for hangman more as a formal gallows (like a "bad guy in a Western" like Chad mentions), but I could see it offending someone.


Semi-related anecdote: One Halloween my late wife bought several skeletons that were made to hang up -- they had a string attached to the head, just above the back of the neck. She put them up in the tree in our front yard. When I got home from work that evening and saw them, it looked exactly like the scene of a mass lynching -- like I had seen in an old-time photograph. Before even pulling into the garage I had taken them all down. (We live in a very diverse neighborhood -- I would have taken them down anyway, but that quickened my pace.) She thought I was being silly, but I felt I had to be insistent on that one.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings
I thought it was more of a wild west outlaw theme.

Like this:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The game hangman dates to 17th century Europe. So yeah, totally racist.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I hate oars.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering Rolling Rock does stuff like this on their bottle caps, id be willing to let this one slide with an apology. Then everyone learns something and everyone is happy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I don't agree with this. Perhaps in some specific contexts, but hanging as a form of capital punishment has been around for millennia, and is still in use in Japan, one of the most racially homogeneous nations on earth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I don't agree with this. Perhaps in some specific contexts, but hanging as a form of capital punishment has been around for millennia, and is still in use in Japan, one of the most racially homogeneous nations on earth.
Is Oklahoma located in Japan?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
zuludawn wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I don't agree with this. Perhaps in some specific contexts, but hanging as a form of capital punishment has been around for millennia, and is still in use in Japan, one of the most racially homogeneous nations on earth.
Is Oklahoma located in Japan?
maybe in Bizarro Japan
trust me on this
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno...it really seems like a stretch to label drawing a hangman's noose as specifically racist. I mean, plenty of people of all races have been hung over the centuries so it just seems weird to me that someone would totally assume that the weather lady was making a deliberate racist statement with her drawing. I tend to favor liberal positions on social issues but this appears to be a massive assumption and overreaction.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mkmagius01 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
Sorry, ignorance is no excuse. I don't know what you do for a living, but please resign immediately. You don't deserve a livelihood.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware of the historical (racist) origins of “eenie meenie miney mo”. I know that most people aren’t and don’t mean it in that way.

My assumption is that many/most white people don’t/wouldn’t immediately think of a hangman’s noose as racist, but rather associate it with the Hangman game or possibly medieval/Old West. I would also assume that many/most blacks people (particularly in the US, and even more particularly in certain parts of the US.

I doubt this was consciously (or even unconsciously) intentionally racist on the lady’s part. At worst I would say you could accuse her of not thinking through the possible implications, particularly during this month. I think that the best recourse would be to explain to her the reason why it wasn’t a good idea, and have the station (and perhaps her specifically) issue an on-air apology and explain for the benefit of their (ignorant white) viewers what the connotations could be.

I say this because I know I am an ignorant white person and I know I wouldn’t have thought about this.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmagius01 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
Me too.

It’s stuff like this that just rattles me. All of the invisible foundations of racism that have been woven into hidden in American culture.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmagius01 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
Really it was whitewashed that quickly. In 1970s Dorset where there was 1 Asian kid in a school of 1200 white people you would have heard that phrase commonly in the playground for any picking activity. I don't think stopping the N word had ant traction at all until the middle seventies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
mkmagius01 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
Really it was whitewashed that quickly. In 1970s Dorset where there was 1 Asian kid in a school of 1200 white people you would have heard that phrase commonly in the playground for any picking activity. I don't think stopping the N word had ant traction at all until the middle seventies.
Well I was born in '76, so mid 70s. I grew up in the 80s. I was a nerd and spent the majority of my free time reading books and playing video games. I was pretty sheltered until I went to college.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
mkmagius01 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
batman wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
A question (because I really honestly don’t know and haven’t really thought about it before):

Is the child’s word game “Hangman” considered to be racist? I’ve never associated it with such, only with medieval hangings (like you’d see in a Robin Hood movie with with Kevin Costner). But I’m white and don’t know if that particular game is commonly associated with lynchings in the black community.
I wouldn't think it was. There're a lot of associations with a noose that aren't racist. The problem is that the most common association is racist, and kind of a big one at that.
I just learned that Eenie meanie miney mo is racist, and yeah, it is.
I had to look up what you meant. Wow. I've only ever heard of and used it as catch a tiger by its toe
Really it was whitewashed that quickly. In 1970s Dorset where there was 1 Asian kid in a school of 1200 white people you would have heard that phrase commonly in the playground for any picking activity. I don't think stopping the N word had ant traction at all until the middle seventies.
I’m a millennial, so it’s news to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
I don't agree with this. Perhaps in some specific contexts, but hanging as a form of capital punishment has been around for millennia, and is still in use in Japan, one of the most racially homogeneous nations on earth.
if your argument is "Japan isn't racist" oh man do I have some bad news for you
11 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
incidentally, "eenie meenie minie moe" is one of those things where calling it racist is probably an oversimplification, because it pre-dates the slave trade by a lot - like, "it is probably a remnant of prehistoric European languages" a lot, it's very likely the oldest phrase contained within the English language by centuries

sure, it got used in a racist rhyme when the slave trade popularized a particular racial slur, but it is not a racist invention in and of itself; rather, it was most likely an existing thingy that got adapted into racist lingo, because that's how racism works
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo llyboat
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
Bailey was dismissed just hours after she played a “mind mixer” word game on air, asking viewers to guess the answer to a conundrum showing the word “THERE’ with a hangman’s noose hanging off the letter ‘T’.
https://www.normantranscript.com/news/lawton-meteorologist-f...
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/mandy-bailey-...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |