Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Since Forbidden Fortress is something of a soft reboot for SoB (or at the very least, just another core set), I'm trying out a different way of playing the game since getting my KS pledge in, the idea is mostly stolen from Legacy games (like Gloomhaven). I'm playing a solo Hero campaign and the idea is to gradually unlock content over time, rather than just throwing everything out on the table all at once and just randomly encountering whatever whenever.

So the idea I'm trying out is starting off with just a basic monster (Acidic Tentacle), using only that monster for the first couple of missions, then switching to the next monster (maybe Devoured Dead, maybe one of the KS extras), then mixing the two together, and repeat. So over time the Threat deck will eventually build up to the random smorgasbord of creatures that it normally is, but each monster will get a chance to be "introduced" into the game, rather than just randomly occurring whenever.

Since I'm playing a solo Hero campaign, this will also help to make the intro levels a bit less punishing (along with some other tweaks), since I'm starting off with the smaller creatures. This will also need to be adjusted for the "Boss" creatures, since they don't really occur in the Low Threat deck, but I'll see how it goes.

For now I'm just playing with a Samurai Warrior, but I'm toying with the idea of requiring "retirement" before moving on to the next Hero type.

Essentially it's just an idea to keep the game "fresher" for longer. It always just feels like a crap-ton of content is just shotgun-blasted in your face when you get into the game and there's no real attempt to build up the tension/difficulty. I'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a single monster would not be very interesting. If I were to do it myself, I would probably start with core monsters only, and slowly add in others. Maybe I would introduce new monsters as I visit their otherworlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. I still have so much content I haven't had a chance to play in the original SoB that my gradual unlocking may take years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
After throwing everything together for the original SoB when the final wave arrived, I felt overwhelmed. FoFo would be a nice, fresh start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wonderloss wrote:
I think a single monster would not be very interesting. If I were to do it myself, I would probably start with core monsters only, and slowly add in others. Maybe I would introduce new monsters as I visit their otherworlds.
It's potentially not too bad on the first intro/basic missions. I played the intro mission (2 clues) and lucked out with only two fights, only two sets of tentacles. The next mission had a bit more combat, but I just amped up the difficulty on the final High Threat fight with more Elite abilities.

I don't know, I think I'm trying to treat it more like a focused, narrative experience rather than a random dungeon crawler. In videogames at least, you typically don't start off just fighting any and every random creature in the game. There's a build-up. You get used to (and sometimes bored with) early-level creatures before new ones are introduced, then you're dealing with mixed levels with multiple creature types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I don't know, I think I'm trying to treat it more like a focused, narrative experience rather than a random dungeon crawler.
I am doing the opposite because our group already has gloomhaven for a cohesive adventuring experience. But it is nice not to have that sort of baggage and just be able to play without caring too much about what happened earlier. Sort of the difference between a tv show where all the episodes tie together vs one wher eyou can watch them independently in any order and need minimal to 0 knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be nice if each mission had a "recommended Threat deck build", so that you could have just the monsters that made sense for that mission. This could be partial gradual build up (core box missions only have core box monsters) and then some alternate deck builds from the expansions (like "recommended" might include 2 or 3 expansion monsters, but they'd have an alternative core+expansion only build).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sort of been working on something like this in the last year (also after playing Gloomhaven). Starting with a really basic threat deck, then adding things to it as gates open up in adventures. Some travel hazards add things in as well. If gate to an other world is closed (though the Seal the Void Gate mission) then those monsters are taken out again. Having basically everything for Shadows helps make a basic deck of more "earthly" threats.

Basically I wanted to show monsters seeping into the world from open gates. It's also helped with the dilution problems that the threat decks can suffer from. It's worked pretty well so far. Hopefully I'll manage to codify the idea in a more share-able form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think fighting the same enemy repeatedly will get very boring quickly. I like the story elements that the themed mission packs brought, but rolling to see if we got the themed monster again can get old (“Oh, cool. More werewolves.”), and that only happened like half the time. I would recommend maybe adding similar key word enemies (myth, demon) together at the same time, and adding more as you go along. I know there is some crossover on keywords, but you can use your best judgement. Or you can add enemies incrementally by their number of legs, so acid blobs and tentacles in the beginning (0 legs), then add two legged humanoid creatures like oni or ninjas. Eventually if you stick to it you can use the Jorogumo themed event deck and have an epic spider finale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
If you're going to slowly unlock things, then I'd go beyond battles. I'd also include all the cards as well, as darkness/GD/encounter cards are just as important to play as fights are. Perhaps do the same with gear and artifacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it; I already mixed everything; but would follow this and see how it unfolds; considering how much I loved your HEX campaign (which btw would that work with this set?, we are hoping to play tthis version like that from the start) I know that I would be more than happy to divide all the deck and start this version in the future.

let us know how it goes.

ps we are also thinking about a "retirement variant" but for differents reasons lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a hexcrawl in much like the same way. If someone finds an artifact from a particular Otherworld, then we can have an otherworld adventure. If someone finds evidence of Vampires, then we go after vampires.

I have also read the flavor text of the adventures and some of them speak of "a man walks into a saloon", well we can only start THAT adventure if there is a saloon (or gambling hall) in town.

My favorite plan so far is that I found a lunar calendar for 1875 and when our posse finds themselves under a full moon in game, then the werewolves come out to play (Made sense to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I did this when we started new characters. It worked pretty well, but there wasn’t much rhyme or reason to what enemies were introduced at a certain point other than we wanted more difficult enemies for higher levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It'd be nice if each mission had a "recommended Threat deck build", so that you could have just the monsters that made sense for that mission. This could be partial gradual build up (core box missions only have core box monsters) and then some alternate deck builds from the expansions (like "recommended" might include 2 or 3 expansion monsters, but they'd have an alternative core+expansion only build).

-shnar
An app to randomize subsets of enemies or pull up appropriate sets for certain missions would be awesome.

I think the game needs an app in general to manage the massive amounts of stuff but that’s me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Card Warden for the ipad to be the most helpful thing ever. It holds:
Low Threat
Medium Threat
High Threat
Epic Threat
Jargono Threat
Targa Threat
Derelict Ship Threat
Blasted Wastes Threat
Cynder Threat
Trederra Threat
Loot
Scavenge
Trederra Scavenge
Mine Maps
Jargono Maps
Targa Maps
Cynder Maps
Blasted Wastes Maps
Trederra Maps
Blasted Wastes Maps
Canyon Maps

We have also put the mutation charts and the Hexcrawl books on the ipad as well. At one point I also had all the adventures scanned on it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I have found Card Warden for the ipad to be the most helpful thing ever. It holds:
Low Threat
Medium Threat
High Threat
Epic Threat
Jargono Threat
Targa Threat
Derelict Ship Threat
Blasted Wastes Threat
Cynder Threat
Trederra Threat
Loot
Scavenge
Trederra Scavenge
Mine Maps
Jargono Maps
Targa Maps
Cynder Maps
Blasted Wastes Maps
Trederra Maps
Blasted Wastes Maps
Canyon Maps

We have also put the mutation charts and the Hexcrawl books on the ipad as well. At one point I also had all the adventures scanned on it too.
Are the files available for download or did you have to take pictures of every card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd love to get ahold of something like that, though I still don't like Card Warden's interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Franck
France
Chelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of an evolving threat deck.I'd say the encounter deck should be related to the existence of open gates to otherworlds.

When, during your campaign, an otherworld entry is discovered, the related enemies are added to the threat deck (the players opened the gate from their side and now enemies can pop up). Also, once youv've run a specific mission that closes the otherworld, said enemies are removed from the threat deck.

So, you run a mission, find a gate, draw an otherworld card from the deck. It's Jargono. Add Serpentmen and Swamp slugs to the Mine threat deck because now they can come through the gate. Run a mission that eliminates a high priest of the serpentmen : the threat is cleared and they are removed from the deck.

Sounds like a very generic campaign system to me. The players keep fighting to protect the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
We haven't done it for FF yet (mostly because I'm still assembling and painting the FF models), but we did something similar for the mines.

Step 1, we started with a "standard" mine threat deck, with monsters that we figured are typical for the mines (rats, spiders, bandits, hydra, harbinger etc).

Step 2, if we wanted more challenge or variety, we'd pull in harvestors, Trederran raiders and/or Trun.

Step 3, During mission setup, if there was a chance to encounter a gate, we'd either pick the otherworld from the mission or draw 1-3 random world cards. We'd then add any mine related threat cards from those other worlds.

Step 4, if we wanted to go nuts (or we weren't that attached to the mission we picked) we'd add in a mission pack monster like vampires or lost army.

As an example, if a Jargono card was in the otherworld stack, we'd add slugs, serpentmen and raptors to the mine threat deck, this way they're available at the start of the mission. If you wait until you actually find a gate, that's probably too late as we almost always pop through the first gate we find.

I'm sure you could work it could work out the same way for FF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls