Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current method for determining blocked spaces is rather clunky IMHO. While the other player(s) choose starting tiles, one player has to draw tiles and look up spaces, and just seems somewhat clunky.

I was hoping to write a small program that chooses places for you, but it would take too long to enter the offered starting tiles.

Would it be okay to just randomly select X starting tiles from the whole set, instead of just the tiles that are not being chosen by the players? That is, is there some real gameplay connection between the starting tiles being offered to players, and the blocked positions listed on the other tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's possible that the designer matched the blocked tiles with the resources listed in some sort of balancing act, but I suspect that isn't the case and that it is random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
badge
_lo-ol_
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
The current method for determining blocked spaces is rather clunky IMHO. While the other player(s) choose starting tiles, one player has to draw tiles and look up spaces, and just seems somewhat clunky.

I was hoping to write a small program that chooses places for you, but it would take too long to enter the offered starting tiles.

Would it be okay to just randomly select X starting tiles from the whole set, instead of just the tiles that are not being chosen by the players? That is, is there some real gameplay connection between the starting tiles being offered to players, and the blocked positions listed on the other tiles?
One would still need to take the smartpgone/tablet/laptop run the program/app and check for the places to put the blocking tokens...
How less clunky would it be?

One player would still be placing tokens while yye others are selecting their starting tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
clunky? It takes about 30 seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it is faster with two players - one reads the cards and one places the blockers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want to sing out...
badge
Music is the sound of human emotion
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
I guess it's possible that the designer matched the blocked tiles with the resources listed in some sort of balancing act, but I suspect that isn't the case and that it is random.
I've always assumed this was exactly the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The actually designer didn’t come up with this method.
It was one of the development team. Most games are not just down to one person (or two), but normally a number of developers too. Something I learnt a while back when starting to work in the industry.
There are even part of Tzolk’in which were my ideas, which is really nice to see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls