Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I love CTG's... love their products, story, attention to detail, etc.
I want to support the company, and I usually love their games.

I'm deciding on if I should get Cloudspire or not. Been watching the newer videos, and looking over stuff, but I just feel like I don't get it. Im' sure the incoming 3rd party videos will help, and I'm glad the PM stays open to accomodate them, but I just hear stuff like MOBA and Tower Defense, and while I basically know what those are (especially the former) I just feel clueless about what this game is and does.

I'm asking myself:
* am I going to play it solo over mage knight, TMB, Hoplo, or Gloom of Killforth?
* am I going to play it two player over 1000 other games (the answer is no)
* will I play it 3 or 4 player over games like Rising Sun, TMB, Western Legends, or Kemet?

The problem is, I feel like I don't get it enough to even begin to answer those questions.

any help/thoughts appreciated.

sidenote - CTG's is getting more of money soon, just not sure if this is the place it should go or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation. I love CTG's production quality, the way they run their company, and their customer service. I just am not feeling the pull of cloudspire, even though I really want to support them. I'm not sure why it hasn't grabbed me like some of their other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem is that there really isn't much more to go off of. Most of the answers to similar people posing similar questions has just been to brush them off and state that because CTG has done well in the past, this game cannot possibly be different or fail/or whatnot. I hope those 3rd party videos come, but honestly not sure if they're actually going to before they decide to close the PM, although I hope I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do feel like an in house "how to play" video would really help contextulize their play-through videos. It feels like all the videos are just them playing, and while some insight is provided, it's not enough b/c they are actually playing a game.

I really feel like a "how to play" is sorely missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in the same boat.

There are claims of replayability but other than the events, relics and starting position (from what I can tell from the solo gameplay video), everything else is pre-determined.

If there was some randomness in what units the AI spawned or in the AI fortress upgrades or the AI movement, I’ll think I’ll pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zekks wrote:
The problem is that there really isn't much more to go off of. Most of the answers to similar people posing similar questions has just been to brush them off and state that because CTG has done well in the past, this game cannot possibly be different or fail/or whatnot.
I don’t think that’s a fair characterisation at all. I think prior CTG customers are simply making the case that (1) we don’t necessarily have all the info on Cloudspire because CTG do significant development post-campaign, and (2) they’re willing to take the risk because CTG’s past efforts have been stellar.

zekks wrote:
I hope those 3rd party videos come, but honestly not sure if they're actually going to before they decide to close the PM, although I hope I'm wrong.
I think they will, but if they don’t and you’re unconvinced, buy at retail (CTG webstore) — nothing is exclusive and it will all be made available.

edit: Clarified that “retail” = CTG’s webstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
buy at retail — nothing is exclusive and it will all be made available.
There is no "retail", but you can always purchase from the CTG webstore.
It will cost more, but will give you time to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:

I think they well, but if they don’t and you’re unconvinced, buy at retail — nothing is exclusive and it will all be made available.
Another reason I love CTG. Good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a new IP so to speak for CTGs and if you're not feeling it, wait for the game to come out and you'll get a ton of reviews. (Especially if you've watched the play thoughs and still don't understand what the game is like).

I'm happy to back as what I've seen does look fun, a little different than other games I have and I do want to support the company and this new project.

I've backed some winners and some losers... I thinking this will be in the winner column, but I guess we'll find out this Summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Martin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a lot more third party videos coming out. Rolling Solo and Rob's Tabletop World have come out in the past couple of days. Hang tight, watch the new videos as they come in, and then you can decide. Or, wait to get it on the CTG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls