Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
When assaulting, How do I calculate for defending cadre strength unit when the unit is saken or disrupted? Does it go to zero, negative, or remain at 1/2 SP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Using the universal rounding rule in rule 2.3 they should be at '0'

(2.3) - "If there are any game calculations to be made regarding SP values,
Movement Allowances, etc., maintain all fractions throughout the
entire calculation and then drop any remaining fraction at the end"

"EXAMPLE: If a unit’s SP value of 7 has to be halved twice for
various game conditions, it is halved the first time to 3.5 and the
second time to 1.75. The final adjusted SP value therefore is 1."

That means if at '0', any odds calculation should be given as a 3:1 in the attackers favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was Inquiring about the initial differential calculation as obviously the odds will be 3:1 once a modified defender hits 0 or less. We have been playing that even a for instance 1 SP BW unit that’s disrupted still just counts as 0 SP for the initial differential rather than -1. But I’ve never double checked that since technically no rounding is required. If it’s modified 4 SP attacker against -1 modified defender is the initial assault differential +5 or +4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
As I understand the rules, +5, because 12.2 says that the Assault Differential could be negative, so should be true even the inverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
I think he was Inquiring about the initial differential calculation as obviously the odds will be 3:1 once a modified defender hits 0 or less. We have been playing that even a for instance 1 SP BW unit that’s disrupted still just counts as 0 SP for the initial differential rather than -1. But I’ve never double checked that since technically no rounding is required. If it’s modified 4 SP attacker against -1 modified defender is the initial assault differential +5 or +4?
Jonathan,

His question about 1/2 SP appeared to come under the rounding rule to me and was answered as such. The 3:1 was added afterwards as a 'don't forget' type of comment.

As to your question, your defending unit will go to -1SP versus +4SP, so that would be a +5 starting differential. Units SP's can go below '0' as per the last paragraph of rule 3.1.3 and are calculated from whatever that minus position may be. Once reaching zero or below they can not fire (although a 'C' strength can fire on that column). Nor can they attack (they can defend) in close combat.

So yes, +5 in your example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMP wrote:
[q="umrmeche"]As to your question, your defending unit will go to -1SP versus +4SP, so that would be a +5 starting differential. Units SP's can go below '0' as per the last paragraph of rule 3.1.3 and are calculated from whatever that minus position may be. Once reaching zero or below they can not fire (although a 'C' strength can fire on that column). Nor can they attack (they can defend) in close combat.
Please forgive me if I don't grasp the above correctly.

This bothers me in that a very low SP unit,by going negative, basically subtracts defense value from other units in the hex.

For example, say a hex is defended by an infantry brigade w/4SP and a BW Cavalry unit at Cadre strength. The hex defense strength would be 4.5SP, rounded to 4SP.

Now say the Cavalry unit is Disrupted. That's -2 SP, or -1.5SP. Add this to the 4 SP infantry brigade and the hex defense strength is now 2.5 SP, rounded down to 2 SP.

This doesn't seem right, unless one argues that the hapless Cavalry troopers are running around in panic reducing the effectiveness of the accompanying infantry brigade.

Considering the negative SP's one gets from Shaken/Disruption isn't scaled to original unit SP, it seems more correct to say that a unit's SP can never be reduced below 0. (Unless, maybe, it's defending by itself?)

I am very new to this game so it's quite possible I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls